Covid-19

Rebel Pebble

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Having read that Atlantic article, and FIg's post, I'm far more worried about the effects of badly thought through, ham-fisted and in all likelihood ultimately futile attempts to contain the virus than I am about catching it. And I'm saying this while my Dad is already on a Respiratory ward in St Georges with yet another chest infection :sigh:

Two weeks ago I was in Brussels working with consultants from around the globe including Italy. This week I've just come back from Exeter where the law firm I was working with had two employees who had been on holiday in Northern Italy in that previous week. One chap was self-isolating, the other wasn't but had had to fly back from Slovenia because of the closure of Italian airports. I just don't see how in the modern era of so much cross-border activity we can possibly think we're going to escape,
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

We’ve been using a dedicated ambulance to take unconfirmed people to hospital for testing. Each trip is taking at least 2 hours (crew has to go and get the vehicle, drive to patient, take them to hospital, wait while they’re tested, drive them home, return vehicle to station, fully clean vehicle, get back on own vehicle) so it’s not a viable option for long.

I vaguely remember guidance from H1N1 which escalated to no one being well enough to care for patients, the army being called in and only the immediately life threatening cases being admitted to hospital. Fortunately that petered out well before that point but it was 10 years ago (more?) and the NHS had much more resilience.

I imagine they’ll have to move to a point where it’s treated as any other virus/flu and you only don’t go to work if you’re ill. Maybe they’ll recommend this eat greatest risk self isolate although that brings its own issues.
rosy

Post by rosy »

This article shows how most efforts to contain the virus are slamming the stable door after the horse has bolted (Sorry I cant find it in English) https://www.bfmtv.com/societe/coronavir ... 65847.html
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Five - I take immuno suppressant drugs to control the Crohn’s disease.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Merde alors! The Semi Marathon of Paris tomorrow has been cancelled and it looks like the actual Marathon will be too. France has forbidden all gatherings of more than 5000 people.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I had a fairly alarming email from Ocado about them experiencing “exceptionally high demand” which made me think I should start prepping :panic:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Someone is self isolating in my sister’s town.

Given that Chunk rarely lets me leave the house we’ll be fine.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

OMG!
D4332941-7AB1-4604-A09E-DEF334B6116F.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Leave voters.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That’s magic.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

Yeah the leave voters will all be dead soon.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Good photoshop there :lol:
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

rosy wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:58 am Five - I take immuno suppressant drugs to control the Crohn’s disease.
Then you must be extra careful! :hug:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Is nobody else astounded that Emma reads the Sport? 😳
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Ha!

A staff member at a school 10 miles from here has tested positive so I predict mayhem on the Facebook groups. Someone has already said:
We shouldn't even have it here, we're an island, this could have easily been avoided by shutting down the border until it was safe.
Yes, nothing easier than simply shutting all the borders, that seems like an entirely straightforward and consequence-free way to manage the situation.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Topcat wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:37 pm Is nobody else astounded that Emma reads the Sport? 😳
Not at all. It’s well known that she loves a pint and fray bentos pie whilst reading the Sport.
Squirrel wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:45 pm Ha!
We shouldn't even have it here, we're an island, this could have easily been avoided by shutting down the border until it was safe.
Yes, nothing easier than simply shutting all the borders, that seems like an entirely straightforward and consequence-free way to manage the situation.
Oh honestly. :ella: It’s like Trump who has decided the US should close it’s Southern border despite zero cases coming out of Mexico.

I’m slightly nervous about travelling thought Atlanta airport as it’s such a hub but I’ll make sure I follow guidelines and be even more anal than usual about anti bac’ing every surface and lots of hand washing as we pass through.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

The first US death is in ‘my’ state. I still can’t feel too worried about it on a personal level. Maybe one of the benefits of doing a job that can largely be done from anywhere and living alone. I might do a quick amazon order to stock up though :look:

I’m looking at the uptick in cases outside China and if this is already a train that’s out of control, there are going to be hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of cases globally. Talk about a test of system resilience. Maybe people will start funding health and public health systems properly after this.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Australia has just reported its first death from it now too - a 78 year old man who I believe was on the cruise ship. The latest case in QLD was a beautician on the Gold Coast who saw 40 clients after flying in from Iran but before she was diagnosed.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Epponnee Rae wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:30 am The first US death is in ‘my’ state.
Interestingly, we (in the Midwest) have not been informed of a death in America yet.

I hate Trump so much I can barely stand it.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

olive wrote: I’m slightly nervous about travelling thought Atlanta airport as it’s such a hub but I’ll make sure I follow guidelines and be even more anal than usual about anti bac’ing every surface and lots of hand washing as we pass through.
Anti-bac won’t help much because it’s a virus. They say if you find the gels that are 60% alcohol they’re better than nothing, but I couldn’t see any in Boots that fit the bill.