February Fitness

Wiggle

Re: February Fitness

Post by Wiggle »

That's amazing Tex!

I had a gentle session with my PT tonight. I am still in some degree of discomfort so we worked on activation and stretching. Cycling is off the list for the moment as is my attempt at running a 5k. I can do rowing so we will plan my work outs around this for the next few months.
smalex

Post by smalex »

45mins yesterday afternoon. 15 mins easy, 15 steady 15 threshold. Whatever those are meant to mean :look:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I hope things aren't too bad, Wiggle. Take it easy!

Your training methods seem much more traininglike than mine are, Smal. :lol:
smalex

Post by smalex »

Aren't you following a plan? I like a plan, otherwise I dawdle and go slower and slower. So Runners World are telling me what to do!
It's all time/effort based (45 mins at a 'threshold' effort, for instance) though rather than distance/split time based (4 miles at 9:30/mi splits) which I'm finding a bit weird, I've only ever done the latter before.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

You're doing so well Tex.

Welcome newbies and returners 😀

Usual for me - race on Sunday

yoga Monday - farty woman properly let rip at the end of the class which had me in hysterics.
Easy 50 min run yesterday

My Garmin has an interactive training coach on there so I'm doing the half marathon plan for a certain time target. My watch generates training like yesterday's easy 50, bleeps to keep me on pace and counts down my warm up/cool down etc.

Tonight is a progressive run - easy 20 mins and a hard paced 10 mins.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

It looks like a good plan, not one that I would be likely to be able to keep up with at the moment though. :mrgreen:

I'm not really following anything as structured as you are.

I'm doing short runs in the week, plus increasing hill reps (these only began last week) and then a long run when I'm not with H of a weekend. The long runs will slowly increase in distance until I hit just shy of marathon distance for my marathon in May, and then continue on and upwards at an even slower rate toward the ultra distance for August.

I guess we're looking at different disciplines though now that I think about it. The ultra is about getting it done and nothing else - I think the cut off time is something like 20 hours for it, so pace isn't going to be a thing for me. :lol:
smalex

Post by smalex »

TBF, it sounds more or less like the plan I'm doing really. There's a pacier run/hill reps in the week, couple of recovery runs just banging out a medium amount of miles, then a more pacy run on a saturday and the real distance run on a sunday, gradually all increasing in distance until race day. I'm following the 4:30 version but just so I've got something to aim for, I doubt I'll actually achieve that time.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Ah, it is similar then I suppose, which is kind of good to know that I am on the right track.

4:30 would be amazing though! The course record for mine is somewhere just under 8 hours, and that is the only time anybody has ever gone under 8 hours on the course. I won't be trying to match that. :lol:
smalex

Post by smalex »

For the marathon or the ultra??

According to marathon calculators, based on my PBs, I should be aiming for something just over 4hrs :lol: . I can't imagine it'l be anywhere even near that.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Actually, I just checked that and the ultra has a 14 hour cut off and the marathon doesn't have one, but it is actually happening in April. Fucking hell! :lol:

You are fast though, I reckon sub 4:30 is well acheievable, depending on the weather and the terrain of course.
smalex

Post by smalex »

:lol: Which marathon is it?!
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

To be honest, it's nothing as horrendous or serious as the one you are taking on. It's a walking/running marathon around Bath called the Bath Beat. I mean, it's still 26 miles and there are (obviously) hideous inclines, but it seems very relaxed and you can start when you like and finish when you like.

There are five of us from the group trying to do it seriously, but equally there are another four who are planning to absolutely hammer the first 16 miles so that they can spend the last 8 miles stopping off in the various country pubs that the route will pass.

It'll be fine, I'm sure. :look:
Luce

Post by Luce »

You lot are nails. I won't tell you my friend's plan for his marathon because it's actually insane and I think he might need a gentle word about calming down a bit.

I also hope you've all signed up for the I.lkley H.alf Marathon, by now ;)

I cancelled my body pump this morning and feel shit about it. I'm a bit under the weather and a lot hormonal and just cancelled it in a fit of pique which is stupid because I would have felt so much better for doing it :lg:

Still, spin tomorrow (if I get to the top of the waiting list) which I think might sort me right out.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I went to spin last night, it was bloody hard going but I was glad I went. I used to go this class quite a lot but have been doing yoga on a Tuesday recently and I need to decide which to do. There are other options for spin whereas the other yoga classes don't really work for me.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
smalex

Post by smalex »

40mins tonight. I was so slow. Its a bit annoying really.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

Well done, Tex!

I reckon you’ll do 4 hours, Smal :expert:

TC, that’s what appeals to me about ultras - how relaxed they are and pace really not mattering (unless you’re like an elite ultra runner obvs).

Slow club run for me last night. Too slow, really, but there’s rarely a group between 10mm (tempo for me) and 11:30-12mm (too slow for a short run). So I went for the slow option as I’ve been achey, and I’m glad I did as my stomach played up also.

Pip, do you have to catch up the missed ones? I hope that won’t make you stop enjoying it.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Marathon training sounds like it’s going well, Smal. I might have a look at that training plan. I need to sign up for a half so I’ve got something to motivate me to do more than yoga :lol:

SB and I are still doing our 30 days with Adriene and I’m enjoying it. It’s a nice chill out after work. I’m wfh today so I might have a look at a running app and get out for a run. Next week I’m starting back at my programme in the gym. I’m toying with buying a years access to the app for $120 but it feels like a lot of money all at once. It’s half the price of a monthly subscription though.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I should technically make up the workouts to complete the challenge and get a finisher prize, but not sure I can face it now I have cystitis too. I might try at some point, can’t commit now.

I’m trying to decide if I should cancel my classes on Friday, I have to give at least 4 hours notice so I can wait until tomorrow night.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

24km in and back home today on the bike.

Pip don't be too hard on yourself.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I wouldn't be exercising with cystitis either Pip.

That race sounds fun TC... definitely a good pit stop to your crazy ultra plans!