Covid-19

Mountain Goat

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Mountain Goat »

Please do. :))

I'm already seeing the "well! We couldn't have Easter and you didn't see us complaining" tweets. Fuck so far off.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Disco

Post by Disco »

It was actually ten days ago when I saw numbers were rising :snooty: :CMO:
Luce

Post by Luce »

Ruby wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:33 am
Luce wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:25 am All towns between us and Bradford are 'open' so the lack of clarity is boiling my piss.
Surely not? Isn't it just everywhere that's in the borough of Bradford i.e. Keighley, Ilkley, Haworth etc. Who collects your bins? :))
Yes it is but not Menston, Guiseley etc. They're closer to Bradford but under Leeds Council. Bradford do our bins, we're definitely under Bradford council but it's always been heavily contested since we're 15 miles out or so and much closer to other districts. I mean, classic omnishambles :))

Basically our postcode is LS, we live practically in North Yorkshire yet we're under Bradford council. So rules is rules, it includes us but we're all very pearl-clutchy about the sheer injustice of being included with those ruffians :lol:

Even clearer (!) is the situation with gyms. The wording says that gyms in Bradford are to 'remain' closed. So my gym thinks it might be exempt because those rules might pertain just to Bradford city centre gyms which were never allowed to open in the first place, rather than our gyms which have been open for a week or so.
rosy

Post by rosy »

That’s crazy, Lucy.

Congrats, Morgs!

The part of the town where I live (it’s three villages loosely grouped as a town) has the fastest rising number of cases in the whole of Derbyshire according to the council stats this week so I suspect we’ll get a local lockdown here soon too.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:07 pm C just told me that everyone in his office is going to be given a 2m stick to keep others away. :lol: They’re deadly serious.
That’s brilliant :lol:. My office is buying everyone a thermometer to take your temperature on a daily basis, for when we do eventually go back.

I have never felt so angry as watching Johnson gesticulate and thump his fist randomly throughout his speech, whilst telling off the naughty public for not fully obeying his rules.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Mountain Goat wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:48 pm Please do. :))

I'm already seeing the "well! We couldn't have Easter and you didn't see us complaining" tweets. Fuck so far off.
Ah yes, Easter, that massive and hugely culturally important British festival of family time :ella:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

And you know the sort of person who would say that absolutely did whinge about missing Easter ( even if they had no plans).
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I think the 2mm sticks will be more useful than the temperature checks. None of the kids here who now have Covid from the camp ever registered an elevated temperature at the campground.

I'd use the stick to whack people without masks.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Great idea to drink a hot cuppa then take your temp and get sent home for the day.

C also says they have thermal cameras that don’t work in extreme heat, like today.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

The temperature check thing is odd. Surely by the point thar you have a fever, you're not skipping about going to work etc, you're in bed. When I had a fever I was incapable of anything but sleeping, not popping out to the dentist.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

At the restaurant the other day, they zapped our foreheads from a distance. It was quite a hot day. I'm not sure it's a foolproof method.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

No, they were taking the children's temperatures daily when they were at school but the thermometers were so rubbish that most of them were showing as hypothermic but hey, 34° is under 38° so come on in!
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

Well yes, I doubt anyone who has a fever is going to be surprised by having a temperature. I think with my company they’re tripping over themselves to show as trying to do something to prepare. Our offices are narrow and have no air conditioning or real ventilation at all, so social distancing will be impossible.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I’d love a stick to keep people away from me at work* (or anywhere really) :lol:

*When I go back one day...
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

We've got loads of metre rulers at school, I'm going to gaffer tape two together and tie it round my middle to keep children away from me.

Reading about families celebrating Eid who were staying together last night, completely following the rules, who now have to return home to London from Manchester etc as it is now against the law to be together. They could have given a bit of notice so people could plan their celebrations in terms of not bothering travelling and buying/making food for the right number of people. A Muslim leader on the radio asked whether they would do this on Christmas Eve. It's very shitty.

Same with the wedding receptions planned for tomorrow. Loads of couples who stuck it out and planned a scaled down day in line with the rules and now can only have a quick ceremony.

Cases were going up, plain for all to see, they should have given a bit of notice. Plus pubs, shopping centres and gyms still OK.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I don't understand why pubs and restaurants are still open. Surely they have to be the first things to close again if there are issues.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I just don't understand why they can't target the relevant postcodes. The blanket thing over Bradford is absolutely mental.

Gyms definitely not ok. Mine has put so much time and money into making it safe, even a new air con system. They've been absolutely blind-sided by this. My town has zero cases, has done for weeks and yet I'm allowed to sit in a gross pub but can't go to a gym. I want to rage.

I'm all for whack-a-mole lockdowns, by the way. It's the only way forward. But bloody hell, communicate it better and target the right areas.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

I guess is really hard in urban areas as people move around so much and the boroughs are quite small. This week, I've been in multiple postcodes, my gym is near my house but could easily be near work which is in a different borough. Also, my gym is generally filthy and there's no way I'll go back. I guess some pubs will do it really well, others will do it terribly; some gyms will do it will, others terribly etc. They really need a team to do spot checks on places and give advice/shut down places doing it badly but I guess who can staff that.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Lola wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:28 pm I’d love a stick to keep people away from me at work* (or anywhere really) :lol:

*When I go back one day...
We had a conversation at work about making the 2m rule a law, pandemic or not. Keep out of my personal space you fuckers. :))
Topcat wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:31 pm I don't understand why pubs and restaurants are still open. Surely they have to be the first things to close again if there are issues.
I read somewhere today that if this continues schools may not reopen in September (only a journo opinion, not government fact). I do hope they close down the non-essentials first before they get to this point.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

My gym was always filthy, and my PT used to complain as it was meant to be the staff that had to clean it on their shifts, not an outside cleaning company. If they were short staffed they'd get the lifeguards in to clean, because 17 year olds on minimum wage are really going to do a good job of cleaning. They are allowing 5 minutes between gym sessions to clean on the new regime and I just don't trust them enough to do it properly, so I'm not going back. Also, a max of 35 people per session which to me is far too many in the size of the gym.