Covid-19

Disco

Re: The Bats Fully Approved Thread about Covid-19

Post by Disco »

It's all so shit. I mean - touch wood - me and mine are all well and good but it's shit, isn't it. I'm over it today.

Happy belated birthday, Smal!
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Yes, sorry, happy birthday for yesterday, Smal. I'm glad you were able to make the most of it.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:48 pm I'm just venting but I knew once the schools and universities went back, it would be all bets off - it just stands to reason.
The thing I find so hard to fathom is that they wantEd people back in offices about as soon as the children went back to school. I get that people need childcare, but are you fucking kidding me, we should all sit in offices with tens/hundreds of people whose children are back in school? ARE YOU FUCKING SURE ABOUT THIS?
rosy

Post by rosy »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:17 pm
smalex wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:13 pm Oh don't be sorry for us, we're way better off than a lot of people. Fucking hunting though. Hunting. Fuck off.
It's the fucking hypocrisy. And the fact we're being encouraged to dob each other in when fucking moneybags Cummings just stuck his contemptuous nose in the air at the attempts to bring him to book, and is untouchable.
this is how I feel. And powerless to do anything about it.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Ella77 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:21 pm
Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:48 pm I'm just venting but I knew once the schools and universities went back, it would be all bets off - it just stands to reason.
The thing I find so hard to fathom is that they wantEd people back in offices about as soon as the children went back to school. I get that people need childcare, but are you fucking kidding me, we should all sit in offices with tens/hundreds of people whose children are back in school? ARE YOU FUCKING SURE ABOUT THIS?
It doesn't make sense if you start from the assumption they want to make a success of this and do what's best for the UK. This then comes back to your point about it being deliberate and tied to Brexit. If you assume they want to break the country in two socially, and wreck it economically, while denying they're doing this, then it makes a dreadful sense.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I know we are dealing with different specifics of outrageousness from respective governments/administrations, but that feeling of powerlessness is EXACTLY how it feels here all the time. About everything. It’s so exhausting.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:21 pm Yes, sorry, happy birthday for yesterday, Smal. I'm glad you were able to make the most of it.
Thanks!
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Epponnee Rae wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:29 pm I know we are dealing with different specifics of outrageousness from respective governments/administrations, but that feeling of powerlessness is EXACTLY how it feels here all the time. About everything. It’s so exhausting.
Oh, I think there's a horrible amount of commonality between Trumpian politics and our shithouse of a government.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Ella77 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:21 pm are you fucking kidding me, we should all sit in offices with tens/hundreds of people whose children are back in school? ARE YOU FUCKING SURE ABOUT THIS?
Yes! I had back to back meetings today - wfh obvs, thankfully - and a lot of my colleagues have toddlers in nursery. 100% of them have a cold right now and 50% had their children at home off nursery because their children have a minor cough with their cold symptoms and they didn't know what to do so are isolating, working and parenting so as to not send their children in. Thanks goodness my company are not making us go into offices. I'd be a nervous wreck.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I completely agree (ETA with Rebs). It’s just showing up a bit differently in the specific actions is what I meant, but the MO’s are increasingly convergent.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

That also goes for commuting as well. Mr R has decided to drive to his voice job in Greenwich/Blackheath tomorrow. It would have been 2 changes and three trains all in rush hour. I genuinely still don't know how busy our trains are now but the timings were similar and and an hour on the M25 seems preferable to him as things are with figures rising again.

Once he's there it's just him, so that's good.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

With the children and teenagers back at school/uni, and twenty somethings in full social swing, the parents really need to be the buffer between them and the grandparents. I know that's simplistic but it's a good argument for not encouraging people back to the office or onto public transport. .
Little My

Post by Little My »

It's all going to shit here too. Classes haven't even started yet at uni, but the students are in residence and there's already an outbreak declared to the point they now have a mobile testing station on campus. The rest of the testing centres are all maxed out and can't cope with the demand. And schools are back this week. It's so upsetting.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Little My wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:12 pm It's all going to shit here too. Classes haven't even started yet at uni, but the students are in residence and there's already an outbreak declared to the point they now have a mobile testing station on campus. The rest of the testing centres are all maxed out and can't cope with the demand. And schools are back this week. It's so upsetting.
Are you in Canada? Sorry, I've forgotten.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Queensland is going ok just now. We are getting cases but they are linked to two small clusters and the new cases tend to be from people who are already isolating/it’s spreading within family unit at home. We are at 28 active cases for the whole state. And testing is happening/is readily available. But what is really getting to me is that we are essentially isolated. Our state borders are closed with the exception of South Aus/Northern Territory. And our international borders are closed too. For the foreseeable future. It’s not sustainable. We can’t live in our little QLD bubble forever. And I can’t even begin to think of what I do if something happens to my parents. What with the limits on flights if I do get an exemption to travel and the $$$ mandatory hotel quarantine and I don’t think I could get to them.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

The entire PE department in Joe's school are at home isolating as one of the staff tested positive. Apparently none of the children are counted as close contacts, so it sounds as though it's someone who doesn't directly teach (although I have no idea if this is even a thing).
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Epponnee Rae wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:29 pm I know we are dealing with different specifics of outrageousness from respective governments/administrations, but that feeling of powerlessness is EXACTLY how it feels here all the time. About everything. It’s so exhausting.
Yes, total powerlessness. And everything is confusing. It's not just having to accept a grim reality, we don't actually know what the reality is.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

God, Five. Exactly that. I feel like being told clearly how shit things are is infinitely better than not actually knowing.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Smunder Woman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:22 pm The entire PE department in Joe's school are at home isolating as one of the staff tested positive. Apparently none of the children are counted as close contacts, so it sounds as though it's someone who doesn't directly teach (although I have no idea if this is even a thing).
Apparently when you get a positive test, Test & Protect will talk to you about who you have been in close contact with, and who needs to be notified.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Unfortunately there are loads of reports of people with a positive result who haven’t been contacted.