Covid-19

emma_p

Re: Corona Virus

Post by emma_p »

This seems like a good summary of what you can do:
https://www.npr.org/2020/02/27/81001661 ... nd-prevent
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I advocate the nhs hand washing. I advocate this anyway having worked around so many immune suppressed people. (I don’t sing happy birthday though, just follow the 14 ish steps)

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-bo ... our-hands/

This is also helpful https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-covid-19?

ETA the Carex gel I have is 70% alcohol.

Eta eta I can’t bear seeing people anti bacing instead of hand washing before eating etc. It grimes me out. (This of course, when hand washing facilities are readily available)
Malan
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Yes I agree. I hate it if there’s no soap in loos and have to use anti bac.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Same; it's a last resort, not an instead-of, surely. (I will look out for the Carex gel, Marth, thanks.)

I do think THOUGH that the increased popularity of those incredibly loud, cold hand dryers (Dyson Airblade, etc.) puts people off washing their hands.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Also, loads of those hand gels have bitrex in to stop Alcoholics drinking them so if you use them and then eat a sandwich, it makes it taste like shit.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Why has my phone capitalised Alcoholics?
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I hate those hand dryers. we have them at work and they displace my hand skin most unattractively. They have also given me eczema, they are so hot and drying.
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I find them simultaneously cold and hot, and I can’t bear the noise.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I was somewhere with one of those a while ago and they evidently didn't clean it out very often because there was a pool of rancid looking water and grim in the bottom of it. Which is something you didn't have to worry about with old fashioned dryers
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

I like seeing my skin go all ripply with the air dryers but I saw something a while ago that said paper towels were more hygienic. This may have been it.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... n-airblade
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

In the motorway services yesterday the loos had liquid soap but only icy cold water and the Dyson Blade dryers had been set to cold. Not a pleasant experience.
It always amazes me how many women don't wash their hands after using the loo and how many give their fingers a cursory rinse under the tap afterwards.

I tend to use my sleeve to pull open the toilet doors if I can.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Ella77 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:26 am Same; it's a last resort, not an instead-of, surely. (I will look out for the Carex gel, Marth, thanks.)
Yes, to be clear I want anti bac/ disinfectant for the flight surfaces like trays rather than to keep my hands clean as the taste of that stuff is horrible.

I’m always amazed at how so many people don’t wash their hands properly too, Tsu. I have a tendency to go full OCD (especially when stressed) so public facilities always stress me out at the best of times.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

There is a confirmed case in Gloucestershire - useful, as Gloucestershire is a pretty big place. :ella: We have bloody R.ace Week starting next week, which it might be wise to cancel, but I don't think anyone will consider doing that as it, along with its drunks and strippers, brings in a lot of money to the town. Though the ground is so wet I'm hopeful they will say the horses can't run on it.
Last edited by Lily on Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I have the Carex gel, but like others say, it's only when there's no option to wash my hands.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
smalex

Post by smalex »

Zoomer wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:27 pm Merde alors! The Semi Marathon of Paris tomorrow has been cancelled and it looks like the actual Marathon will be too. France has forbidden all gatherings of more than 5000 people.
God what a disappointment for all those people :cry:

I'm worried now even if I get my foot fixed and get training again it'll be bloody cancelled anyway!
indigo

Post by indigo »

I'm actually getting a bit worried about this.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Someone ought to tell the WHO to calm the fuck down
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Some dick in my office has been posting photos of his skiing trip in Italy saying he can't wait to get back and spread the virus in the UK. He may be posting old photos and thinking he's funny, but I've emailed our PGR director and his head of dept to make sure they're aware there is a PhD who should be self-isolating (whenever he gets back). I almost hope he is pretending to be away and gets pulled up for it, the wee fud.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Nice one, Smunder.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

Beatrix wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:03 pm I’ve seen several people sharing this post which has annoyed me. The virus may not be “that bad” but the consequences of hundreds of thousands (and more) people getting it are pretty dire and certainly will effect most people whether directly or indirectly.
I know there are loads of horrible potential consequences for basically everyone but I can kind of see why people are posting this kind of thing. As it can be really stressful and panic-inducing and maybe they find it comforting to think like this.