Covid-19

Livilla

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Livilla »

I have spent an awful lot of time over the last couple of weeks on business continuity issues, dealing with the what ifs if someone important in your organisation needs to be deputised due to illness. Staying on top of this is vital, which includes being as informed as possible about who might be at risk. In the context of the UK plc the Head of State and the PM are legally and constitutionally important and so knowing their state of health matters. And when your Head of State is 94, the next in line also matters. :)) You May not like Boris or the Queen or Prince Charles, but not keeping on top of their health would be simple negligence. This does not also mean that front line health workers should also be tested - both of these things can be true.
indigo

Post by indigo »

Lily wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:25 pm It depends on people being sensible. Which they aren't being.

I've just been to the Co Op underneath and the cashier was telling me some bloke came in this morning whose partner has it, but he is an alcoholic, so apparently he "had" to come in. He's been barred. I bought a box of Miniature Heroes for the staff, as I wanted to say thank you for them having to deal with all this in general and twats like that in particular. Ugh. PEOPLE.
I imagine, if he's an alcoholic, he would be struggling terribly without any booze. Doesn't make it right, of course, but it goes some way to understanding his behaviour. A bit like those collecting their Methodone scripts from the pharmacist -pretty much hell on toast to be withdrawing.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I'm sure, but there are ways of getting it without going into a shop and spreading it all over everyone.

She said in general people hadn't been great which is really disappointing and means stronger measures will come into force.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'm as guilty of this as anyone else here, but we're all full of stories of people not obeying the rules- coughing in the faces of people in shops, driving to the beach for a nice day out, running 1.7m away from us in a park, but I think we've, in the very very vast majority of cases, been incredible at taking this on board, turning our lives, liberty and our habits upside down, very quickly, in a time which is frightening, where people are losing jobs, where they can't touch a loved one. Maybe I've got rose tinted specs on, but people have, by and large, done it with grace, humour and with a spirit of trying to help each other out. There will never, ever, be 100% compliance, whether out of selfishness, inepititude, stupidity or because some people's lives are so horribly chaotic they cannot.
indigo

Post by indigo »

I agree, Smal. This is like nothing any of us have ever dealt with before and we're well-adjusted in the main (or at least, we do a good job of presenting as such :mrgreen: )
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I'm having to buy alcohol for an alcoholic elderly neighbour and I find it pretty stressful on her behalf, I must say. And of course every cashier now thinks I'm an alcoholic.
indigo

Post by indigo »

Addiction is a fucker, for sure.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

100%, diggy.
Lola

Post by Lola »

Livilla wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 pm I have spent an awful lot of time over the last couple of weeks on business continuity issues, dealing with the what ifs if someone important in your organisation needs to be deputised due to illness. Staying on top of this is vital, which includes being as informed as possible about who might be at risk. In the context of the UK plc the Head of State and the PM are legally and constitutionally important and so knowing their state of health matters. And when your Head of State is 94, the next in line also matters. :)) You May not like Boris or the Queen or Prince Charles, but not keeping on top of their health would be simple negligence. This does not also mean that front line health workers should also be tested - both of these things can be true.
I completely agree :yes:
Luce

Post by Luce »

Completely agree, Smal. I think I'm lucky where I live in that everyone is following the rules very respectfully. Town is dead, people are crossing the road to avoid being too close, neighbours are talking across their fences at respectable distances. Our lives have been turned upside down, we all have different ideas of what is essential and we're all just trying our best. This is going to get so much harder, we just need to be nicer. FWIW, I'd absolutely be helping an alcoholic out in this scenario.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

An alcoholic could die if they run out of alcohol.

It seems to be going pretty well around here. I've seen the police all over the place though - twice in the tiny village closest to us! They didn't appear to be actually talking to anyone though.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I have no issue with someone helping the poor sod. But don't come into the shop yourself and be belligerent about it to boot.

I do agree Smal - I've found myself really disliking people but most of the people I know are very decent sorts so why shouldn't the majority of people I don't know not be. I'm steering clear of the FB group now as a lot of it is people complaining which is making me complain even if just to myself!

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I have just disinfected my credit cards and groceries and door knobs and realised I used glass cleaner FFS. I feel like giving up. "Sweet oblivion, open your arms..."

indigo

Post by indigo »

He's an alcoholic, Lils, He's not going to be too clear on anything other than his needs.
smalex

Post by smalex »

My sister was saying how impossible it would be to get a lot of the kids she typically works with to comply. They won't be in any way engaged with current affairs. A lot of them can't do even basic things like...tell the time. Some are drug dependent. They don't have engaged parents or stable places to live. They basically don't live in the same society as everyone else.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Chris Witty now too.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I know Digs, but right now I am struggling a little to care when the workers were upset and cross. Shoot me. I will care tomorrow, promise. x

Luce

Post by Luce »

My BIL is the manager of a co-op and a lovely customer threatened to cough in his face if he didn't let him have more milk than he was allowed. My poor sis is beside herself with him going there every day.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Foul. I suspect that there will be more barrings before long.I hope your BIL is OK. A Co Op should not be a warzone FFS.

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Luce wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:40 pm My BIL is the manager of a co-op and a lovely customer threatened to cough in his face if he didn't let him have more milk than he was allowed. My poor sis is beside herself with him going there every day.
So fucking hideous. I hope they caught his face on CCTV.