Weight Loss 2020

nineseven

Re: Weight Loss 2020

Post by nineseven »

Ah, balls.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

I know how you feel Marth. It's so hard. I've had weeks where I have done absolutely everything right and lost nothing and it feels so unfair and frustrating.

Fingers crossed the scales start to move soon for you.

I read an excellent post on another forum about how starting exercise can actually make you hold on to weight for up to six weeks (:cry:) because of water retention and an increase in blood volume. I wonder if maybe certain medications might have a similar effect?
Last edited by Mayday on Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Marth wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:52 pm I was so desperate to lose some weight and right now have the willpower, but that's not enough just now it seems.
It's so bloody disheartening when that happens. Hopefully it'll be one of those unexplained times where you don't lose weight for what seems like forever, then drop 3lbs in one day.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

When I've dieted before I've often shed half a stone in the first two weeks then stall for six weeks. It's incredibly frustrating.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

nineseven wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:04 pm When I've dieted before I've often shed half a stone in the first two weeks then stall for six weeks. It's incredibly frustrating.
Same as you, Nine. I’ve always had a good initial loss and then nothing more has come off.

Now, I am the reverse, similar to Marth. I’m eating carefully (bar a hormonal related binge on this weekend) so I started Intermittent Fasting (16:8) to kick start my metabolism. I’ve taken off the two lbs that I’ve gained recently so :fc: for a bit more.
maya

Post by maya »

That is frustrating, Marth. I think this has been discussed before but sometimes taking a day or two completely off the diet and eating whatever I like (ie. lots more calories) helps move the plateau...it really has worked in the past!

I’m quite enjoying the intermittent fasting as it prevents me from overeating/snacking all day. I’m now just under 3lbs off goal but expect every ounce to be a struggle...
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

maya wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:39 pm That is frustrating, Marth. I think this has been discussed before but sometimes taking a day or two completely off the diet and eating whatever I like (ie. lots more calories) helps move the plateau...it really has worked in the past!
It's worked for me too.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

:rebs: :yummeh: :yummeh: I've planned this in for Friday as I'm meeting friends for a joint birthday thing with street food
Malan
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've shifted my weigh in day to a Friday and have lost 2.5 lbs this week which I am very pleased about. 5.5 lbs in total so far, so heading in the right direction. I've also noticeably lost some of the puffiness round my face which is nice.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Some good positive outcomes!
Since June I've lost 2.5kg which now puts a little ahead before lockdown. It's been a combination of intermittent fasting/logging food and moving more.
My knee is on the mend so starting to walk more. On MFP they have monthly walking challenges which are good. I'm now hitting 6000 per day, next target is 9000 and then 11000.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

That's really good, Flora and Wiggle. It's so good when you can see the difference. A friend I haven't seen for months said I looked fit yesterday (as in healthy fit lol) and that was a boost to hear.

I've lost half a pound, so I'm going to try and get another pound off before I go on holiday on Saturday. I'll then be two pounds from target which I will try and maintain when I'm away.
Malan
Skips

Post by Skips »

Well done Marth, I love a non scale victory!
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I am envious of those who are seeing a return on their diet investment, but good for you all :)).

I have been doing intermittent fasting for 2 weeks, with not a lot to show for it yet. I'm not really following a food plan as far as intake goes, but am eating between 12 noon and 8.00pm. A typical day would be 'breakfast' at 12 consisting of Fruit and Fibre or similar bran-based cereal with semi-skimmed milk, a yoghurt and maybe a bread product such as a teacake or toast. Then lunch/dinner at about 7.00, which could be pretty much anything - yesterday it was Quorn carbonara (home made) and a couple of scoops of ice cream for pudding. Drinks were coffee with breakfast, a few swigs of sugar-free flavoured water throughout the day, and most of a bottle of alcohol free wine (180kc) on the phone to my sister last night. No snacks.

The content has varied day to day, but that would be a typical amount and range of food. I had a takeaway curry last weekend, and whilst I didn't deliberately choose a low-fat one, I skipped the naan and made the curry last two meals by saving half for lunch/dinner the next day. Do I need to be doing more careful planning of 'diet' foods? The article I read about IF said that you can eat 'normally' as long as it is all during the allowed hours, but that seems a bit counter-intuitive, although more sustainable in the long run.

I read online about people adding in ketones with good results, but I don't have much idea about that. I can find out about it if it would help, but I'm a bit wary about messing about with one regime by introducing a different one in case they work against one another. I am getting very little exercise because of lockdown, and my thyroid issues (and horrible drugs) are possibly adding to the weight gain, but I really need to get on top of things before they get any worse - I reckon I am a stone and a half overweight, and I don't like it at all.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Morganna wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:15 pm Do I need to be doing more careful planning of 'diet' foods?
Maybe - that's a large breakfast so it might be an easy place to cut back. :look: I'd guess that cereal + milk, a yoghurt and bread product + butter/spread is at least 600 calories.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Yes, I suppose it is. I'm hungry by 12.00, though :)). What would be a good way to get from 12.00 to 7.00ish without dying of starvation?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

IF itself does have benefits regarding insulin levels, reducing inflammation etc BUT the only way it works from a weight loss perspective is if you're eating fewer calories than your body's energy output requires. It's a tool to make that easier as your eating time is restricted but that's it.

Ketones only come into it if you're eating keto/atkins style (ie very low carb) - your liver produces them AFAIK and people doing that kind of diet often test for their presence in urine to test whether their body is burning fat, so I'm not sure how you'd add them in to your diet? Or if they'd be that beneficial as an additive by themselves?

The tedious yet inescapable truth of it all is that its a maths equation - calories in lower than calories expended = weight loss.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Your food seems very carb and sugar heavy Morgs, and would make me starving! I find protein and fats last me much longer.

(I too am back on the bandwagon, having eaten my way through lockdown.)
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

I have been really focussing on my food intake as well as intermittent fasting. I'm aiming for a slight calorie deficit coupled with moving more. It seems to be working and next week I am planning on increasing my protein intake.
For breakfast i do like overnight oats or eggs with avocado which fills me.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Sugar is definitely my downfall. I was brought up on the stuff, and it sneaks into so many foods that I find it really difficult to eliminate.

I don't know anything about ketones, other than when browsing around IF I read that some people combine the two approaches and say it works for them. I'll ignore the idea, though. Right. I will think about protein more and find ways to incorporate that, thanks. I am planning to roast a chicken this afternoon, so will have something chicken-based as my main meal tonight. I don't know if a chicken salad would see me through until noon tomorrow, though. I sometimes have a mushroom omelette or similar for breakfast. Maybe that would be better than cereal and toast.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Egg-based breakfasts are definitely more satiating than bready/cereal ones, as are breakfasts with healthy dietary fats (avocado etc).
If you’re eating yogurt make sure it’s full fat Greek with no sugar, as that’s higher in protein and again more satiating, and make your fruits berry based as they’re lower in sugar.