Covid-19

smalex

Re: Corona Virus

Post by smalex »

On the otherhand, someone on my FB is declaring that the simple solution to Corona Virus is to just ban all air travel. Because that doesn't have incredibly significant rmaifications (nor to people travel any other way, apparently).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:00 pm My friend has just got back from Milan with a cold and is declaring that the world has gone mad because she’s expected to self isolate :ella: I bet she would be singing a different tune if it was someone else she could then be in contact with.
It’s always everybody else who has to take steps.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

A mutual friend who is a farmer has just pointed how quarantine works and that actually her coming home from a source of infection is madness :scrap:
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Work have just sent around a missive, and I had come back from Venice a week later than I did, I would be at home self isolating now :(
Malan
Luce

Post by Luce »

Ah, the thread I was looking for!

I'm a bit traumatised every time I think of those poor sods on the cruise ship. Hell on earth.

Should I be avoiding spending the day in a small house with a relative over from Malaysia in two weeks? Advice doesn't seem to be clear about who you should steer clear of for now.
Glint

Post by Glint »

Have they travelled over yet? If they haven't, it could be a non event.

Also, do you trust them to self isolate if they did start to develop symptoms and inform you if they started after you met them?

I don't think I would make firm plans to meet up with them.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

If they haven’t travelled, I don’t think they should (?)
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

I don't think Malaysia is very affected at the moment, is it?
smalex

Post by smalex »

I think they've only got (from what google says, anyway) 22 cases (18 of whom have recovered), so I don't think so?
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

It was on the list of affected countries at Heathrow.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I don't think it sounds like a huge risk, if I'm being honest Luce, but then again, I am silently anxious and seething if you come near anywhere near me within a week of vomiting, so I do completely get feeling like you'd rather not and having trouble weighing up the relative risk. I'd probably feel very concerned about it too.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I was just saying yesterday that a lot of people won't self-isolate unless they're forced to.
smalex

Post by smalex »

ParisGal wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:13 pm I was just saying yesterday that a lot of people won't self-isolate unless they're forced to.
Hmmm, People aren't very good at it, even with well proven and established rules (like the 48hr vomiting rule #brokenrecord)
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I don't really see how it can work any way. If you come back from an at-risk place and go home, even if you somehow are able to not leave your house for 14 days, what about everyone else who lives with you?
Starry

Post by Starry »

I was wondering about that too. I mean the doctor in Tenerife passed it on to his wife.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:05 pm It was on the list of affected countries at Heathrow.
Just checked, Malaysia is on the list for travellers who are showing symptoms unlike e.g. northern Italy where you’re supposed to self isolate even if asymptomatic.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

They are probably asking the same question about going on holiday in an affected country as people here are.
Last edited by Topcat on Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

ParisGal wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:19 pm I don't really see how it can work any way. If you come back from an at-risk place and go home, even if you somehow are able to not leave your house for 14 days, what about everyone else who lives with you?
One of the local schools has sent some students and staff home to self-quarantine and all their families have to self-quarantine too.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I wouldn't be worried about Malaysia. It doesn't seem much worse there than in the UK.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Ah thanks. I think because it was on the list like Tex said. It's not something I'm hugely concerned about but don't want to be too cavalier, stupid. I don't know when he's traveling over, in the next week or so I'd imagine.

And, no, I don't trust him to self isolate himself, I expect to get fully gaslighted about so thought I was best getting some facts first. I'm not hugely keen to avoid it off I don't have to, it will be nice for the kids to see their family.

I might leave it a week and see what the advice is then.