Vaccine (Good) News

Derek Nimmo

Re: Vaccine (Good) News

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I think GP practices have been asked to join together to run the vaccine programmes, so it will depend on (a) their efficiency and (b) the profile of their patient population as to how quickly it gets done in each particular area. I may be talking out of my arse though :look:
Last edited by Derek Nimmo on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Has it been said here already? I've read that you should keep your NHS number to hand as this is the biggest hold up once people are called for booking. Although now I've typed that out if it's your surgery calling then they'll have that, won't they? So perhaps that's bullshit.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I don't think that's the case Disc. Which is handy as I have zero idea what mine is or where to find it.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I was surprised they were getting to a 74yr old already, I have to admit, I don't think she's got many underlying conditions, but I might be wrong. If it helps Marth, S's 93yr old nan is still waiting.

It's definitely not going to be evenly distributed.
Disco

Post by Disco »

My friend's 90 year old dad is still waiting too.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Luce wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:38 pm Yeah, I’m worried this thread might cause resentment. We mustn’t forget whose fault it is - not that any of us here are likely to!
I haven't forgotten whose fault it is. I do not blame Smal's auntie or anyone for getting the vaccine.

I hold bitterness against the government for not even getting this right.

Saying that it is actually hard seeing people have it and waiting....
Malan
smalex

Post by smalex »

I know, I'm sorry (honestly I am).
Marth

Post by Marth »

smalex wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:48 pm I know, I'm sorry (honestly I am).
Noooo. It's honestly heartening to see people are having it. Each person jabbed feels one jab nearer to protecting us all who are waiting
Malan
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

It depends how many people are in each area (I don't know the correct term); if one area has about 12 91 year olds, and another has 71, Area A is likely to go to the 80 year olds before Area B does.

It's great to read about it slowly but surely being rolled out. Wonderful news.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
smalex

Post by smalex »

But I do know how difficult it is to feel cheerful for people getting good news when this whole thing has been so drawn out and depressing and demoralising. It's like when they sent some years back to school in the first lockdown, and really it should've been happy news, but I wanted to throw myself off something because it wasn't the end of OUR waiting.
Marth

Post by Marth »

smalex wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:52 pm But I do know how difficult it is to feel cheerful for people getting good news when this whole thing has been so drawn out and depressing and demoralising. It's like when they sent some years back to school in the first lockdown, and really it should've been happy news, but I wanted to throw myself off something because it wasn't the end of OUR waiting.
Yes, it is a bit like that. It's all so shit.
Malan
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

This is the good news thread, people!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yes. Ahem. Back to it
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

My lovely friend who was an NHS volunteer in the first lockdown, is being a vaccine volunteer this time round. She's done all her training and is doing two shifts a week at Excel starting next week.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

One of the venerable elder members of my walking group got her jab the other day. Possibly a bit after the horse had bolted, as she was hospitalised for a few days last year with Covid for oxygen support. But still, double whammy. :))
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

The vaccine hub for our Oxford vaccines opens tomorrow about 20 metres from my office.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

If you don’t know your NHS number you can ring your GP surgery and ask for it.

Mr C’s aunt and uncle (89 and 91) respectively have been done which I’m pleased about. They live in Eastbourne too so probably represent the lower end of the age bracket :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

I just thought the other day how long it would take to get through phase 1 in Eastbourne :lol:
Marth

Post by Marth »

Chicky wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:16 pm
Mr C’s aunt and uncle (89 and 91) respectively have been done which I’m pleased about. They live in Eastbourne too so probably represent the lower end of the age bracket :))
:mog:

You don't need your NHS number. It's fake news.
Malan
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

I don't know the full ins and outs but not all Practices started at the same time. It was done in waves so I think the last ones have only started this week. So for example where I work was wave 3, we did our first lot of vaccinating last week and have more clinics this week. Our 75-79 year old, plus any 80+ that haven't been done, are being invited.

Some GP practices won't have signed up to it for various reasons (complex logistics, lack of staff to name a couple).

While the background admin and end administration are very similar to the flu vaccine there is a logistical stuff around storage and preparation that make things more difficult. Also add in goaslposts being moved at the drop of a hat (eg: we were told at lunchtime to cancel 2nd dose appointments but 3 hours later told to wait).

Also the flu vaccines are always ordered months in advance and delivery dates are set so clinics are easier to plan. With the covid vaccine delivery is only confirmed at short notice (eg we don't yet know if we will get a delivery next week so can't invite patients). Hopefully this will ease as time goes by and they can guarantee manufacture.