Weight Loss 2020

sally maclennane

Weight Loss 2020

Post by sally maclennane »

Anyone else in?

I have to lose weight for health reasons. I am the heaviest I have ever been and being overweight really affects blood pressure so it's a no brainer*. Also I have loads of clothes that dont fit and I don't want to buy any more.

I am using My Fitness Pal because for me, calorie counting is what works the best. Sadly, it seems there is no magic bullet, its eating less and exercising more.

My big problem is staying motivated, I have tried to lose weight so many times, and often succeeded in the short term but I get bored with it after a while, and I get resentful that I cant eat exactly what I want :ella:

I also struggle with not feeling full which I think contributes to feeling resentful. I need to make sure that I get enough protein to avoid this.

Any feeling-full tips gratefully received :))

*logically this is the case. Unfortunately I am very far from logical when it comes to food :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
smalex

Re: Weight Loss 2020

Post by smalex »

I know some people aren't keen but I cook a lot from those Pinch of Nom or Hairy Dieters books. I find those meals quite satisfying (for general every day stuff).
I need to lose some too. I've gained over christmas and not lost it. I'd like to lose 6lbs as a definite and possibly another 5 or 6 after that (that last 5 or 6 is something I've tried to get to many times, but failed). The exercise isn't a problem, the meals aren't a problem. I need to reward myself with less snacks/treats etc.
I also use MFP and calorie count too. I find it the best for me.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Yep, I'm in since the beginning of this year. My weight, bizarrely, decreased when I was on the pill then shot up when I came off it, so I need to get it down again. I've been going to the gym regularly and, as of two weeks ago, eating low carb/high fat again. It's the only thing I can stick to as my hunger just disappears on it, plus I find the food really delicious and it suits eating out in most places (different strokes for different folks, though).

I'm 5.75lb down so far since Jan 1. Most of that has been in the last two weeks, obviously.
sally maclennane

I like the HD recipes, I need to dig those out again, and I will look at the Pinch of Nom (terrible name!) stuff. I like the BBC recipes too, they have 400/500/600 calories dishes.

Logging what I eat is definitely a motivator for me. I am terrible for snacking and treats too.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I need to log better on MFP. I’m in, like properly in this time.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Pinch of Nom is a terrible name, but I've really liked the recipes in them. I definitely use the BBC website too.

Well done Nine, good start!
sally maclennane

Yes, that's great work, Neuf!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Thanks. I think it has mostly come off my face :lol:
Skips

Post by Skips »

I'll be in as of the 1st February. I also need to lose weight for health (and I'm the heaviest I've ever been), but we need to clear some junk from the freezer (burgers, breaded chicken etc) and I can't bear just chucking it away. I also need to plan better. I think I will go back to MFP as that worked so well for me last time when I lost weight.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Yay me too! I’m also the heaviest ever. Im hovering around 80 kilos, I need to lose at least a 10th of that.

I am also especially in after some silly bitch at a party last weekend came up to me and declared “oh you’re having a baby!”. Note- no I’m not.

I have reduced my fizzy drink consumption considerably this year, am moving as much as possible (for example, walking up the stairs to my flat on the third floor instead of taking the lift, except if I have something heavy or am desperate for a pee) and intermittent fasting.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I'm in. I regained all the weight I lost last year plus some extra, and I am filled with self-loathing.

Calorie counting and tracking foods doesn't work for me - I end up bingeing - so like nine I'm doing LCHF, as I can do that without getting bogged down in weights and measures.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’m sort of in, in that officially NONE of my clothes fit now, so that’s a bit of a pressing issue. I tried intermittent fasting (the 16-8 version) back in Nov-Dec, and I lost about 4.5 lbs in a month, which was cool, but since then I haven’t done anything different at all, and nothing is shifting at all. Ugh, WTF, man.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Sorry for those feeling down about weight, especially for Hazey with the stupid comment and rosy feeling self loathing.

I need to be in. I lost 1.5 stone last year after gaining loads the two years before that. I'm still 5lbs over my BMI "normal" range so I'd like to lose that, then one more stone to get me towards the middle of my normal range. Getting married in the summer is a great motivation as I'd look better slightly slimmer and I've bought my wedding dress just a smidge too small. I can zip it up now but not move or breathe so a few pounds will help that.

I'm also going to count calories on MFP. Once I get into a groove, I'm generally OK and it helps hugely that Mr Coo is counting too so all of our meals are balanced and we're not leading each other astray. My main issue is snacking, I need to find something to have instead or just break the habit.

Good luck, everyone and well done to those already on track this year.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

I've been doing Our Path since December 30th and have lost 7lbs. It's a low carb based plan. Of course I'm now on holiday in the carb centre of the universe so I'm not sure how that will affect my loss.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Actually this would be a good time for me to join in as Mr S has got lots of trips abroad coming up.

Does anyone else find it difficult to lose weight when cooking for other people? Mr S is slim and is also training for a marathon, and our calorie needs are completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Add to that the fact that I am often hungry earlier in the evening but we don’t eat together until 8:30pm and I end up eating twice.

I’ve tried things like slow cooker meals so I eat with the children earlier and he eats later, but it just doesn’t work every day.

I also get too hungry at work then over eat a late lunch.

I’m a mess basically.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I get hungry early in the evening too, whereas S would happily wait until about 8.30 if left to his own devices. The reason for them is is that he eats all day* and never gains any weight, so hunger is not really a thing for him :bite:.

Anyway, we brought the evening meal forward. Fuck eating late :)).

*I’ve had to tell him a couple of times not to wang on about that
sally maclennane

Ella77 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:53 pm I get hungry early in the evening too, whereas S would happily wait until about 8.30 if left to his own devices.
We are the opposite, J would have dinner at 5.30pm, whereas I would wait until 7/7.30pm. Sadly I am not like S in being able to eat all day and never gain weight :sad:
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Squirrel wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:37 pm Actually this would be a good time for me to join in as Mr S has got lots of trips abroad coming up.

Does anyone else find it difficult to lose weight when cooking for other people? Mr S is slim and is also training for a marathon, and our calorie needs are completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Add to that the fact that I am often hungry earlier in the evening but we don’t eat together until 8:30pm and I end up eating twice.

I’ve tried things like slow cooker meals so I eat with the children earlier and he eats later, but it just doesn’t work every day.

I also get too hungry at work then over eat a late lunch.

I’m a mess basically.
It doesn’t help with the timing issue but can you not just give him a double portion?
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I really need to be here too. I’m the heaviest I’ve been in a few years and, like you Ella, the majority of my clothes are now too tight.
maya

Post by maya »

And I’ve been gaining and losing the same 5lbs for 6+ months (currently having regained) and still need to lose another 2-3lbs on top of that. I also had some success with 16:8 last year but it’s not working anymore...has anyone found weight loss post 40 much harder than before without really changing habits? That’s definitely the case for me :mad: