Covid-19

kiwi

Re: Covid-19

Post by kiwi »

I'm sad for all of you having to make these choices. The rules mean that we won't be doing any gathering this year as there are too many households to mix, so I'd rather just wait until it's ok to do so and get together then. Fortunately I don't think any of us will be bothered, apart from small niece, but it must be horrible for those families who are.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Would you sister agree not to see your parents over xmas Heebs so you can? Or is that a ridiculous question?
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

kiwi wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:25 pm Would you sister agree not to see your parents over xmas Heebs so you can? Or is that a ridiculous question?
It genuinely doesn't occur to any of them that they are a bubble, going in each other's homes and doing full childcare days. I said it to my mum who doesn't really think it is a bubble because it's only for childcare, but not to my sister who is "fragile" and there's no point in upsetting her or it negates the whole point of her having the support bubble and days off from parenting. So they will think I am not correct. The choice is break the rules or not see them. I'm more resentful about that than I am about the actual day alone. I'll probably just wearily break the rules to allow Beebie to have normality. And bring my ex along, otherwise it will be just him and Beebie at home.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Heebie, I am sorry.

My dad is quite convinced he’ll get “the vaccine” before Christmas. I was thinking it would be more like March for the first lot?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I think there's a chance that some healthcare front line workers and the very vulnerable might - is he in an extra risk group apart from age?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

And yes, I'm sorry Heebs, that's a really shitty position they're putting you in.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Unless your dad is in a care home, I think after Christmas is more realistic.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Theyre saying some people will get it, but I think it'll probably only be a small number of highly vulnerable people.
Eta: too slow.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

March has been touted as the start of frontline workers and vulnerable people getting the vaccine in Queensland with the end of next year likely for Joe Public. The tone of optimism about the vaccine availability is very different here to what I’m hearing on the BBC.

I’m so sorry that it’s so hard for so many of you for Christmas. My poor mum is really down about it too as it will just be her and my dad.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Also, in vaccine news, the CEO of Qantas said this week that proof of vaccination will be mandatory for international flights with them when they resume (tentatively mid-next year)
Last edited by Estrella on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disco

Post by Disco »

That's rubbish, Heebie, I'm sorry.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

It really is Strella, they're quite adamant that the mass public roll out here will be in the Spring.

Having said that, the government took a gamble and did put in a very early pre order for the AZ/Oxford vaccine, with the money upfront, so it may be that we have a headstart on you guys.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

God, I'm sorry for everyone who is having to navigate through this with extreme diplomacy. It's so hard for so many people.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
smalex

Post by smalex »

Estrella wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:40 pm Also, in vaccine news, the CEO of Qantas said this week that proof of vaccination will be mandatory for international flights with them when they resume (tentatively mid-next year)
I really hope everyone does this. I think there has to start being consequences for opting out of vaccinations.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

emma_p wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:37 pm Unless your dad is in a care home, I think after Christmas is more realistic.
Exactly, right? He’s in his late 70s and is very vulnerable, but he’s not in a care home yet. He’s making plans based on not being too far from home around Christmas in case he “loses his place” in the queue. I have no idea where this has come from.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

smalex wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:42 pm
Estrella wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:40 pm Also, in vaccine news, the CEO of Qantas said this week that proof of vaccination will be mandatory for international flights with them when they resume (tentatively mid-next year)
I really hope everyone does this. I think there has to start being consequences for opting out of vaccinations.
Agreed.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Yeah, Aus has a pre-order of 10M Pfizer ones. And 40M Novavax. Our PM has said they have potential access to 134M doses across various agreements.

Sorry, slow typing here. That was in response to Derek.
Last edited by Estrella on Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Thanks all, I should stop whining as my situation is far from the worst.

Your dad might be being a tad optimistic there Ella. I think care home workers and over 80s might be in with a shout to get a vaccine in December sometime (at least in Scotland, from what I have read), but even then I wouldn't count on it.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

smalex wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:37 pm Yes, I *think* that you can't be in two bubbles, so three households max in a bubble. So if J and C see her parents, thats two households. If they see you too, that's the three you're in. You couldn't then have S, although if your mum is in your household bubble I *think* that would be ok.
Thanks. No, my mum has bubbled with someone round the corner who can do her shopping, as I am not going out for mine (or at all other than for medical appointments). This is the worst case scenario, then, as I'm guessing that S will be seeing her J's dad at some point, as he lives near them and on his own. It's so difficult, as C's parents lost their son to cancer a couple of years ago, so I completely understand that they will want to see C. I knew that J would be going there for Christmas Day, and had accepted that this would be the first Christmas we won't be all together on the day, as I always knew that it would happen one day. Not having S either makes it worse, though, and this year there is the added complication of my mum, who usually goes to my sister. She can't do that this year, as my sister has 4 children, complete with partners, ex-partners and a million grandchildren.

I might have been willing to risk it if not for the fact that they can't come without staying over at least one night. Factoring that in just seems like too much of a risk after all this time and so close to a vaccine being available.

Heebie, my mum can sometimes be a bit wilful in her lack of understanding, too. She has more of a grasp of the rules since she has been made vulnerable herself because of the op - before that she was quite resistant, and I think she thought that I was over-reacting.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Re vaccines - don't we have to have two shots a month (or weeks at any rate) apart before they take effect? Even if we got one tomorrow, nobody would be safe by Christmas, I don't think.

(and yes about the consequences. I have long thought that about MMR)