Covid-19

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Kenickie »

:lol:

Thanks, Luce. Did you use to live nearby? I think you lived down south originally in you youth before you moved up north? :spreadsheet:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Kenickie wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 am I think I'm going to stockpile a bit this time as I was quite panicked about not having toilet paper and nappies in March.
Nappies are hard to stockpile as you can guarantee they'll go.up a size as soon as you do :verm: IME Asda are the best for exchanging unopened packs even long after you bought them, if that's any help.

I asked about medical placements in my interview this morning and was told first year placements had been cancelled but were expected to start up again before September; second and third years had continued as they were considered at a point where they could be useful. Distinct possibility the first years (or rather next year's cohort) will have placements cancelled again.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Oh that's good to know. I've found most places really rubbish about exchanging unused, unopened clothes in a too small size. :verm:

I'm not sure what my place is doing about medical placements. I think they're going ahead.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

London turtles what is your experience of masks on public transport? Are bus drivers insisting on passengers wearing them?
Luce

Post by Luce »

Kenickie wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:44 am :lol:

Thanks, Luce. Did you use to live nearby? I think you lived down south originally in you youth before you moved up north? :spreadsheet:
I was born in Portsmouth and moved up north when I was tiny (and then back down south and then back up north again!) but all my extended family lived there so we were probably in and around Gosport/Fareham/Alverstoke about 6 times a year. I always wanted to do two things with my cousins; ice skating and then Marwell Zoo :))
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:13 pm London turtles what is your experience of masks on public transport? Are bus drivers insisting on passengers wearing them?
Based on buses going past near me, 95% of people are wearing masks. Also, single deckers have a limit of 10 passengers. I think it’s 20 for double deckers.

I went on the Tube this morning (outside rush hour), and about 90% of people were wearing masks there but they weren’t stopping people on the way in if they didn’t. Far too many idiots pulled them down once on the train though.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Oooh, my uncle and aunt still live in Fareham.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:38 pm
Texaco Shirley wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:13 pm London turtles what is your experience of masks on public transport? Are bus drivers insisting on passengers wearing them?
Based on buses going past near me, 95% of people are wearing masks. Also, single deckers have a limit of 10 passengers. I think it’s 20 for double deckers.

I went on the Tube this morning (outside rush hour), and about 90% of people were wearing masks there but they weren’t stopping people on the way in if they didn’t. Far too many idiots pulled them down once on the train though.
Thanks Ella.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

If your mum is likely to be distressed by wearing a mask (or simply not get that she needs to), I don’t think there should be any trouble. There is a list of exemptions here.

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/face-coveri ... his-page-0
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Two good choices, Luce. ;)

You should let me know if you ever want to relive your youth in a road trip.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:22 pm If your mum is likely to be distressed by wearing a mask (or simply not get that she needs to), I don’t think there should be any trouble. There is a list of exemptions here.

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/face-coveri ... his-page-0
Thank you, that’s helpful. I spoke to her yesterday and she said she’d been on the bus without a mask and no one had insisted on a mask. I wondered how widespread that was or if she was possibly even confusing it with a journey a couple of weeks ago. She really doesn’t get the need for masks at all or that the situation is different to anything we’ve ever seen before.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

nineseven wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:29 am Three specific ones have had cases reported, so they're closing and contacting everyone who went there on the same day as the infected people.
That's good. I was watching the news and it seems like the pubs were faster off the mark than track and trace.

I felt the news were sort of implying the cases were due to the pub, where in one at least was someone else in their home bubble getting it. Good (and right ) of them to inform the pub I thought.
Malan
rosy

Post by rosy »

Mountain Goat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:52 am DAYS WHEN WE COULD LEAVE THE COUNTRY AND MEET HANDSOME MEN CARRYING DISEASE. :cry:
Halcyon days!

We had a zoom sewing class this morning and apparently the FE collège has said that they don’t expect to be able to open until at least October even with social distancing and smaller classes - but as classes aren’t viable with fewer than eight people, some classes (French, for example) won’t restart at all.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Luce wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:55 am I agree, get it done.

I wasn't planning on getting out and about at all, really but I think it might have to happen to give me the energy we all need for next time. It's a weird mental shift. We've booked camping and we'll do some zoo trips out. I'm tempted to see if we could even book a Center Parcs for August but assume it will be booked out or pointless.
My friend has booked for Dec and is thinking of postponing till next year as they will be limiting the pool sessions. I don’t know if that makes a difference to you.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Thanks Ted. We've had a few emails about it because we're booked in for end the of October already but that booking was from before lockdown. Boo, I was really hoping they would have opened the pool more by then although it is usually my least favourite part. Hm.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Ooh, Bolsonaro's tested positive. Couldn't happen to a nicer chap, etc.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Our Mayor has tested positive too and the comments on Twitter are appalling, especially as her announcement coincides with a fatal shooting of a child locally.

My doom is sky high at the moment.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Mountain Goat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:52 pm Ooh, Bolsonaro's tested positive. Couldn't happen to a nicer chap, etc.
I have to admit to laughing when I heard it on the news. I felt bad about laughing, but I still laughed.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
rosy

Post by rosy »

olive wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:15 pm Our Mayor has tested positive too and the comments on Twitter are appalling, especially as her announcement coincides with a fatal shooting of a child locally.

My doom is sky high at the moment.
That’s awful, olive. Is it Keisha Lance Bottoms? I’ve been so impressed with her speeches. I hope she and her family will be ok.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

If Bolsonaro only suffers it mildly, or asymptomatically, it'll only fuel his belief that it's nothing to worry about.