Covid-19

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I think they know official people will be checking up on them. You can’t account for once the customers are wankered, but places are generally starting with good intentions.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

My town was awful today. The amusement arcades reopened and were full to bursting all handling cash and nearly every pub was open and packed. Although, it was all indoors.

I had to pop into a supermarket to use the pharmacy and there was no one on the door monitoring the door.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I read that the guidance is all advisory only and nothing is enforceable, but can't remember the source or when this was so may possibly be bollocks/ out of date.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

There hasn't been a lot of guidance given to pubs in Scotland yet, they can reopen on 15th so its at least mid week. My brother has ordered perspex screens for the bar (costing £££) and his pub is big enough that he can separate tables quite well. There is no chance of bringing in an app though, most of his customers will still have phones with buttons!

The advantage when monitoring pubs is that they have licences so those can be withdrawn for non compliance but I doubt that will actually happen.
Last edited by sally maclennane on Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

cluefree wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:42 pm I don’t mean sensible shit like this, by the way. I mean sitting cheek by jowl with four billion other people.
No I get that. :)) I totally agree. What they're doing in the Old Bastard Arms in my dad's village is clearly not what's happening in Soho.

Me and my dad are both quite pleased that it means loads of places have now invested in technology that allows you to pay contactless though. I bet the money-laundering industry is on its knees.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Mountain Goat wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:51 pm I read that the guidance is all advisory only and nothing is enforceable, but can't remember the source or when this was so may possibly be bollocks/ out of date.
That’s it, they’re only guidelines, nothing enforceable. I read that too.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

If you are breaching the guidelines though, it's likely you'll have your licence revoked. I think that's happening to a pub in our town that didn't close properly for the initial lockdown.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Yep, pubs are subject to a lot of regulations anyway.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

This was 8.00 AM outside of a less than salubrious pub in Newcastle city centre.

Screenshot 2020-07-04 at 20.06.46.png

Sorry for the poor quality photo, but I saw it earlier, and when I went to the site to copy it, it had been replaced with a thumbnail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

cluefree wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:40 pm
Ella77 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:31 pm I genuinely, genuinely can’t fathom it.
Me neither. We have the third highest number of deaths in the world.
I don't know why it's not being pointed out (well, nowhere I've seen) that we have a third of the death toll of the US, but the UK is very far from a third of the size of it. Surely we must have the worst rate of all.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I guess it's some kind of not wanting to believe it's as bad as it is, or a kind of ignore it and it won't be real? Or people having had enough of lockdown?

There's a pub near me which has a big lovely beer garden and unless they've added loads of tables, really spaced out seating. I'd consider going there when it reopens but I can't imagine going anywhere inside for a good while.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I think councils have the power to enforce businesses keeping to the social distancing. That's what I was told in a work context by the Local Government Association. Whether councils have the means or inclination to do so is another matter.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

The one I posted with the queue has no beer garden. I have never been in it, but there are always dodgy-looking characters standing outside smoking at all hours of the day, so there is clearly no access to anywhere at the back.

It is bang in the city centre, with no residential housing around it, so the queuers must have traveled in to be there for opening time. It's madness.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

I think we do have the worst rate of all, don’t we? It’s shocking.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

:ella:
nineseven wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:15 pm
I don't know why it's not being pointed out (well, nowhere I've seen) that we have a third of the death toll of the US, but the UK is very far from a third of the size of it. Surely we must have the worst rate of all.
This has been confusing me too! Everybody’s saying how bad the situation is in America, but it’s loads worse here, right?
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Ella77 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:44 pm :ella:
nineseven wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:15 pm
This has been confusing me too! Everybody’s saying how bad the situation is in America, but it’s loads worse here, right?
Mr O and I have been talking about this today and I’ve been trying to look for info as to why the death rates vary so much between the US and UK. There just seem to be so many factors in play but mainly the UK locking down way too late and the US having more intensive care beds so it’s been able to cope with cases much better. How deaths are reported varies so much too and I can’t actually get my head around it.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Disco wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:56 am I don't know. Do you wash your shopping packaging and parcels and stuff?
Yes, I thought I was maybe over the top with that. My best guess is that R picked it up during his appointment with the ortho surgeon and passed it to me without becoming sick himself. It's only made me feel more paranoid about whether or not the guidelines in my state (Michigan) are strict enough.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Is treatment for Covid free in the US? For those without insurance, I mean? I was assuming so, or the infection rates would shoot up, but I don't think I've heard one way or the other.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

The government is covering uninsured Americans for coronavirus treatment, as far as I know.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Thanks. I thought they must be, or it would make matters worse.