Covid-19

sally maclennane

Re: Corona Virus

Post by sally maclennane »

I haven't volunteered for anything, I am WFH and am expected to be working full time. I don't have any kids so I'm arguably better off than many re spare time so maybe I should be doing more but I've settled for Ruby's approach of throwing money at the situation because my income is secure and my actual spending has dropped due to being in the house all the time.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Whereas I'm soon going to be unemployed and poor, so I may as well volunteer to do people's shopping, innit.

That sounds sarcastic, but I really mean it. I'm busy with work this week but it's not going to last, so then I'll need something to pass the tiiiiiiiiime.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I think we all do what we can, in whatever form we can do it - even if it's just a donation of fabric and elastic for masks. I'm flat-out with online orders (mostly for elastic for masks!) and have literally no time for anything else at the moment. Even my college work has been put on the back burner, although we are still working towards our annual end-of-year fashion show at the end of May. [Fat. Chance.]
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

Are people buying elastic to make their own face masks, OTH? I'm glad you're busy, anyway!

I messaged a lovely local garden centre about getting some stuff delivered, partly because I want it and partly to help them out, and they didn't reply in over 24hrs, so I popped another message to them to check they'd got it, and they said they'd been swamped with orders and would get to me as soon as they could. I was pleased for them. Hopefully it'll help them for a while.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Police have just banned people driving to exercise by the look of it.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Topcat wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:07 pm Police have just banned people driving to exercise by the look of it.
They are closing carparks on our seafront because people are still packing out the beach. We’ve been told an actual mini bus of Mackems was turned away by the police today. They’d travelled just over an hour to get to my town.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh for crying out loud (at the beach minibus).
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

They've started to fine people according to Facebook. 😂
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Topcat wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:12 pm They've started to fine people according to Facebook. 😂
We know that's bollocks don't we :lol:

I know the guilt is silly. I feel really grateful to have work, to be being paid, being able to support the offspring at this time. I feel very very lucky. That might be why I feel so guilty. Then I have catastrophic thinking such as "Ohhhh I was telling people how lucky and privileged I felt then we all got CV and DIED". Like I am tempting fate. (I first wrote "tempting fart"). What a head fuck it all is.

I am donating cash to the local foodbank, but want to look at a local refugee support and DV.

I'm very sorry about your wedding, Coo. :(
Malan
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

It's because we're nice people who think about others, unlike those fuckers who hoard the food and go out anyway because their not scared of getting the virus.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Please don't tempt any farts, Marth :no:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Are people clapping for the NHS? :uhh: I have such mixed feelings about it.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I don't know. I like the idea but I also think I'll feel like a massive test. I'm also in my pyjamas.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I have opened the window but don't expect to hear much - it might be more noticeable in an area with flats.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'm not sure I can get beyond my cringe to do it. I'd be all in if I actually thought anyone who worked for the NHS might be around to hear it (but I'm reasonably sure anyone in clapping distance doesn't). I'll stick my head out and see if anyone else does it, mind.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Oh our street was full of people doing it :cry:

Eta from their windows and doors.
Last edited by Heebie Jeebie on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I take it back, loads of people came out. It was quite sweet.
rosy

Post by rosy »

My neighbours and I just did it and we could hear people behind us on the main road and even from all the way over the other side of the cricket field joining in too. And then someone set off some fireworks. It might not be much but it’s something.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I just hung out of my upstairs window clapping and now I’m crying, everyone was taking part along the street, people were banging pots with ladles and everything, it was lovely.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Everyone was out on our street. Loads of old people living on their own. They must be so scared and lonely. I properly lost it :cry: