Covid-19

Zoomer

Re: Covid-19

Post by Zoomer »

Am I the only one that doesn't know where my tonsils are? Are you just swabbing until it tickles?

(In my defense, I had a Catholic education..."<crude outline of a woman> Here is your body. Don't touch it. Don't let anyone else touch it. Amen." :)) )
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Zooms! :mog: Your catholic biology has cheered me right up.

Your tonsils are at the sides near the back. :doctor:
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Zoomer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 pm Am I the only one that doesn't know where my tonsils are? Are you just swabbing until it tickles?

(In my defense, I had a Catholic education..."<crude outline of a woman> Here is your body. Don't touch it. Don't let anyone else touch it. Amen." :)) )
There’s a picture in the LFT/PCR instructions to show where your tonsils are/were.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I have no idea where mine are (looking in a mirror doesnt help) so I just stab around wildly, and hope for the best.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Little My wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:10 pm Are you going to test him, Squirrel?
Yes we’re testing regularly and will do again before school tomorrow.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Disco wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:46 am To our fully vaccinated adults on here who've had it or currently have it, how do you feel with it? is it like a bad cold? Is it like the flu?

I was very poorly with it. It made me wonder who bad I would have been had I not been vaccinated.

I'm glad turtle children are getting better. I hope they all stay that way. Elf currently has 8 classmates off with Covid so he's being tested regularly - the school don't have to tell us any more though!

I use a torch and a mirror to see my tonsils.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Having had tonsillitis about 8 billion times, finding my tonsils is a piece of cake!
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I prod until I gag and hope for the best :look:
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Beatrix wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:59 pm Isn’t the rumour it’ll be considered pretty much done with in March?
Oh god! Some woman on a Facebook group was all ‘roll on March when this will all be over’ and I can’t get my head around that level of stupid.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It definitely won’t be over by then if people ditch all mitigating measures. Who are these idiots who think a virus works to a human timetable?
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

To be fair, I've seen that as an article headline on the BBC website. When you look at the actual article, it's just speculation by one scientist but you can see why people latch onto it. We all want it to be true.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Maybe it’s the Nudge Unit at work again.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

The first time R & I did LFTs at home I managed the tonsils swab with a stoical face and a couple of gags and he thought it was hilarious. He then did his and was weeping and coughing and howling all 'too hard, this is awful.' The massive man baby. :lol:
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

purple_dress wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:42 am To be fair, I've seen that as an article headline on the BBC website. When you look at the actual article, it's just speculation by one scientist but you can see why people latch onto it. We all want it to be true.
That’s it. We do all want it and at this point I can totally see why a lot people are latching on to it. It’s sheer desperation for a lot of people at this point.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:45 am The first time R & I did LFTs at home I managed the tonsils swab with a stoical face and a couple of gags and he thought it was hilarious. He then did his and was weeping and coughing and howling all 'too hard, this is awful.' The massive man baby. :lol:
:lol:

I always enjoy listening to A do his.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

My state gave up on contact tracing at the start of this year.

There was a union briefing at work today where they were seeking views on whether members would support them calling on our employer to provide rapid antigen tests for a safer return to work (currently slated for 7 Feb but our Omicron wave hasn’t peaked yet so it may yet get pushed back)
sally maclennane

purple_dress wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:42 am To be fair, I've seen that as an article headline on the BBC website. When you look at the actual article, it's just speculation by one scientist but you can see why people latch onto it. We all want it to be true.
Yes, and the Scottish government who tend to be a lot more cautious than the UK government have also been talking about the virus being endemic, and whilst I know that means that it's not harmless, just more present, there is a shifting mood. We will still have some restrictions here like face masks etc.

I'm not sure that it's fair to say people are not that bright or just selfish. The majority of people have complied with restrictions but we're nearly two years into this, and people are tired, of a situation which is shit. I'd say its human nature plus people were promised (rightly or wrongly) that vaccines are the route out of this.

I think many folk here are better informed than the majority, with a better understanding of how to access and interpret information. Add in a government which is obsessed with "freedom" and a populist PM who'll do anything to save his own skin, and its not surprising that people are clinging to the perception that its all over.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Saying someone isn’t bright absolutely DOES imply stupidity! :lol: lots of bright people just don’t have access to information sources because they’ve never been taught how or had the opportunity to learn. It doesn’t make them stupid!
sally maclennane

Beatrix wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:48 am
sally maclennane wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:06 am I'm not sure that it's fair to say people are not that bright or just selfish. The majority of people have complied with restrictions but we're nearly two years into this, and people are tired, of a situation which is shit. I'd say its human nature plus people were promised (rightly or wrongly) that vaccines are the route out of this.
This thread is full of people being called stupid, idiotic and worse, so I’m not sure why you need to pick me up on it. Especially as we’re largely saying the same thing: people are desperate.
Saying someone isn’t bright, doesn’t infer stupidity, just that as you say people don’t necessarily have access or know to access more information. I absolutely do think that we are ultimately selfish - we have to be, call it human nature if you like - but when things are hard we many people turn inwards and can’t contemplate the needs and feelings of others.
I wasn't picking on you, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I do agree with a lot of the stuff you say although to me, not bright is not that different to stupid but we're getting into semantics.

I often feel uncomfortable about the way people are described on here as stupid and idiotic so I'll step away from the thread. I appreciate that it's often out of frustration and fear but I still feel uncomfortable with it.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I need to apologise for that, really. I’m sorry for any offence my language has caused. I’m absolutely raging at the attitude of some people and, in anger, I do tend to attribute stupidity to their behaviour. Wilful actions by not-stupid people are, to me, far more distressing. But I can see that folks are getting upset about it, so I will back off.