Covid-19

Rosa

Re: Covid-19

Post by Rosa »

:lol:
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

ARE THE FISH IN TIER ONE? :panic: That's going to add additional complications to the Brexit talks. :))
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Areas in Tier 3 are going to struggle long after this is over, as a lot of restaurants (and other businesses) are going to go under now.

I'm not really making a case for us to move into a different tier, as I would rather see everyone in a proper lockdown for a shorter time, but it does feel like a slap in the face for parts of Northumberland to be in a higher tier than all of London. I understand about the travel implications - most people in rural areas work in more urban ones, obviously - but surely that's true everywhere? Plus, there are far fewer of us in Northumberland. How is it ok to limit the movements of people here when millions more people are moving freely around in London?
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

"Avoid" travel, but it's not totally off. I don't really know if "go and hide in a rental cottage and go hiking a lot" is banned or permitted. Whether or not it's 'wise' or 'sensible' seems by the by as the intention is to not see or speak to another human :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

I guess they have to draw a line somewhere, and that's always going to mean that some people with a slightly lower rate end up being lumped in with people with a higher rate. Isn't it also to do with hospital capacity etc as well as the cases per 100k.

Northumberland looks to have a very similar rate to my UA.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I notice they still clearly have no intention of bringing in the secondary school rotas. Even though quite a few schools near here have partial closure due to staffing issues anyway. Good, good. :woteva: It should be absolutely fine for those children to spend Christmas with their grandparents.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Mayor Khan really fought to have us all in the same tier. It makes sense given how so many of us have to travel into other boroughs so regularly for work and school and shopping.
Malan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes, and for the hundredth time, a lot of London has pretty low rates.
Ruby wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:53 pm I notice they still clearly have no intention of bringing in the secondary school rotas. Even though quite a few schools near here have partial closure due to staffing issues anyway. Good, good. :woteva: It should be absolutely fine for those children to spend Christmas with their grandparents.
Christ almighty.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

My mum was convinced, probably still is, that "all schools are closing for two weeks before Christmas, to isolate, so it's perfectly safe." Is this some nonsense that's done the rounds online?
smalex

Post by smalex »

I think there was a petition which went round online.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Some academy chain said it was doing it but they've been forced to change back.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Our province were given our Christmas rules yesterday. It's pretty basic: Only celebrate with people in your own household, no bubbles. Unless you live alone, and then you can bubble with one other household, and uni students can go home but they have to isolate (seems unlikely?). The strict rules are definitely a nod to not wanting to extend winter break for school students, which was an idea being floated around a week ago but dismissed.
Lola

Post by Lola »

Oh do you think Norfolk is in tier 2 not tier 1? :look: :lol:
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Lola wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:56 pm Oh do you think Norfolk is in tier 2 not tier 1? :look: :lol:
:lol:

I spoke to my parents today and, luckily, they are of the same thinking as us and don't want to risk meeting indoors at for Christmas - I think if they were closer they would come for a couple of hours for lunch, but they don't want either themselves or us to do the drive there and back in a day, and they seem to be mortally terrified by the thought of stopping at Birchanger Services.

We'll probably try and see the ILs for an outdoor walk as they are much closer (and we need to pick up a printer from them :look: ), but all seem resigned and not offended by plans, which is about as good an outcome as we could have I think.
smalex

Post by smalex »

That's good Flora. Its gone down similarly well here, thank GOD. we will see FIL for a few hours for his lunch and then that's it (indoors at least). In a way I think sometimes people just want someone to make a decision, to take it out of their hands.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Leicester never actually came out of lockdown. :(
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

smalex wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:28 pm With all the tourism you'd think it would be worse, but its been stupidly low throughout.
We were talking about this at work today. The only things we could think of were that there are no indoor shopping centres or big entertainment complex things where people can gather, you're hard pushed to find a bowling alley. Apart from eating out all tourist entertainment is outdoors. Locals with any sense tend not to go out either in summer so there's not huge amounts of mixing. I don't know what else it can be.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I don't really know either, but i think it proves sitting on beaches is no great threat to anyone at least!
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Tbh I wish they had put us in Tier 2 so that no-one is tempted to come down for a bit of 'freedom'. I still won't be going out anywhere.
Turtle Bean

Re: Covid-19k

Post by Turtle Bean »

Blackburn is still Tier 3 obviously. I was in Aldi at lunchtime and behind me in the queue was a man with no mask standing deliberately and aggressively close to me. I felt quite upset. I hardly ever go into Blackburn as it is full of mask deniers.