Covid-19

Lola

Re: Covid-19

Post by Lola »

I can sort of understand organisations asking staff not to mention masks as they are not mandatory now so they are probably worried about the legalities & accusations of discrimination etc. The government have really messed things up for companies (no surprise there).

I went into work today & hardly anyone was wearing a mask when they were walking around. It made me feel like I was the stupid one for wearing one :ella:
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I don't really get it - companies and universities etc impose rules of all sorts that aren't legal rules of the whole country on the people who frequent them, why are masks not to be mentioned?
Lola

Post by Lola »

Well when you put it like that, I don’t know :))
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

They are mandatory here though :))
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

smalex wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:24 pm Who actually nearly died of fucking covid. Honestly, it beggars belief.
I read this quote immediately after the post about Kermit and got very confused.

I went to the pharmacy today for my flu jab, and forgot my sodding mask. So I hovered in the back holding my breath and I was given a mask when I asked for one - but the pharmacy staff were all wearing masks around their chins, or not at all, so I felt a bit of a knob.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

ParisGal wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:06 pm I don't really get it - companies and universities etc impose rules of all sorts that aren't legal rules of the whole country on the people who frequent them, why are masks not to be mentioned?
In case students don't like it and go somewhere else, essentially. Senior management seen really terrified of doing anything that students won't like, although I'd have thought that many of them might feel anxious. We've asked for masks in crowded places which we've defined as entering and exiting teaching spaces but not whilst in a space where they're inches away from others got some reason.

I had a call to collect Tim from nursery yesterday afternoon with a temperature again. Managed to book a PCR test for 6pm, and the results (negative) came through at 9am this morning so we didn't even need to alter our plans for the day which was very impressive!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Humph. D has his test at 6 last night and no results yet!

I don’t envy you having to administer the tests to toddlers!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

The wait is always so frustrating so it was such a relief this time.

I've found walk-in is much better as you can get a good angle to clamp the head still whilst the other parent does the shoving up the nose. ;)
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Kenickie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:11 pm
I've found walk-in is much better as you can get a good angle to clamp the head still whilst the other parent does the shoving up the nose. ;)
Again, sentences you never thought you'd say :lol: Great news about Tim though and fingers crossed for D, Cerise.

My brother and SIL have improved quite a bit thankfully. My niece has it too, she is 17 so had had one shot (I think that's all she would get anyway). She is a few days behind her mum and dad so still feeling ill. I just dropped off a care parcel to them of chocolate and wine.

I feel so conflicted about it all. Cases are still high in Scotland although they are going down. There were 50 deaths reported yesterday, the highest in a single day since February :( Yet so many people I know are just cracking on with stuff that makes me feel uneasy - indoor gigs, holidays abroad, birthday parties, big nights out. I'm not exactly risk averse, I've been out for meals, to the hairdresser's, to a hotel for a few days but the thought of anything crowded and indoors makes me feel so uncomfortable. Maybe I'm over reacting and I really don't want to seem judgy as I know the things I have done would be outwith other people's comfort zones.

It's not like I want another lockdown and I do think to an extent, we (society) have to live with it but I just can't help feeling uneasy about it at the moment. I am just waffling really, I don't know what the answer is.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
viggy

Post by viggy »

My friend's 10yo is ill with Covid - the lad who sits next to him was in school on Monday, saying both parents and his big sister had covid but he was in school because he tested negative. By Tuesday said boy was off ill, and by Friday my friend's 10yo had symptoms and tested positive :lg:

Friend is double jagged but is on meds that suppress her immune system, so understandably she's very angry and pretty scared right now.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Things like that make me so angry! How incredibly thoughtless and selfish of those parents letting their kid go to school. Your poor friend, Vig!
sally maclennane

I can absolutely understand why your friend is angry, Vig but from what I can gather, those parents followed the current guidance. If a child is under 18, and a contact, I don't think they even have to have a test.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

They absolutely followed the guidelines unfortunately. The school would have insisted on that child’s attendance.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Kleio wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:33 pm They absolutely followed the guidelines unfortunately. The school would have insisted on that child’s attendance.
God, really? If S and I get it and W is testing negative he's not going. They can fine me if they like.

(I know its allowed I just never would've thought the school would insist!)
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Absolutely, smal. Anything else is foolhardy.
sally maclennane

I guess each school/local authority will apply its own policy (up here all schools are run by LA unless they're private) for attendance but the parents haven't breached any guidance.

I do think there should be a difference between the guidance for being a contact because you live with people who have tested positive and being a contact in other ways.
Last edited by sally maclennane on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Well I can’t speak for that school but I know my nephews school insisted he attended when he was a close contact.

His sister and 3 of her friends got it after they’d been bowling for her birthday. Their dad too.

He had to keep going to school and my sister chose to test him daily and it won’t surprise you he got it a week later.

A friend of mine came down with it along with her best friend and her parents. It meant she couldn’t get her (negative) Y4 to school. They go to a different school to mine and a member of staff came every day and walked them!
smalex

Post by smalex »

No! Jesus christ.
No, no way. Not happening.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It honestly seems like wilful negligence.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I actually can understand the insistence for schools with lower attendance. The lack of school has been so damaging that you do need a blanket rule. But in reality, if a child had good attendance under all other circumstances then it would be insane not to let that child stay at home. I’d be very surprised if our schools insisted on attendance for either child if the rest of us were positive; I know of quite a few instances where that hasn’t been the case.