Covid-19

Rebel Pebble

Re: Covid-19

Post by Rebel Pebble »

One of the odder reasons I wonder is that I pretty much never catch things from Mr R. He can get a stinking cold and I just don't, or I get a 2 day mild version
I've always put it down to 20 more years exposure to UK cold viruses than him, plus a better (ie female) immune system. This time he was ill for a week and then I was.

That sounds properly scary, Disco.
smalex

Post by smalex »

My best friend who had it (well, presumed, she's had long covid too) so badly in mid/ late March did call an ambulance because of the breathlessness. She lives alone and thought she was going to die. I can't even bear to think of it.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Oh that’s awful, smal. She must have been so scared.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Christ, that’s terrifying.

My advice would be that if you think it’s bad enough, then it probably is bad enough to make the call. Don’t be stoics.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Above mentioned friend didn't go to hospital but she was put on on her GPs watchlist, and got a phone call every day for few days to check on her breathing.
smalex

Post by smalex »

They were really nice but ultimately couldn't help her and had to leave (she wasn'tsevere enough becauseshe could still move). They told her to ring if she got worse, advised her to get a family member to ring every 2 hrs and check on her. Thats the bit that really gets me.
She didn't (couldn't) leave her flat for 6 weeks in the end. 6 entire weeks on her own (her step mum left food for her outside her door)
Disco

Post by Disco »

Bloody hell.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's horrendous!

And must have been very scary for you, Disco.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Lola

Post by Lola »

These stories are so awful. My brother & his wife have just had it and my brother said he has never felt so ill before in his life & he thought he was going to die.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Gosh, these stories are so scary. I'd sort of got my head around it being OK now I know more people who've had it and coped but it is scary how it can be different for different people.

We've currently got two classes out at school after positive cases and lots of individuals isolating because of family cases. Just had an email that a child in my class is being tested. I reckon it is going to be positive as there is a sibling link to another closed class so I bet I'm going to be at home again for another 14 days. Second time in a term. I don't want to teach online again. It is mentally and physically painful to be at a laptop on screen all day every day and not allowed outside for exercise or fresh air at all. And I have important plans in the next 14 days which I'll be so upset to cancel. Too exposed in this job.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm sorry coo, that's really tough.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Dic and smal :cry:.
smalex

Post by smalex »

For Balance, she'd be the first to tell you she was unusually unlucky at her age/health to get it so badly.

And she sat in a room while unknowingly contagious with her family for some hours (it was 2nd week of March i think so don't judge them on this!) And seemingly absolutely no one got it from her, including 2 people who would have been very vulnerable.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Oh no HHC, I’m sorry.

If things go back to some kind of semblance of normal again, then senior managers have to reframe their thoughts on staff presenting while they have colds and coughs. I’ve been guilty of dragging myself in, and so have my colleagues, because it is so frowned upon to take time off for a ‘mere’ cough/ cold situation. I didn’t take any time off at the beginning of the year despite my body being wracked by coughs for 6 weeks. Obviously I couldn’t take 6 weeks off sick but this year has shown that I could’ve worked from home for at least a couple of weeks while I was most virulent.*

*im not saying I had COVID because I don’t know that I did, but I had a really horrible virus.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That’s exactly right, Dic.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I've been meaning to share this blog for a while and keep forgetting. An Intensive Care Consultant has been blogging fairly reguarly since Lockdown Mark 1 about his experiences and opinions on the pandemic. It's quite interesting - https://www.nomoresurgeons.com/
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

My next door neighbour died this morning. He caught covid at the local hospital a couple of weeks ago. They discharged him with it (no testing before he left!) after a visit for something completely unrelated and he had to go back in last Friday after taking a turn for the worse. 69.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh god Pov! Thats awful.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

God that's terrible.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I'm so sorry, Pov :( How awful.