Covid-19

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Kenickie »

:lol: I'm going to delete now as I worry I've made him a bit identifiable and I don't want him to get involved in a turf war. ;)
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Margo

Post by Margo »

My ex is due to travel to China, Japan and Thailand next month for work; I messaged him yesterday forbidding him to go! Then last night his boss in the US messaged to say the trip was being cancelled... it’s a massive relief.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Now everyone is going to think he's some sort of anti-Guardian MI6 infiltration agent. :lol:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

:mog:

Maybe he is. :look:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I guess a good example of the Guardian thing is them repeatedly describing cities as being on lockdown, rather than just stating that public transport had been closed, and reporting on hospitals/ food shortages in quite a sensationalist way using a couple of social media posts as sources, rather than actually seeing what the situation is themselves/finding a reliable source.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I just read an article about some woman who took medication so she could get through the fever scans at the airport and then started bragging about it on Facebook :verm: Maybe they need to stop all flights in and out of China until it’s properly under control and more is known.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

China is huge though, so I guess that would be like stopping all flights from mainland Europe because of a disease in Paris?
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Is it spreading so fast because everyone is travelling for new year?
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I know. It’s not practical. Fucking people though :verm:
rosy

Post by rosy »

Is it your brother who is threatening to break quarantine, Ken? :lol:

A friend of mine lives in Les Contamines-Montjoie and he says the place is like a ghost town since the diagnosis of the British family in the chalet.

Two of the latest British victims are GPs, which surprises me as I would have thought that they would be extra careful to wear masks /wash hands.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

I think one of the GPs was on holiday with the first Brit, skiing, so I imagine she caught it before he was showing any symptoms/there was any awareness that cold and flue symptoms from Singapore were a concern.

Unfortunately she, or someone from her practice have since been into a residential home so that is on lock down too.
rosy

Post by rosy »

That British chap - I think his name is Walsh - must be one of those super-spreaders. Poor bloke, it must be awful to know you've infected so many people entirely innocently.

The virus is called Covid-19 now, which is snappier than before, but it makes me think of crows (corvids).
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
smalex

Post by smalex »

It's so unfortunate GPs have been infected (by chance) there could hardly be anyone worse in terms of potential onward exposure
Luna

Post by Luna »

Obviously it's a bit concerning here in Brighton :look: But I live on the outskirts and avoid the town centre. It's also another good reason I am relieved to no longer work at a massive language centre.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Is your brother okay, Ken? I keep wondering if it's him when I see those 'sad person at window' pictures of quarantined people. :))
Last edited by Bat Macdui on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I was wondering how your brother was too, Ken. I hope he's not thinking of breaking quarantine now - the whole thing is spreading at quite an alarming rate.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

He wasn't ever thinking of just breaking quarantine, just questioning the reasoning behind it/the refusal to test any of them/making them mix together for meals etc. :cheerup: Public Health England weren't aware of anyone threatening to abscond (they are running the quarantine) so I think that must have been made up.

He's been finding it really tough, mentally. They said a few days ago they can leave tomorrow but the information keeps changing so he's still not sure what's happening. They've also had some interesting meals - like shepherds pie with a spring roll and ravioli and prawn crackers.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Ah, that's fair enough. I wouldn't like to mix with anyone for meals, quarantine or no quarantine.

It must be really hard having no real end in sight. I do hope he remains safe and well, and gets home soon.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
smalex

Post by smalex »

It's horrible they aren't being given an end date. I'd really hope that. Did his girlfriend leave as well?

My school friend has gone back to Shanghai. I guess it's less vulnerable and they can't stay off work forever, but it must feel very scary (they've got two young kids too).
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I think it's really hard when your life's out there. My brother would be going back to Shanghai (when he can) and I think according to the figures it's not too bad there but it must be so worrying.

His girlfriend has gone back to her parents, so I think when he can eventually leave he's going to go there for a bit.