Covid-19

Estrella

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Estrella »

Ella77 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:30 pm I’ve just been reading today’s R29 money diary, which is set in Singapore, and I thought this bit was interesting. She’s going to the mall to get takeaway food for lunch.
I did that yesterday too. I even had S with me. I deliberately chose the quietest shopping centre near us. We went to spend her tooth fairy money (she got a pineapple lip gloss and unicorn post-it’s :love: ) and we got Korean fried chicken to take home for everyone.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It was specifically the mechanics of how they deal with the contact-tracing I meant. Not that she went to a mall. I thought it was interesting, and would never, ever happen here.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Contact tracing here is interesting. The app isn’t really spoken about anymore. Let me see if I can find something. It’s been in the news lately as they last (7th) death seems unexplainable and a case in Rockhampton is very confusing too.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

This is specific to my state (and the department I work for is involved - one of my former colleagues has been co-opted into this space on secondment): https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.bri ... 54xay.html

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.bri ... 54rf4.html

I went and got my eyebrows done last week and those types of places need a Covid plan, which includes mandatory collection of contact details when you book so that tracing can occur if need be.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I read something similar Ella, about a woman who travelled to (maybe transited through?) Hong Kong Airport. The speedy and extensive checks being done were just worlds apart from anything here.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

It's awful Est but all I can focus on in your post is that you got your eyebrows done. I've literally just tried to tidy mine up and thought, my God, I hope my salon opens up again soon. :shame:

The tracing plan sounds very good - as long as people stick to it, and remember it, and are honest.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Am I right that the government say people who are shielding in England can meet up with amother household? Jesus! That's crazy!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
smalex

Post by smalex »

Go outside I think is all. Eta: oh, no- if you live alone and shielding you can meet one other person.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes. They're not even pretending to care about public health now.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I see Johnson has apparently given Cummings a 'stern rebuke' and he is on his 'last chance'. Who do they think they are kidding? Johnson wouldn't dare stand up to Cummings! Just a media line to try and quieten down the plebs.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

The pictures of Brighton beach and elsewhere from yesterday have made me realise that to a certain extent I've long been a social distancer when it comes to that kind of thing. :)) I look and all I see/imagine is screeching kids, shouty parents, loud drunk groups of men, people playing music through tinny speakers and litter everywhere. But I've always thought that, whenever the papers are full of packed British beach pictures on Bank Holidays etc. Plus the traffic jam to get there.

Now add in covid 19 and the public loos being closed and the whole thing just looks even more grim and I'll stay in my nice peaceful, clean garden thanks (but I know that many people don't have that luxury, obviously)

Smal you really have nothing to feel guilty about but I can understand how the constant social media judging and mixed messaging has got to you.

And I have no idea when or if my work will come back in any substantial form, so I'm with you, and Luce, there.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

This is true, Rebs. I don't like going near people at the best of times unless I absolutely have to. :lol: As a family we've never been into that kind of thing. What are people doing defecating on the beach FFS? Can you imagine how mental they'd go if they saw dogs doing that?

Best wishes to you in your work situation too. Hopefully the next few months will start to pick up for many, many people.

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I suppose if you need to go, you need to go. They do need to reopen the toilets. The main beaches are always packed normally, Brighton, Bournemouth etc, and I would avoid them anyway. Best to strike out a bit if possible.
Malan
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Yes, giving people the green light to go places but not opening facilities is madness.

I hate crowds, too, to the point where I miss out on nice stuff. I've never been to the local Harbourside Festival, for example, because the sheer volume of people mean I'd hate it, however great the event.

There was a really shitty opinion piece in our local paper about how Weston super Mare council were giving an "offensive" message by asking visitors to stay away (for now). They quoted lots of local businesses, fish & chip shops, arcades etc, who obviously said they were desperate for business. A day later they had to close the local hospital - the entire hospital to admissions, not just A&E - because of a weird local spike in infections when the rates in the entire South West have been very low. There's no evidence it's due to day trippers, the hospital have said it could be trans-hospital and they've also stopped staff from working second jobs in other healthcare settings, but it sounds entirely sensible not to be encouraging visitors in their hoardes at this time.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

If we just bloody eased lockdown only when the data indicated we could and when numbers were low enough and training adequate enough for the tracking systems to be able to be effective, we wouldn't have clashes like this. It would be safe enough to open toilets ( pretty sure going in the open isn't ideal for public health either), councils and businesses would be more likely to be on the same page. Now we're all pulling in different directions. What a mess.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

At Weston they’ve got very proactive staff testing when compared to a lot of places so it would not surprise me at all if the extent of latent staff infection there (which I believe is the primary reason for the closure) is repeated elsewhere, just not identified.
Marth

Post by Marth »

The toilet thing also is worse for women, like a lot of this whole thing has been.
Malan
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'm with you Rebs, I don't understand the lure of the beach at the best of times ( bordering phobic about sand) so I'm more than happy to avoid that for the duration :lol:

I've said it before more than once but where is our plan? Our phased reopening scheme which would give some direction, scrutiny, hope... I just can't understand why there isn't more public/media call for one. This lobbing things out at random without consultation or forward planning is lunacy. I guess its stuck up Cummings arse.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Marth wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:32 am I suppose if you need to go, you need to go. They do need to reopen the toilets. The main beaches are always packed normally, Brighton, Bournemouth etc, and I would avoid them anyway. Best to strike out a bit if possible.
Well yes but...I honestly would rather poo myself than curl one out in public.

Marth

Post by Marth »

Lily wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:18 pm
Marth wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:32 am I suppose if you need to go, you need to go. They do need to reopen the toilets. The main beaches are always packed normally, Brighton, Bournemouth etc, and I would avoid them anyway. Best to strike out a bit if possible.
Well yes but...I honestly would rather poo myself than curl one out in public.
:mog: I imagine most people feel the same, but possibly not have the same control.
Malan