July fitness

Topcat

Re: July fitness

Post by Topcat »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:48 pm :fc: it’s nothing serious. If the hills near you are like here you have my deepest sympathy.
Yeah, it's totally nothing serious unless it's another new one... I'm very comfortable that it isn't though.

I'm not sure if you would ever have cause to have driven through my neck of the woods but it may be even hillier (on the roads, it's closer off road) than where you are. I'm embracing it whilst I'm rebuilding, because I know how much I despise them when I'm closer to full strength.

I'm hoping like mad it'll help out in the long run. :lol:

You're still absolutely flying though, I'll let you know when I'm back on the trails out your way! :))
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

They (some coach or other) say that “hill work is speed work I disguise”, TC, so keep on at a steady/manageable rate and you’ll be there before you know it.

I’ve managed to run twice today - 11 miles in total. The second one was a (mini) club group run that was sprung on me after I’d done my morning miles.

I ache a lot BUT a) I’m having a rest day :perky: tomorrow, and b) a sports massage on Friday. Our guy has started up again now that he’s able to, and I really, really need one :emme:
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Topcat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:55 pm
Texaco Shirley wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:48 pm :fc: it’s nothing serious. If the hills near you are like here you have my deepest sympathy.
Yeah, it's totally nothing serious unless it's another new one... I'm very comfortable that it isn't though.

I'm not sure if you would ever have cause to have driven through my neck of the woods but it may be even hillier (on the roads, it's closer off road) than where you are. I'm embracing it whilst I'm rebuilding, because I know how much I despise them when I'm closer to full strength.

I'm hoping like mad it'll help out in the long run. :lol:

You're still absolutely flying though, I'll let you know when I'm back on the trails out your way! :))
Closest I’ve got to yours is sitting in a field picking a lock to get to a geocache :))
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Good running guys. My sports massage lady isn't back yet but I'm thinking I ma book a tweaking and needle session with the physio for now.

16.5km on the bike this morning. It was a bit damp but enjoyable.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

6km walk tonight
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

just did 7.5 miles on hills and trails. Felt better than the short run I did earlier in the week, but turned out to be quite slow. Also knee started niggling again on the long downhill home - more uncomfortable than painful but I could have done without it. It's not really been present on the last few runs so I thought it had gone away, but it seems not. Boo.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I long for the days of seven and a half miles!

I did another four today which was bloody hard work in that heat but it was pain free. Slow and pain free, I'll take that right now.

Now to do my three mile loop tomorrow and then rest up until Monday, whilst deciding how much to extend next weeks runs by.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

We’ve done a couple of walks this week but not hugely far. A nice wander round a reservoir, and another at Calke.

This morning I’ve done a very humid & sweaty HIIT descending pyramid for time, and followed it with core blast Pilates. 15 minutes of each.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I did another three mile loop yesterday, it was fine but the heat did get to me towards the end again.

I'm going to up Mondays run to five, then do a four and two three's. I think to up it to top fives may be too much this week.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

We planned a farm shop cafe lunch today so I rashly decided to run and meet MrTex and the boys there. 9km with a bit of a walk on a couple of hills when the sun came out and the heat finished me off. Reasonable overall pace though.
Last edited by Texaco Shirley on Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

That was a cracking run!

That lunch looked tremendous as well, I am going to go there as soon as I am able.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Thanks. It was a pretty amazing ploughman’s and they were handling the social distancing well.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That looked like an epic and well deserved Ploughmans!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

More HIIT in the garden this morning, it was a 15 minute AMRAP so I followed it up with some more Pilates.
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

What exercises do you do in your HIIT, Pip?

10.5 miles this morning. It was sunny and I was starting to get quite hot by the end, but I really pushed myself up the last hill. There was a bad moment where I felt I might actually puke, but it passed. Dodgy knee niggled and then didn't, which is interesting (to me). I'm thinking of maybe trying to drop 3-4 lb and seeing if that makes a difference.

Ear worms: Hokey Cokey (1st 3 miles), Is She Weird - Pixies (next 6 miles: and just the chorus too: "is she WEIRD is she WHITE is she promised to the NIGHT, and her HEAD has no ROOM"...repeat ad infinitum). And then just my own ragged wheezing for the last mile or so, which was a nice break.
geek_kitten

Post by geek_kitten »

Rest day here after week one of my new program. Hill sprints are the devil's work! On the plus side my 12kg kettlebell is starting to feel too light for cleans and presses, and I'm finally getting the hang of high pulls.

I miss pads and bagwork and sparring so much still 😭
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

They vary, I’m in a Facebook group my Pilates teacher runs and she sets 2 HIIT & 1 Pilates workout per week.

This was this morning. I won’t leave it up because obviously it’s her livelihood.
Last edited by Pippedydeadeye on Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

That's cool! Thanks Pip. I like the sound of being in a group for motivation. I used to do interval training at home but I got out of the habit of it. I even got R to make me a box just for box jumps, which then just slowly mouldered in the garden for years.

My gym will be opening again in August and I'm trying to think about the best way to use it - it looks like there will be time slots and lots of other rules, so I want to get some sort of routine straight in my head. I think I'll still keep yoga a couple of times a week which I would do at home, but I want to bring some weight training back in and maybe the dreadmill for some speed work.
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

geek_kitten wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:20 am I'm finally getting the hang of high pulls.
Fair play! High pulls are hard, which is maybe why I can't clean well either - though weirdly I find kettlebells easier than a bar.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Penny Century wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:09 pm That's cool! Thanks Pip. I like the sound of being in a group for motivation. I used to do interval training at home but I got out of the habit of it. I even got R to make me a box just for box jumps, which then just slowly mouldered in the garden for years.
If you’re interested,J’s group is great. It’s £20/month and she had people from all over the world doing it, as well as those who do her in person classes. It has a nicely competitive edge to it but we also encourage each other.

She does KB stuff too. C is just doing one of her weights workouts now.