Covid-19

wendy james

Re: Covid-19

Post by wendy james »

bramblerose wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:27 am What I don't understand is why, when you don't have to wear a mask, do people insist on having one on their chin...just don't wear it or put it on properly!
I saw two women walk through Primark in Bath on Sunday with masks on their chin and wondered aloud what the point of that was. :lol:

I'm really noticing the mask wearing dropping in the past couple of weeks. Probably because I'd been out and about, travelling to the office, staying in hotels, etc in the earlier post-lockdown days when it was still mandatory.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm in a small lecture room today with about 50 students, for 90 mins. No one in masks, everyone happily sitting with just one tiny window open until I did some more, loads of coughing, students bunched right up next to each other exactly as pre pandemic. I'm in a mask and feeling quite anxious. So universities are no better than schools!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Bedford Falls

Post by Bedford Falls »

There's definitely been a reduction in mask wearing on transport in London the last couple of weeks. Since returning to my commute back in June, I have generally felt in the minority of mask wearers on my rail service (c2c), whereas on the underground (Jubilee/Central) the majority of fellow commuters wore masks. This morning I would estimate that only myself and a few others wore masks on the underground.

But then, during PMQs earlier, one half of the house (Conservative) were 99% mask-free with nearly all opposition party members wearing masks (and I note that the union for the staff working within the chamber are up in arms over the Speaker making a hoo-ha over returning MPs dress code but remaining shtum over mask-wearing).
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Bedford Falls wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:28 pm
But then, during PMQs earlier, one half of the house (Conservative) were 99% mask-free with nearly all opposition party members wearing masks (and I note that the union for the staff working within the chamber are up in arms over the Speaker making a hoo-ha over returning MPs dress code but remaining shtum over mask-wearing).
:ella: The real priority for politicians, sure.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Kenickie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:46 am I'm in a small lecture room today with about 50 students, for 90 mins. No one in masks, everyone happily sitting with just one tiny window open until I did some more, loads of coughing, students bunched right up next to each other exactly as pre pandemic. I'm in a mask and feeling quite anxious. So universities are no better than schools!
Can you ask your students to wear masks, or at least make it clear that that is what you would prefer?
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:27 pm
So basically, Lily's person was probably within the guidance but perhaps not best practice.
Which is so infuriating because if it were mandatory she would've stayed away! The wooliness of the regulations, or lackthereof, is so intense you could knit a sheep with it.

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Lily wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:03 pm
Kenickie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:46 am I'm in a small lecture room today with about 50 students, for 90 mins. No one in masks, everyone happily sitting with just one tiny window open until I did some more, loads of coughing, students bunched right up next to each other exactly as pre pandemic. I'm in a mask and feeling quite anxious. So universities are no better than schools!
Can you ask your students to wear masks, or at least make it clear that that is what you would prefer?
I was observing so they weren't my students - with mine I'm not allowed to ask as it's not compulsory. I was more concerned for them than me as I was only there for one session - I can't imagine that it's not going to spread through programmes like wildfire when this is what we've got.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

It went through universities like wildfire when there weren’t lectures and the pubs were closed so I can’t see how it won’t do likewise now. At my place lecturers can ask people to wear masks (they just can’t challenge exemptions) and there is a slide at the beginning of lectures asking students to wear face coverings. I’m not sure how closely it’s being followed though. I’ve seen plenty of people wandering around buildings without masks.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Hopefully vaccines are enough to for it not to go around like wildfire in Universities. Unlike schools which are totally riddled.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I’m really confused about what I’m supposed to be doing with a mask here, so I sympathize with the confusion you’ve all been dealing with. I’ve seen more mask elevating on the tube than I expected but definitely not 100%. But wearing them inside shops and bars is a really free for all, though most staff are wearing them. I’m trying to wear them anywhere inside that’s a communal space unless I’m eating/drinking something. Often that has meant that (except for public transport and staff), I’m the only one wearing one!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Chicky wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:28 pm It went through universities like wildfire when there weren’t lectures and the pubs were closed so I can’t see how it won’t do likewise now. At my place lecturers can ask people to wear masks (they just can’t challenge exemptions) and there is a slide at the beginning of lectures asking students to wear face coverings. I’m not sure how closely it’s being followed though. I’ve seen plenty of people wandering around buildings without masks.
We used to have that slide which has been removed, and it also used to be a screensaver and has now been replaced with a picture of a building. :woteva:
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Luce wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:12 pm Hopefully vaccines are enough to for it not to go around like wildfire in Universities. Unlike schools which are totally riddled.
Very true. The vaccine bus was on campus today and whenever I walked past there were people getting jabbed, and lots more people saying they’d been jabbed when asked.

Why on earth have they removed that Ken?
Little My

Post by Little My »

Pfft. I keep seeing yard signs here that say 'Be kind, wear a mask' and I keep thinking I would like one of those because it sets expectations.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Lily wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:03 pm
One of my team sat in with Brass Neck recently and she did just that. Told in no uncertain terms, rather than asked. My colleague was in awe, but it caused some discussion as we've been told we can't intervene. There's a poster (singular) asking students to wear a mask, which no-one pays the slightest attention to.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

We've been told we're not allowed mention it. We were originally told we were not allowed wear masks when teaching, but that was quickly changed.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Not allowed to mention it?? FFS.

Pandemic, shmandemic I guess.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Not allowed? What?!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

This makes me very, very angry. It is your HEALTH, you are fully entitled to ask someone to do something to protect your health (and theirs). Universities disappoint me on a regular basis nowadays.

lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

It'll become obligatory in enclosed spaces from October, I have no doubt. Nothing like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Jesus Christ! How long before we are not allowed to ask men to wear condoms? I mean, that’s an entirely different topic/thread but NOT fucking ALLOWED to mention something so enormous and important?!