Covid-19

Penny Century

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Penny Century »

Am I being dense - why aren't there any other European countries on that chart?
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

Ah, I've answered my own question - it's the 20 countries currently most affected.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes, on further investigation they've not included all countries, Belgium is higher than us (as are San Marino and Andorra, but for obvious reasons).

https://twitter.com/SpareElbowSkin/stat ... 24/photo/1
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Though that's a very optimistic estimate of our number of deaths (may also be the case for other countries, mind).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Penny Century wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:21 pm Ah, I've answered my own question - it's the 20 countries currently most affected.
This makes it so much worse, doesn't it? The comparison with other European countries. I'm so ashamed of this shitty government.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

True, we are, but that was not kept a secret from us so you'd think it would be reason to act particularly promptly and stringently.

I can't start on Sunak's package, I need a lie down.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Your leadership is the problem, basically.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

No shit.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

It's such a scandal isn't it, but one that seems to be doing no real damage to the government.
Malan
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

It's helping the Scottish independence cause no end though.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Penny Century wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:21 pm Ah, I've answered my own question - it's the 20 countries currently most affected.
omg, so a double whammy of disastrousness? :cry:
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Heebie Jeebie wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:33 pm It's helping the Scottish independence cause no end though.
Definitely plus Brexit had already had an impact, i reckon.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Montana

Post by Montana »

Heebie Jeebie wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:33 pm It's helping the Scottish independence cause no end though.
Strangely enough, not such a reassuring thought for those of us down here. :lg:
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Our local Tesco express has taken away the one way system and social distancing signs!

I also had a heated discussion with a friend about social distancing. I am under the impression that if you meet with another household indoors* (at a pottery painting studio, as an example) that unless you are in a social bubble, you have to be 1m+ away from each other?

She says not..two families can meet, full stop...no distancing.

*Or outdoors.

This is why I won't be going out anywhere, any time soon where there are other people. The guidelines are not understood by everyone (including me if I am wrong!)
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

Ours has done the same bramble, and stopped monitoring the numbers going in. It really took me aback when I went the other day. Though of course no-one was following the 2m distancing.

I understood that when meeting indoors that you’re meant to distance too, unless you’re in a bubble. I know very few people who actually are though (in real life, obvs).
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

That is my understanding too Bramble, with the exception in Scotland, of under 12s. We have just veen given the go ahead here to meet indoors as of tomorrow so I have arranged to visit my brother at the weekend, and I can hug TTN* but have to keep my distance from my brother and SIL.

*in theory, anyway but she's not a very huggy child :lol:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Being allowed to do indoor visits pleases me as it means I may actually get to do something for my birthday next week. I am still totally against going out anywhere to eat or drink at the moment unless it's fully outside and distanced, I just wouldn't be comfortable inside a pub or restaurant yet.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I've totally lost track of what's allowed and what's not by this point, partly because I have no intention of doing a lot of the things I'm now being encouraged to do, so it's kind of pointless to try to keep up. But also because it's all vague, poorly communicated nonsense. As far as I can tell you should keep your distance from people UNLESS a financial transaction is involved, in which case you can rub yourself all over them if you like. Just hand over your card afterwards.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I went to Aldi this morning which was my first time in a supermarket. It was fine as it was quiet but we were the only ones wearing a mask and no one seemed to have even heard of social distancing or a virus or anything really. It's like it never happened aside from the screens round the tills.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Turtle Bean wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:26 pm I went to Aldi this morning which was my first time in a supermarket. It was fine as it was quiet but we were the only ones wearing a mask and no one seemed to have even heard of social distancing or a virus or anything really. It's like it never happened aside from the screens round the tills.
This is what makes me scared to go anywhere. J and I now both have masks (and mine a 100% better, thank you Kleio) but nobody else seems to be wearing them. The virus hasn't gone anywhere, we as a world need to manage it either through government advice ( :mog: ) or taking precautions ourselves. The UK seems to be returning to normal.