Weight Loss 2020

Estrella

Re: Weight Loss 2020

Post by Estrella »

I have definitely found it harder as I got older, Maya. I probably noticed it about 38 (I’m 40 now).
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

maya wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:22 am has anyone found weight loss post 40 much harder than before without really changing habits? That’s definitely the case for me :mad:
So much harder!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

maya wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:22 am..has anyone found weight loss post 40 much harder than before without really changing habits? That’s definitely the case for me :mad:

Definitely - post-50, and post-thyroid condition even more so!

Even though I’m fairly active, the only way I’ve been able to lose weight is by quite strictly managing my calories down to 1500 (net, fortunately). I have managed to lose a stone that way, but I’d like to lose another half.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I have to aim for 1200 net calories a day or I get nowhere. Admittedly only for 5 days a week.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Me too. 1200 a day then use my exercise calories for any weekend excess.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Why is this? Is the energy used just existing higher when you're young? (Basal metabolic rate??)

I've discovered that I have basically no problem in totally cutting foods out, but I am terrible at cutting down on things. So no more buying any sweets biscuits or chocolate (this is "easy" because I have been advised to cut out dairy & gluten, and the two combined cuts out all biscuits and chocolate that I like and can buy). I will still make some biscuits myself I think, although making choc chip cookies the other day highlighted the huge quantities of fat and sugar in them :(
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Yeah, I’m 1200/day too otherwise I just don’t lose.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Whoever said women need 2000 calories a day was cruel and unfair :cry:
Luna

Post by Luna »

I need to get a grip on my ever widening menopausal girth. I actually feel sick when I bend down to put my shoes on. URGH.

HOWEVER. I have come to realise that losing weight is a bit triggery for me as the only times I've lost a serious amount of weight has been when I've been ill (mentally and physically) so yeah. Trying to get to grips with that. Plus I reckon I have oestogen dominance throwing a spanner in the works.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

MFP gave me 1300 calories a day, it feels like fuck all :cry:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

I started just after the New Year as well. I had been maintaining my pre-pregnancy weight despite eating a lot more, but I noticed that started to change around December and as that was still more than where I want to end up, I've started to cut down. My main change has been to have a lighter dinner (soup/smaller portions), as I have a fairly big breakfast and lunch to keep me going, but the lovely big carby dinner I've been having to stave off crippling hunger during night feeds doesn't seem to be necessary any more :cry:

It seems sustainable so far, and I've already seen some results so I think while still breastfeeding this is the time to do it as I'll need to make more adjustments eventually when that's over. Obviously sitting on the sofa with the baby is a much better way of shedding calories than exercise, so I will enjoy it while it lasts :))
geek_kitten

Post by geek_kitten »

ParisGal wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 am Why is this? Is the energy used just existing higher when you're young? (Basal metabolic rate??)
Partly. I'll reply in more detail later.
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

I'm in and it's bothered me so much I've joined another SW group out of the area so they don't know I'm a consultant and I get unbiased support

Although I have a feeling I've already been rumbled so I'll have to find another if that's the case

My original Tuesday group no longer treats me as a member as I cover it that many times and I really need a group where I can be myself - someone struggling to lose weight

I maintained by weight for nearly 7 years but due to a number of reasons I've gained 12lbs

I've lost around 4lbs by myself but have gone back for accountability

I'm back at the gym and having PT twice a week as well because working out helps me more mentally then physically
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I just did a calorie calculator, and using my current stats age 40, or the exact same thing age 25 gives a 100 calorie difference for maintaining weight.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I'm in and will be concentrating on low carb/high fat as that's worked best for me in the past for weight loss and mood, etc.. My biggest challenge is food to take to work.

Dizzy, I'd actually be more motivated by a leader who was struggling along with me. But I've never joined a weight loss group, so what do I know. :)
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

Oh they know I'm struggling as I've told all my members I've gone back to group

It's just so difficult going to group as a member yourself when they know you're a consultant as they definitely great you differently

Bit like a teacher sitting in one of their own classes to learn
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

FiveO'Clock wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:02 pm I'm in and will be concentrating on low carb/high fat as that's worked best for me in the past for weight loss and mood, etc.. My biggest challenge is food to take to work.
When I’m working in the office I take picky bits such as mozzarella, Italian or Spanish sliced ham/salami, olives, tomato and avocado plus a little pot of olive oil.
Luna

Post by Luna »

My mum's corker today was
'you're looking very wide. Have you got a lot of layers on?'
:uhh:
Of course I said yes :mad:
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

nineseven wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:14 pm
FiveO'Clock wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:02 pm I'm in and will be concentrating on low carb/high fat as that's worked best for me in the past for weight loss and mood, etc.. My biggest challenge is food to take to work.
When I’m working in the office I take picky bits such as mozzarella, Italian or Spanish sliced ham/salami, olives, tomato and avocado plus a little pot of olive oil.
That's a great idea and ticks all the boxes. Thank you!
maya

Post by maya »

I’m glad it’s not just me (!) re.age and difficulty :granny:

1200 cals seems to be the sweet spot to lose anything and if I eat them all between 11.30am & 7.30pm it feels relatively manageable. I’m going to try that, anyway!