Covid-19

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Marth »

Ruby wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:44 pm
emma_p wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:50 pm Ooh, I’ve been offered a test via the symptom app. I’ve had no symptoms since I downloaded the app apart from very dry lips which seems to have triggered it!
I was offered a test as well, for having digestive issues, but they are just testing their algorithm rather than thinking you might have it. Does that make sense? I seem to have lost the ability to communicate.
Luce wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:26 pm I've been bracing myself to go in and out of lockdown,
Same. I think that might happen. We have been told schools have to open for all pupils in September but we are also buying-in stuff and doing training in case we need to switch to blended or remote learning.
Our school has bought and handed out all the text books the year 10s and 12s will need for next year, so every child has their own copies. This is telling me they are not confident children will be back fully from September. I can't get my head around SB2 having to do practically all his A level education in this way.
Malan
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

You might be right, but to me that would just be because social distancing means they can't share textbooks in class?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I think mentally accepting it has the potential to be quite a tough winter would be quite sensible at this point. :look:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

It’s winter over here now. Thankfully my state is going well. 2 current active cases. Zero community transmission. It’s getting back to business as usual. We’ve been instructed to be physically in the office a minimum of 50% of the time.

However in Victoria, specifically Melbourne, things are getting bad. There have been hundreds of new cases in past couple of weeks and sustained community transmission. Several Social housing tower blocks (which have high proportions of immigrant residents) have been forcibly locked down and the the racism and classism in some of the media coverage is just appalling. Melbourne itself is reverting to stage 3 restrictions for the next 6 weeks. Queensland (where I live) is opening state internal borders again, but not to Victorians or people who have spent time there before their arrival.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Sorry, I should've been country specific. :)) I think the potential for resurgence in cases and admissions, plus a repeat lockdown when there's max 6 hours daylight, plus possibly a painful leaving of the EU on 31 December could add up to erm, 'difficulty' in the UK this year. I've already thought through how I might work flexibly to get outside when it is light and the stockpile will be getting some attention this summer.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I wouldn't even have thought to report dry lips via the app, as I would be so sure that had nothing to do with the virus.

Surely a second wave would be handled differently, rather than letting it build up and then sudden lock down of everything. We know so much more now and businesses are so much better prepared. Also, lots of office staff will still be working from home in November, which cuts out a whole load of interaction (transport to office, coffee shop visit, being in the office and chatting to people, visiting lunch shop, additional transport home). All that will make a difference.

I also read a positive article in the Guardian a while back about how much better equipped we would be for a resurgence. Not just that streroid drug that cuts death rates, but knowledge and experience of how to deal with patients too.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Yes, I think there's a lot of (positive) mitigating factors. But also, you have Nicole Sturgeon and we have Johnson, so excuse my mild pessimism. :)) I also tend to prefer to err on the side of planning for disaster.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:33 am Sorry, I should've been country specific. :)) I think the potential for resurgence in cases and admissions, plus a repeat lockdown when there's max 6 hours daylight, plus possibly a painful leaving of the EU on 31 December could add up to erm, 'difficulty' in the UK this year. I've already thought through how I might work flexibly to get outside when it is light and the stockpile will be getting some attention this summer.
I think everybody who might want a SAD lamp should think about getting one now. God, it’s hard not to catastrophise. Fucking Brexit. I know you all hate me banging on about it, but it’s terrifying.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:22 am I think mentally accepting it has the potential to be quite a tough winter would be quite sensible at this point. :look:
Yes, definitely!
indigo

Post by indigo »

I agree with Bats too. I've been imagining the sort of scenario Lucy mentions - in and out of lockdown until there's a vaccine.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Bean's thread was actually really helpful for me, because it made me think about bits of practicals I would do differently if there's a repeat of similar restrictions. And also, whilst I was slavish about guidelines initially, I would make decisions based on informed risk assessment now. Like bubbling with Mum, if feasible depending on risk level, as being isolated was hard for both of us. And getting Mum registered for online delivery and vulnerable group and delivery passes, etc, as she hated having to outsource shopping as we got the wrong things or chose poor substitutes. :)) And being inside 24/7, and At Home all the time is one of my pinch points, so even if we are on 'essential travel' I will drive out and sit somewhere else, as my risk/reward (for me, everyone) tells me this is vital to my sanity. R and I self isolated at the start of March and at the end of the period I went and sat in the car in Tesco car park for an hour, crying intermittently. :))
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Mountain Goat wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:31 pm Part of me is tempted to actually do some stuff now while it's relatively safe, before autumn hits.
This is what I plan to do. I think I've been prepared mentally for potentially going in and out of lockdown this winter for a couple of weeks now - partly because of having the children going back to school in September and the potential for them being in and out repeatedly, plus being in London still feels more risky just because of the sheer volume of people.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Flora Poste wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:10 am
Mountain Goat wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:31 pm Part of me is tempted to actually do some stuff now while it's relatively safe, before autumn hits.
This is what I plan to do. I think I've been prepared mentally for potentially going in and out of lockdown this winter for a couple of weeks now - partly because of having the children going back to school in September and the potential for them being in and out repeatedly, plus being in London still feels more risky just because of the sheer volume of people.
Do you mean like getting out and about - going to a museum or zoo or something?
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Yes, exactly that. We've booked to go to the Tate Modern when it re-opens, things like that. Mr P is still on a 4 day week so we're going to take advantage of that and use that Friday to do things. But pick quiet times and be careful how we travel.
indigo

Post by indigo »

An old friend is here for the next couple of days and wants to meet up for a drink. It's funny how much of a visceral reaction I had to it. I'm absolutely no way on this earth going into town.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Flora Poste wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:14 am Yes, exactly that. We've booked to go to the Tate Modern when it re-opens, things like that. Mr P is still on a 4 day week so we're going to take advantage of that and use that Friday to do things. But pick quiet times and be careful how we travel.
Yes, this is how I feel. I need to make something of the summer or the whole year will be bust. We’ll go to the zoo and a different outdoor animal place. I’m booking a week in an apartment in Poole and am going to look at Nerf day camp availability for the boys. Risk here is low at the moment and it won’t always be that way.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

We’re trying to force ourselves to go out and about a bit more, and today’s challenge is to cross the river on the Overground (which will actually be underground), just one stop, outside rush hour. I really don’t like the idea of it at all, but I’m probably being a baby.

I think the Tate Modern sounds ok, as long as there are loos. I’m obsessed :)).
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I get that having Boris in charge is not reassuring. Its a problem for us too, unfortunately, though Nicola doesn't stand for any shite :))
indigo wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:55 am I agree with Bats too. I've been imagining the sort of scenario Lucy mentions - in and out of lockdown until there's a vaccine.
I have assumed something like that since I first read the paper that triggered the last lockdown. But future "lockdown" would be a turning off and on of selected measures rather than a blunt stopping of everyone going out at all, except for a single hour long walk each day. They should be watching the effect of each relaxation of the rules and understanding more about what effect each one has. Opening nightclubs will be riskier than opening playparks for example.

Although the focus has shifted. At the beginning of all this there seemed to be a general assumption that most of us would get the virus and we just needed to flatten the curve to stop intensive care beds from being overwhelmed. And now we're more about preventing too many people from actually catching it, which is better.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

The loos will be open at the Tate, Ella!
Toilets remain open with increased cleaning regimes
We're planning a few museum and gallery visits. I really need some of my old life back.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Good to know, thank you! And that sounds like a plan.