Covid-19

Disco

Re: The Bats Fully Approved Thread about Covid-19

Post by Disco »

smalex

Post by smalex »

I read the other day they estimate the true infection rate in march was probably about 100,000 cases a day. Which is insane.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I read that too, Smal, but can't remember where. Or I might have heard it on the news.
smalex

Post by smalex »

It was on the BBC a few days ago I'm sure.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Ruby wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:01 pm In the case of a teacher being infected, it's unlikely that large groups would *have* to isolate. Basically, according to government guidelines the teachers are 'distant' from the child because they're not literally breathing into their face for 15 minutes - even if you have all been in a classroom, unmasked, with zero ventilation. Plus, if you are teaching you are projecting your voice so... :woteva: And you can't teach a full 2 metres away from any children - otherwise why don't we just do distant learning? In summary, teachers could be the Typhoid Mary in this situation, but don't blame the school as it's the ridiculous government guidelines.
Ah no, I'm not blaming the school at all. More the nonsense guidelines as you say. Sorry :))
Disco

Post by Disco »

smalex wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:49 pm It was on the BBC a few days ago I'm sure.
Yes, I think you're right. It sounds so much. 100, 000 a DAY! Even though my mum had no antibodies, I still think there's a chance that she and I had it. Even though it seems too early in the year, but then it was winter and people get terrible coughs in winter. I've never written a poster to another household member instructing them to call 999 because I can't breathe before this year.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Smunder Woman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:49 pm Ah no, I'm not blaming the school at all. More the nonsense guidelines as you say. Sorry :))
I know you weren't, sorry. I've just had this conversation ba lot lately. :twitch: Obvs the government have put out weird guidelines and when the school's enforce it, we're getting earache from both sides
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I can imagine!
Panda

Post by Panda »

We have had one member of my team at work go into isolation with his family this week as his wife (a teacher) tested positive (they're all feeling ok so far thankfully). Another of the team's family member has a serious heart condition and had symptoms - they couldn't get a test for love nor money and in the end had to arrange it via their consultant, fortunately it was negative. And now another person in the team today is off with a fever - his wife is a nurse, but they cannot get a test. This is a small team of 20, and my CEO is still keen that we encourage more staff back in to office work :ttth:
Starry

Post by Starry »

S has his brain jab done yesterday so now we are just waiting for results. In the meantime we are looking at tougher restrictions for Dublin, because the cases have doubled in 14 days.

It all feels very March 2020.
smalex

Post by smalex »

What is testing availability like in other countries?
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Starry wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:25 pm S has his brain jab done yesterday so now we are just waiting for results. In the meantime we are looking at tougher restrictions for Dublin, because the cases have doubled in 14 days.

It all feels very March 2020.
My brother works for the head of something in the HSE or whatever it's called now, and strongly suggests things are going to get worse :look:
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

smalex wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:31 pm What is testing availability like in other countries?
No issues getting tests here as far as I know but we also don’t have any contact tracing to speak of.
Starry

Post by Starry »

S was referred on Monday by the GP and got his test yesterday. You can’t just ring up for a test, a doctor has to put you into the system, or you have to have come up in contact tracing. If you don’t hear within 48 hours of referral with a testing time, you ring a helpline and they sort you out. S rang the line bang on 48 hours after referral at 11am and was given a slot for 12.15 in a centre 20 minutes away.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

Smunder Woman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:33 pm My brother works for the head of something in the HSE or whatever it's called now, and strongly suggests things are going to get worse :look:
I can’t imagine that it won’t, sadly. I keep telling myself I’m being pessimistic - desperately clinging on to the death rate still so seemingly low.

We’ve had an email from M’s school today confirming a case. She’s not on the list of people that has to isolate, but one of her close friends is.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

What happens if school sends a child home with a cough and says they can’t come in without a negative test but 119 says their symptoms aren’t eligible for a test?
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I guess that has to be fed back to the school and isolation must happen.
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

There’s a case at MissA’s school too. I threatened to hose her down on the front doorstep but we reached a compromise where she finally agreed to getting changed before hugging anyone and putting her clothes straight into the washing machine. I have just had to fork out to get her three new pairs of identical black jeans to facilitate this of course.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Cerise wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:51 pm I guess that has to be fed back to the school and isolation must happen.
You’d think. School are still refusing to have them back without a test but 119 say no isolation required (not my children).
Little My

Post by Little My »

That's crazy.