Covid-19

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Re: Covid-19

Post by Marth »

Annabella wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:19 pm To update – message from Carers Trust CEO

“I know that we all hope 2021 will see the elimination as far as possible of the devastating pandemic. 2020 was an extraordinary year and it is right that we reflect and learn from the past 12 months as we regroup and focus on the work ahead. And even though we are in lockdown and times are tough, at least we do now have those long-awaited vaccines to help us get through Covid 19.

Late in 2020 and over the Christmas period we lobbied hard for the inclusion of unpaid carers on the vaccine prioritisation list. We are delighted to have confirmation that unpaid carers are entitled to the vaccine as a priority and our attention has now turned to communicating this in the vaccine rollout and to support decision makers to think about how this can be delivered (e.g. unpaid carers being vaccinated at the same time as the person they care for).”

This might depend on areas though.
Carers are priority group 6 ( I do freelancing for a carers charity. I used to know people from the carers trust! :)) I wonder if you knew them too)
Malan
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I panic bought a pulse oximeter in the first lockdown :look:
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I also don't understand the shops as a source of infection? Is this to do with the new variant?
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Nothing is 100% safe though, so the risk is lessened with masks, distancing etc, but nothing can be foolproof and there will always be an element of uncertainty.
sally maclennane

No, I get that but it just seems to be more people here reporting that shops could be the only place they could have got it. That would basically mean surface transmission and I thought the risks around that had been found to be less than first thought.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Not necessarily. Shops near here are full of people not wearing masks or social distancing.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I agree, I can't see how shops could ever be 100% safe (or anywhere inside could be really) - the risk is as low as possible (at least in areas/shops where people comply with mask wearing) but can't be eradicated. People have to go, shops have to be available, so they're as safe as they can be, but. Anyway we don't know where he got it, the most "risky" thing we've done is have a plumber round replacing our leaking toilet (so necessary) but the timings don't add for it to be the plumber. Other than that it's either the chemist, Sainsbury's Local at 7 am, or walking outside. The timing points to the chemist. Also his chemist is a bit crap like yours Bramble (I use a different one).

But dizzy, your mum has had two vaccines, please try not to worry about her, she's surely pretty safe.

Good to hear people have felt reassured by the pulse oximeter!
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Here I feel safe in our supermarket, but still about 50% of people that I see don't sanitise their trolley handle or hands when arriving. Everyone is wearing a mask but there's always a few people (usually the elderly) wearing them only on the mouth. If the infection level was higher here then there'd absolutely be a few people getting it through bad luck even if they're wearing masks and sanitising themselves.
sally maclennane

Loralei wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:56 pm Not necessarily. Shops near here are full of people not wearing masks or social distancing.
Ah fair enough, the ones here are OK for masks although the supermarkets could do more around distancing.

It just suddenly seems to have increased and I'm honestly not disputing anyone's claims, I just can't bear the thought of panicking every time I go into a shop and panicking about it for ages afterwards. I felt like that at the start of the first lockdown and it was hideous.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

It's that the new variant is more contagious unfortunately, but through primarily the same method (aerosols in the air, I think contact transmission is still considered very low risk relatively).

Keep the shop-going to a minimum, wear a mask (or even two) when you have to go indoors where other people are, and you've done as much as you can to protect yourself.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

olive wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:57 pm I’m ok, thanks. I’m over the worst of my symptoms but my head still isn’t right. I’m having dizzy spells so am constantly nauseous and my vision goes blurry at random times. It feels like a combination of a sinus infection and vertigo.
This is exactly what it was like for me. There's definitely still something a bit 'off' around my eustachian tubes. :)) I even had a massive dizzy spell and had to go home from work the first week back after Xmas - so a full month after my self-isolation was over.
geek_kitten

Post by geek_kitten »

Marth wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:10 pm Geek? Is your niece a paid care worker? I ask because I haven't heard of any unpaid carers getting their jab yet.
She’s my fiancé’s (M’s) niece not mine :)) She’s an unpaid carer, based in Scotland. She and her sister are both registered carers for their mum and they both got vaccinated. I don’t know how they both got it so early, but their mum is something of a medical celebrity (she fairly miraculously survived something that should have killed her) and I wonder if it may have come about from that in some way. I’ll ask next time I speak to her.

M’s mum is the registered carer for M’s dad and she also got vaccinated fairly early on (but she’s over 65 so that made more sense).
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

geek_kitten wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:31 pm
Marth wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:10 pm Geek? Is your niece a paid care worker? I ask because I haven't heard of any unpaid carers getting their jab yet.
She’s my fiancé’s (M’s) niece not mine :)) She’s an unpaid carer, based in Scotland. She and her sister are both registered carers for their mum and they both got vaccinated. I don’t know how they both got it so early, but their mum is something of a medical celebrity (she fairly miraculously survived something that should have killed her) and I wonder if it may have come about from that in some way. I’ll ask next time I speak to her.

M’s mum is the registered carer for M’s dad and she also got vaccinated fairly early on (but she’s over 65 so that made more sense).
I know that some places are taking a common sense approch and calling in people when they have stock etc. Unpaid carers definitely need to be on those kind of lists ( if the govt won't vaccinate them at the same time as the people they care for (England)
Malan
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

Thanks for the explaining and hand holding sorry to be intrusive I just genuinely couldn't see how and I was getting all worked up

I'm sorry that so many turtles are suffering from this hideous disease

I have an oximeter on my watch but I have no idea how accurate it is
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Food shops have stayed open not because they're risk free but because the risk has been weighed up against people needing food. ;) I think the risk is aerosols, as Derek says, so even if everyone was wearing masks correctly all the time they're not going to stop all the particles getting out and they'll build up indoors over time.

There's risk in everything though, so I guess you just have to do what you can to protect yourself and weigh up risk Vs reward.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Ruby wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:22 pm
olive wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:57 pm I’m ok, thanks. I’m over the worst of my symptoms but my head still isn’t right. I’m having dizzy spells so am constantly nauseous and my vision goes blurry at random times. It feels like a combination of a sinus infection and vertigo.
This is exactly what it was like for me. There's definitely still something a bit 'off' around my eustachian tubes. :)) I even had a massive dizzy spell and had to go home from work the first week back after Xmas - so a full month after my self-isolation was over.
Interesting! When I spoke to the lady at the department of health (they called to check up on me after my + result and same for the boys) she said that it’s quite a common symptom.
sally maclennane

Thanks everyone, just to clarify, I didn't think supermarkets were fully safe but they seem to be less safe at present, if that's where more people are picking up the virus. As Ken says, it's weighing up risks as I can't get online deliveries plus getting out once a week keeps me sane.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

The Guardian had a good article transmission, generally, today.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I ran with D last night and she talked the whole way round. She's had another bad week at work

The ward she is on for her rotation has had three patients die this week. There's 5 patients left and they need to get them all moved to rehab then the ward will be closed before being deep cleaned and reopened. She may be deployed to ICU and if so, will probably be helping to prone patients.

It's so hard for all healthcare professionals. Doctors are having to choose who does and doesn't get vented. It's heartbreaking.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh Bramble. That's awful, what a lot for her to have to deal with.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents