Covid-19

smalex

Re: The Bats Fully Approved Thread about Covid-19

Post by smalex »

Oh really Diccers, I didn't know that. I hope people are making reasonable adjustments where they can.
Disco

Post by Disco »

She has about 20% hearing in one ear which is - now, recently - aided by a hearing aid. Due to her deafness she has never really integrated into society so it's only us she really speaks with. Well cashiers but many of them are not wearing masks so she can lipread if her aid doesn't pick up what they're saying. It's always been a hidden disability so strangers shout at her if she doesn't move out their way because she can't hear them behind her asking to move etc.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I've seen stuff about masks with a clear window section being trialled for people working with deaf people, but of course it's something everyone else would need to wear, not so much the deaf person.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Only if not a business or service etc. You tell tell Gay Bernie he can't come in your house because he's a gay man, but you can't tell Gay Bernie that he can't book a room in your B&B because he's a gay man (now).
Malan
smalex

Post by smalex »

Disco wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 am She has about 20% hearing in one ear which is - now, recently - aided by a hearing aid. Due to her deafness she has never really integrated into society so it's only us she really speaks with. Well cashiers but many of them are not wearing masks so she can lipread if her aid doesn't pick up what they're saying. It's always been a hidden disability so strangers shout at her if she doesn't move out their way because she can't hear them behind her asking to move etc.
I feel very defensive of Discomum now :cry:
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Ella77 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:59 am
Kleio wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:53 am How many face covering refusers will wear a Halloween mask?
Quite.

No-one said it was bollocks, just that it's something anybody can claim if they choose.

PG did say "what bollocks" :))

Del makes a good point though, in that point two probably does cover it.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Oh, I think she meant the UK rules in general probably.We're an utter state. (Shh, I'LL speak for you, PG :ttth:.)
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

sally maclennane wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 am I'm generally in favour of masks but for every person misusing the exemptions, there's another twat "policing" other people so its one of those situations that its pointless arguing about it.
Nailed it. There was a Grandiad article about rape victims finding masks distressing, and then finding people having a go at them for not wearing them even more distressing. FFS.
Disco

Post by Disco »

smalex wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:30 am I feel very defensive of Discomum now :cry:
Aw, thank you. Bless her it can be hard but she's very used to it by now!
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Yes, sorry, I do mean the general rules (as Ella posted them). I appreciate it's going to be difficult, like for everything that's come up due to the pandemic to make rules that are understandable and entirely fair, but essentially that list means that my glasses fogging up is an exemption if I want it to be. And I'm fairly sure most of the people shouting at cashiers and talking about their constitutional rights in the UK aren't suffering any more than the discomfort everyone has when wearing a mask.

Like with vaccinations, if only the people with legitimate health reasons opt out then it's still enough to protect everyone else. If a load of people decide they're too special or that masks are a plot by Corbyn to fund ISIS, it puts the people who actually can't wear masks at much higher risk. Plenty of people (including on here) have said they don't think masks work in preventing spread when it's very clear that they do.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

It turns out that the school parents shouting the loudest on FB about being anti-mask and Covid not being a pandemic, are also the ones who've kept their kids off school this week, even though they could have sent them in. Almost like they don't quite believe the nonsense they're spouting themselves. :woteva: :ella:
viggy

Post by viggy »

I'm still laughing at the joke about masks being a massive conspiracy theory funded and promoted by Big Etsy :lol:
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Apparently the reason why the Rule of 6 regulations was so late is because they needed to amend it to allow grouse shooting to occur :verm:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... PHHo0nBQmA
Starry

Post by Starry »

I don’t think that ex BB gobshite has got any reason not to wear a face mask, other than he wouldn’t be able to eat on about his constitutional rights. He has a Facebook page filled with this utter tripe.

In other news I had to take the kids out of school and crèche today because S has been referred for a test. It’s back to March for me, trying to work from home with the both of them, except this time I can’t sleep in my own bed.
Last edited by Starry on Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smalex

Post by smalex »

viggy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:36 pm I'm still laughing at the joke about masks being a massive conspiracy theory funded and promoted by Big Etsy :lol:
:lol: I love that.

Bad times Starry. How is test availability?
Starry

Post by Starry »

He rang me while I was out this morning to tell me he felt cold, so when I got back and unearthed the thermometer to check his temperature I insisted he ring the surgery straight away. She said he should get a test today and would likely have the results tomorrow.

Hopefully that’s true. So far, nothing. There’s been a huge increase in referrals as the kids are back in school. Until
He gets the hopefully negative result I have to keep the kids away from everyone.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Oh shit Starry. Is S suffering or has just mild symptoms? Are you able to steer clear enough of him?

My family are all on full national lockdown for at least the next three weeks. Numbers in Israel have been rising badly (having squashed it very effectively back in March), and these three weeks coincide with a major festival period (think c5 days equivalent of Christmas family get-togethers over the month, plus massively packed church services).

It has not gone down well, and it'll be interesting to see how well it's adhered to.
Starry

Post by Starry »

He has a temperature and that’s about it.

DJ Dickhead is over here, so he was lucky not to get a €2500 fine because the Gardaí were called.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

I fucking hate this stasi crap they're now openly encouraging. Divide and rule.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Report 'rule of six' breaches, minister urges
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54142699
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yep. Because its a family having one guest in the garden thats really fucking this up :ella: