The "Do I have COVID-19?" thread

Mountain Goat

Re: The "Do I have COVID-19?" thread

Post by Mountain Goat »

I agree but I was off for weeks back in March / April with "it" and working part time, on and off, through to Jan because of getting tired so easily / suspected long covid. So now I'm the person who's had this, with zero proof, for best part of a year. I do work for myself and everyone is fine so far but I do start to look like a fantasist by this point, I fear. But it's real, whatever it is.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

And ( rude!) thank you for being kind.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Mountain Goat wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:47 pm
I believe I had it before in March/April - is it possible my immune system has kicked in to boot it out this time but left me shattered? I don't know how it even works or if that is physically possible. I just know I'm no more capable of a day's work than I was yesterday but have lost legitimacy and look like a hypochondriac malingerer. :ruby:
That seems utterly plausible to me. I rarely catch things properly but am quite often hit by exhaustion and just general under-the-weatherness which I'm sure at least some of the time is my immune system fighting off whatever's going around. And, either way, it sounds like you've had a horrible COVID year (and yes, yes, I know so many other people will have had it worse) and you don't need to be giving yourself a hard time and second guessing how you feel.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks Montana. It feels like it makes logical sense to me but I have no idea if that's how bodies work, or whether that would show up as negative. It has been horrible but I'm lucky to be able to take time to rest and not have work/children/other dependents that it's impossible to take time off from.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’ve booked a test for tomorrow. I’ve had to lie and say I’ve got a cough in order to be eligible for a test - I don’t have a bad cough but I feel really ropey in that “coming down with something” sort of way and have got a headache and dry throat. I read a FB thread earlier with people saying they had these symptoms rather than the temperature or cough.

I feel like I need to know one way or the other, I don’t want to waste a test (two tests as Mr S will get one as well) but at the same time I can’t be swanning round the supermarket thinking “it’s just a cold” whilst breathing killer virus on everyone.

I’m feeling a bit :panic:. I hope the results are quick.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Good luck, Squirrel! It feels strange when it is so close to home, and your turn to take a test.

The cough thing is misleading now I think - quite a few of the new strains have different symptoms. They should update the guidance.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I think it’s entirely justifiable and responsible of you Squirrel
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I really need to stay calm and not panic. Which is not my forte. It’s not the worst timing if it has to happen at all, in terms of isolating. I’ve been terrified about getting ill but what will be will be.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I also lied to get a test as I didn’t have any of the main 3 symptoms. You’re doing the right thing.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Tests aren't in short supply and we should definitely be erring on the side of caution. You're totally doing the right thing. I hope you get a swift negative and feel better soon.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

You’re absolutely doing the right thing in getting tested, Squirrel. I didn’t have a cough or temperature initially and it started with feeling ropey too.

Fingers crossed it comes back negative and quickly!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Loralei wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:17 am Tests aren't in short supply and we should definitely be erring on the side of caution. You're totally doing the right thing. I hope you get a swift negative and feel better soon.
100% agree. I am having twice weekly tests at the moment - through work - even though I have no symptoms, have already had it, and never really come within 2 metres of anyone I don't live with.

I was the only person in my house who had any of the three symptoms you're supposed to have, and yet we were all positive. Only one of the people I know had a cough. I really think they need to expand the list of symptoms you can get a test for.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Did Tim Spector not say that a headache is the most common symptom? 60% of people having one seems to stick in my head. Anyway the symptom study app has identified very clearly that testing based on the 3 main symptoms is not enough. Good luck Squirrel.
smalex

Post by smalex »

My vaccine study asks me to tell them if I've got any of the big three or any two (in 24-48hrs I think) of about 8 or 10 other symptoms (all quite vague things like tiredness, muscle ache, headache, runny nose, etc) which seems like quite a sensible way of looking at it (at which point they'd covid test me).
Hope your test is negative Squizz. I feel paranoid because my surge test result hasn't come back but Ss has. Although I don't know why I think they'd take longer to tell someone theyre positive? :))
rosy

Post by rosy »

Good luck, Squizz!
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Thank you all. We have been swabbed.

Mr S’s relentless optimism is grating on me. Whilst I also hope we can go out tomorrow, we can’t assume one way or the other and I’d rather not get the children’s hopes up.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

smalex wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:29 am My vaccine study asks me to tell them if I've got any of the big three or any two (in 24-48hrs I think) of about 8 or 10 other symptoms (all quite vague things like tiredness, muscle ache, headache, runny nose, etc) which seems like quite a sensible way of looking at it
Yes this sounds like a much better way of doing it.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

They are really vague though, I have a runny nose quite often, and it would not be unusual to have a headache and tiredness at the same time. I'd be testing every week in that case.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Squirrel wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:09 pm Thank you all. We have been swabbed.

Mr S’s relentless optimism is grating on me. Whilst I also hope we can go out tomorrow, we can’t assume one way or the other and I’d rather not get the children’s hopes up.
This would be me too - happy surprises are way better than disappointment, especially for children :shrug:

Good luck for negative results :fc:
smalex

Post by smalex »

sally maclennane wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:11 pm They are really vague though, I have a runny nose quite often, and it would not be unusual to have a headache and tiredness at the same time. I'd be testing every week in that case.
Tbf I think it says 'fatigue' rather than tiredness which is probably subtly different, but I do agree its vague and could mean are vert frequently getting tested, I get a headache at least once a week, and getting one every day for a spate isn't at all unusual. Its just how I am. I guess its just having some awareness that other symptoms can be a signal of covid other than the big 3.

I'd be the same re the kids Squizz!