Dementia again

Texaco Shirley

Re: Dementia again

Post by Texaco Shirley »

We may now have our hand forced. The police brought her home at 9pm last night. It looks like she fell over at about 10pm and was on the kitchen floor all night. The care manager called an ambulance when she found her this morning. She’s physically uninjured but they’re obviously concerned after that amount of time so she’s been taken to hospital. I’m not sure they will discharge her home.
Last edited by Texaco Shirley on Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glint

Post by Glint »

Tex :hug:

I hope you are able to find somewhere lovely and suitable soon.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Sometimes I wonder if you all need to get to the point where your hand is forced due to danger etc as making the decision before then sounds so hard. I'm so sorry, Tex. I do think now is the time.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I hope you manage to get something sorted, Tex. It sounds really hard.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Sorry to hear that, Tex. It's all such a worry
Malan
Disco

Post by Disco »

Oh Tex, how worrying.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

I'm so sorry, Tex. What a stressful situation for all of you.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I hope you can find some that workable for you Tex. I can’t image what a difficult situation this is for you.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Thank you all. We are lucky to have found such a good care agency. It makes it far more manageable.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

The hospital are not happy to discharge her home even with overnight care. They feel (probably rightly) that she is now in need of 24 hour supervision and would prefer to discharge her to interim care while we work out what we’re doing. I’m waiting on a call from their social service team.

Obviously if she has to move to unfamiliar surroundings it makes sense to move her closer to me. The only reason for keeping her 2.5 hours away was to keep her somewhere she knew. This adds another layer of complication though. Does anyone have any experience of moving someone from one local authority to another specifically in terms of funding? At the moment she gets a direct payment from the council which she then tops up to pay for the care agency.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:46 pm The hospital are not happy to discharge her home even with overnight care. They feel (probably rightly) that she is now in need of 24 hour supervision and would prefer to discharge her to interim care while we work out what we’re doing. I’m waiting on a call from their social service team.

Obviously if she has to move to unfamiliar surroundings it makes sense to move her closer to me. The only reason for keeping her 2.5 hours away was to keep her somewhere she knew. This adds another layer of complication though. Does anyone have any experience of moving someone from one local authority to another specifically in terms of funding? At the moment she gets a direct payment from the council which she then tops up to pay for the care agency.
I know some. My understanding is that the new authority have to meet your mum's needs in the same way as her current plan until they carry out their own needs assessment. However if your mum will go into residential care straight off, then the local authorities will communicate about who contributes. Your mum will need a new financial assessment to see what she may have to contribute towards the cost.
Malan
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Thank you, I’m glad to hear they will talk to each other so we shouldn’t have to start from scratch.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Beatrix wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:01 pm I’m sorry, Tex. I don’t know about funding, but bringing her closer to you makes sense. It’s what my parents did with my grandmother (London to Somerset, also). I hope you get the information you need.
That’s a coincidence!
Marth

Post by Marth »

Malan
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Thank you, that’s very helpful.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I’ve spoken to the hospital social worker. There is now official agreement that she does not have capacity to make a decision and they are looking at options for discharging her. Helpfully they were able to add my local choices to the list for approval so it may be more streamlined than I expected.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I hope it goes smoothly for her (& you), Tex.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Disco

Post by Disco »

You must be feeling so many conflicting feelings, Tex, but I hope this is the start of a more settled phase for you and your mum.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I’m so sorry Tex, this must be really hard, for you and your mum.

I imagine though, that you have had some peace of mind while she’s secure in hospital, knowing that she’s safe?
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

It is definitely helpful to know she’s safe but I am concerned that she will go downhill faster locked in a hospital ward. She can’t even have visitors at the moment due to a covid outbreak.

Hopefully things will start moving next week.