Covid-19

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: Covid-19

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m thinking of buying a litter picker when the weather is better and going out with a bin bag, but I would not be doing that.

The pandemic has really set back all of the great gains wed made in reducing single use stuff.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I've picked a couple up in the park (safely) and binned them because I worry about the animals. I'd never wash one though!

I think I'll get a litter picker too.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

We’re down to 294 cases per 100k now. That’s two weeks in a row where it’s dropped now.

The mask thing is revolting.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

It really has, hasn’t it? :(

The amount of plastic bags we got from online deliveries was horrific (I’ve given them all to the foodbank now), and it’s worse now that they use tray liners as they can’t even be reused easily. At the moment I’m using them as bubble wrap to pack parcels when I send things but it’s not great. I can’t even opt out of using the tray liners at the moment as whilst I have to unpack by the front door, and then transport it through the house, doing it without tray liners would just make an already difficult task even worse (plus risk of children breaking things as they like to “help” when the delivery arrives).
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I was thinking of getting a litter picker. :dotty: I just used to pick up with gloves but that feels multiply risky icky now.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Used to as in 'before Covid'.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

We take the crates in, empty them in the kitchen, then hand them back Pov; is that an option?

I think we'll all need to be out litter picking; it's so grim. Also, I need to fashion myself a mobile jet wash - like a Ghostbusters pack - to wash all the bloody dog shit off the pavements. This morning's run was like an assault course.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

A litter-picker is a v good idea; I've picked up some stuff when I'm wearing gloves, but the amount of it about is sickening. It genuinely makes me miserable when I drive anywhere because the roadsides are just covered in it. And what is it with people not bothering to pick up dog poo anymore? We've all regressed.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Princess Morripov wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:28 pm It really has, hasn’t it? :(

The amount of plastic bags we got from online deliveries was horrific (I’ve given them all to the foodbank now), and it’s worse now that they use tray liners as they can’t even be reused easily. At the moment I’m using them as bubble wrap to pack parcels when I send things but it’s not great. I can’t even opt out of using the tray liners at the moment as whilst I have to unpack by the front door, and then transport it through the house, doing it without tray liners would just make an already difficult task even worse (plus risk of children breaking things as they like to “help” when the delivery arrives).
I would write in and complain: I did this to Boots yesterday.

bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I think if you contact your local council they will provide you with litter pickers and a bin bag holder thing. I know ours does (did)
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Princess Morripov

I can’t really complain at the moment because my beef is with Covid and the delivery man no longer able to bring it directly through to my kitchen :lol: I can’t really lift the crates myself because my back is a bit jiggered and I’d absolutely trip over a well meaning small chap getting in the way. So the easiest thing is to request it bagged and lash it all out of the crates into the hallway as quick as possible and then transport them through afterwards :blah:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

They could be using paper/biodegradable tray liners though; that kind of thing makes a difference.

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

bramblerose wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:42 pm I think if you contact your local council they will provide you with litter pickers and a bin bag holder thing. I know ours does (did)
Thank you! I'll give this a go.

Luce

Post by Luce »

We’ve got litter pickers! We usually go out litter picking then end up in the pub! We used to, anyway. I have a picture from a few years ago where I look ridiculously chuffed when they all go delivered! :lol: Simpler times.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I empty the crates at my front door into reusable Bags For Life, then redistribute stuff to its home in the pantry/kitchen etc in the bags, Pov, is your back too knackered for that (if so I’m sure lugging a full crate’s-worth in a liner must be significantly heavier)?
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

H1ppychick wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:13 pm I empty the crates at my front door into reusable Bags For Life, then redistribute stuff to its home in the pantry/kitchen etc in the bags, Pov, is your back too knackered for that (if so I’m sure lugging a full crate’s-worth in a liner must be significantly heavier)?
I do this. We are not given the option of bags any more.

I say "I", but since lockdown this is Sb1's Job of the Week. He wipes it all and puts it away as well.
Malan
Princess Morripov

Oh, that’s a good idea thank you. I’ll do that on my next order, I don’t know why that didn’t occur to me :lol:

I don’t lug the whole liner into the kitchen at the moment, just out quickly into the hallway to get rid of the delivery person ASAP and then lift a few bits out of the heavy ones first before carrying them in when they are light enough but just bagging them at the door instead should do tbh :))
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

My council will give our litter pickers. Children do seem to love it too. They spend hours at school in a litter-free playground scratching at leaves and stuff.

We bring the crates through but if I'm on my own, I just pile all the stuff by the door and make the delivery man wait. I got so sick of all the bags in the first lockdown and Sainsbury's aren't on crate liners.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

H1ppychick wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:13 pm I empty the crates at my front door into reusable Bags For Life, then redistribute stuff to its home in the pantry/kitchen etc in the bags, Pov, is your back too knackered for that (if so I’m sure lugging a full crate’s-worth in a liner must be significantly heavier)?
This is genius! I bring the crate through normally but it's often a really struggle to lift it so this is much better.

My area is down to 136 per 100k which is down from 220 last week, so nearly halving each time. This has cheered me up a bit.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

IKEA bags are also good for this although you have to resist the temptation to fill them too much.