Re: Corona Virus

Post by sally maclennane »

Nightclubs aren't open, are they?
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I feel sorry for the youth who can’t go out, drink themselves silly and snog inappropriate people any more.
Luce

Post by Luce »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:39 pm Nightclubs aren't open, are they?
They are here! Or one in Preston certainly was.

It's just the fact that we clearly can't go back to normal yet so I'd love someone sensible to make sensible decisions about what is and isn't a priority.
sally maclennane

Ah, theyre not open here so I thought it was the same in England.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I didn't think nightclubs were supposed to be open in England, and I also thought there were rules about music not being loud to avoid people having to get close to hear each other and thus breathing over each other.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Marth wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:58 pm Being old so I don't know, but are "fun pubs" open? Those where no one sits down, and everyone is trying to cop off with each other?

I thought just those tabled pubs were open where you have to sit down and stay put! I can't imagine how I would have felt at 17/18 when I lived for going out, partying. It was my whole life. (Not condoning).
My friend's and I were discussing this at the weekend. As a teenager/early twenties yoof, I was gutted on the rare weekend when I couldn't go out, I would have hated lockdown so, so much at that age.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:41 pm I feel sorry for the youth who can’t go out, drink themselves silly and snog inappropriate people any more.
Yes this!
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Unfortunately knowing what a twat I was in my twenties I can probably guarantee that I would have been sneaking round to friend's houses or having parties on the beach,lock down or not. I'll bet they are all still passing spliffs around too.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I thought nightclubs were about the highest risk type of place you could get. Lots of shouting people moving around in close proximity to each other.

Loser young me would have been glad of the excuse not to be out clubbing. Old before my time.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Ah, looks like it might be just the Preston one, it was the first to open - £200 ticket to get in :ella:

There is loads that is so sad about this, loads that people are missing out on that are technically frivolous but really mean everything when taken away. Holidays and exams and rites of passages that come with certain ages etc. But since we can't have that at the moment, surely it makes sense to prioritise stuff like schools, libraries, churches, "safe" social, outdoor type places (to take the edge off) Meaning that things like like nightclubs, pubs, softplay etc will just have to wait. I hate the idea of the former being sacrificed for the latter.

Also, I actually miss a softplay date with friends. In the last 6 months my boys have definitely gone way over the edge of being too old for it and there was something horribly magical about a coffee in a softplay whilst your children run around getting sweaty elsewhere. I've never been a hater of softplay, it saved my bacon so many times. I hate to think about the mums out there going through this with little ones and not having that safe escape.

Basically, it is still all shit and still keeps hitting me like a tonne of bricks.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

It's really strange about the Preston club- I thought clubs had a legal ban so it seems odd that it was left to the local council to decide.

I think making decisions about what should be prioritized is a bit of a minefield. But I can see that pubs could actually help some people's mental health. For some, they're people's whole community/social life. I know one of my uncles was totally bereft when they were closed as he goes every day.

I do feel sorry for youths. I'd have really hated it as a teen/early twenties.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Kenickie wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:38 am It's really strange about the Preston club- I thought clubs had a legal ban so it seems odd that it was left to the local council to decide.

I think making decisions about what should be prioritized is a bit of a minefield. But I can see that pubs could actually help some people's mental health. For some, they're people's whole community/social life. I know one of my uncles was totally bereft when they were closed as he goes every day.

Oh this. I know quite a few older people (my clients) for whom the pub/labour club etc is like their family, and they are totally isolated without it. I was so happy that pubs reopened for this group of people.

All these unofficial and official day centres/groups shutting has made me so sad for people. It will have really made many wonder what is the point of living. It's so sad.

The youth (God willing) have their lives ahead of them, but a lot of older/ill people will see out their days in total loneliness. I still can't think about Day Hospice services shutting without becoming quite upset.
Malan
sally maclennane

Marth wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:00 am
Kenickie wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:38 am It's really strange about the Preston club- I thought clubs had a legal ban so it seems odd that it was left to the local council to decide.

Oh this. I know quite a few older people (my clients) for whom the pub/labour club etc is like their family, and they are totally isolated without it. I was so happy that pubs reopened for this group of people.
My brother's pub is like this, there's a lot of older people (mainly men) whose life revolves around the pub, it's not even that they are big drinkers, it's the place they meet their mates, watch a bit of telly, have a chat with the staff. They have a proper community there, they get each other jobs, help each other out with DIY, visit each other in hospital.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I thought clubs weren't meant to be open too.

There are lots of parks around here and they're battling with impromptu raves :granny: and parties, with people arriving with sound systems, DJs etc then leaving piles of litter everywhere.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:25 am My brother's pub is like this, there's a lot of older people (mainly men) whose life revolves around the pub, it's not even that they are big drinkers, it's the place they meet their mates, watch a bit of telly, have a chat with the staff. They have a proper community there, they get each other jobs, help each other out with DIY, visit each other in hospital.
:love2: Like in Corrie. I sometimes think it would nice to have a pub like that. I am not an old bloke though :look:
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I've only been in one pub. Last Friday afternoon. It was lovely while it was quiet but we left at about 6pm as it was starting to fill up with the young team as it didn't feel safe anymore.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I've been in three pubs now - in one, the front was open and we were at least 5 metres away from the next table of people (there were probably only four customers in the whole place). In the other two my friend and I were outside and nicely spaced from everyone. Had a lovely lunch in the garden of a pub on Saturday. They had a one-way system too, so customer went in through the pub but left through the garden gate.
sally maclennane

nineseven wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:05 am
sally maclennane wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:25 am My brother's pub is like this, there's a lot of older people (mainly men) whose life revolves around the pub, it's not even that they are big drinkers, it's the place they meet their mates, watch a bit of telly, have a chat with the staff. They have a proper community there, they get each other jobs, help each other out with DIY, visit each other in hospital.
:love2: Like in Corrie. I sometimes think it would nice to have a pub like that. I am not an old bloke though :look:
It is a bit like that. Don't get me wrong, there are some real pests who drink there too but for a lot of guys its their social life. They're not the type to be doing Zoom quizzes or Joe Wicks workouts so lockdown would have been very isolating for them.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:16 am They're not the type to be doing Zoom quizzes or Joe Wicks workouts so lockdown would have been very isolating for them.
Ugh, neither am I. Fortunately I am a natural hermit - more than most, anyway.
sally maclennane

I didn't do a single quiz, apart from a couple at work :lol: