Vaccine (Good) News

Glint

Re: Vaccine (Good) News

Post by Glint »

I was 2nd jagged yesterday, and so far, am feeling okay with it

Mr G is away this morning and I'm interested to see if he has any reaction this time.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Jack has his first jab on Saturday. He seems quite keen to get it done, but I'll be ready to reschedule his appointment if he gets too anxious closer to the time.
mischief

Post by mischief »

My youngest son (25) has his second this Saturday so that is all my immediate family done. Excellent timing as we are all getting together on Sunday which will be the first time since Christmas 2019 x
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Was the Nightingale Hospital all weird and empty :look:?
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

mischief wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:43 pm My youngest son (25) has his second this Saturday so that is all my immediate family done. Excellent timing as we are all getting together on Sunday which will be the first time since Christmas 2019 x
That’s great news mischief, both the family being done and also your big get together!

I had my second jab on Sunday, Pfizer and again just a sore arm for 24 hours. And same as last time, it’s worth mentioning I had more pain for longer from the normal flu jab that I got in February. I was the last adult in my family, and I’m so pleased that’s me now.

@pregnantthenscrewed and @VikilovesFACS on Twitter have been doing brilliant work on sharing research for pregnant women while the healthcare field is still so full of misinformation and a LOT of bias from HCPs based on their own views (in both directions, although from what I’ve seen it’s far more towards scaremongering). If it’s of use to anyone who knows someone on the fence due to pregnancy, this is a great one pager with a web address to the studies it’s based on:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Gosh, that does sound eerie.

I like this article (because it's quite reassuring). Emphasis mine.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... me/619726/

Full vaccination (with the mRNA vaccines, at least) is about 88 percent effective at preventing symptomatic disease caused by Delta. Breakthrough infections are possible but affect only 0.01 to 0.29 percent of fully vaccinated people, according to data from the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Breakthroughs might seem common—0.29 percent of 166 million fully vaccinated Americans still means almost 500,000 breakthroughs—but they are relatively rare. And though they might feel miserable, they are much milder than equivalent infections in unvaccinated people: Full vaccination is 96 percent effective at preventing hospitalizations from Delta, and unvaccinated people make up more than 95 percent of COVID-19 patients in American hospital beds. The vaccines are working, and working well. Vaccinated people are indisputably safer than unvaccinated people.

But although vaccinated individuals are well protected, highly vaccinated communities can still be vulnerable, for three reasons. First, unvaccinated people aren’t randomly distributed. Instead, they tend to be geographically clustered and socially connected, creating vulnerable pockets that Delta can assault.
Cazza

Post by Cazza »

I had my 2nd jab (Moderna) last Friday and I was floored on Saturday. My arm/shoulder/armpit were quite painful and I couldn't raise my arm at all. Temperature, shivery, zero energy but the weirdest thing was sore skin. Even pulling down my pants to wee was like the material was scratching my skin (soz, if TMI).

All done now though which is the important thing :-)
Luce

Post by Luce »

Your last highlighted bit, Ella - I'd never really put two and two together but that makes so much sense.
Little My

Post by Little My »

It does make sense. Sadly the area I'm moving to has very low uptake. Ugh! (At least the kids don't go to school there.)

But in good news.. My 11 year old just got Pfizer! It opened up today and we snagged the last appointment for the afternoon. :mrgreen:
Disco

Post by Disco »

Hurrah! And my 17 year old can go to a walk in on Saturday for his first dose. I'm taking him at 8am.
smalex

Post by smalex »

11! That's amazing. I wish so hard they'd do kids (even though W isn't 11 for 6 months). He's asked several times when he's getting his vaccine :puppy:

Bea S had no symptoms with moderna at all except a very dead arm so fingers crossed for you!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

The SAM is 16 in September so I'm going to get him jabbed asap. I told him he could get jabbed for his birthday and he was very unimpressed. :mog:
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Youngest was 16 last week so I’m getting her jabbed as soon as she is allowed. Unfortunately she has to wait 28 days from her positive Covid test, but it will be nice knowing we are all done, and she will hopefully have immunity from some of the other variants then.
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

Hobbes wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:52 am Youngest was 16 last week so I’m getting her jabbed as soon as she is allowed. Unfortunately she has to wait 28 days from her positive Covid test, but it will be nice knowing we are all done, and she will hopefully have immunity from some of the other variants then.
That’s exactly the same for us (apart from MissA being 17) but at least they are both unlikely to catch it or a different variant again before they can be jabbed as it appears that the Delta variant is the one everyone is currently catching.

Hope your Youngest is feeling well again now?
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Arrietty wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:29 am
Hobbes wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:52 am Youngest was 16 last week so I’m getting her jabbed as soon as she is allowed. Unfortunately she has to wait 28 days from her positive Covid test, but it will be nice knowing we are all done, and she will hopefully have immunity from some of the other variants then.
That’s exactly the same for us (apart from MissA being 17) but at least they are both unlikely to catch it or a different variant again before they can be jabbed as it appears that the Delta variant is the one everyone is currently catching.

Hope your Youngest is feeling well again now?
Youngest had no symptoms other than losing her sense of smell and taste, which is back now, she was very lucky!

Hope MissA is feeling better now too? As you said, it’s likely they have caught the Delta variant, which appears to be the main one doing the rounds, so hopefully they will be ok for a bit.
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

MissA still can't smell or taste anything but her cough is much improved. Other than that, she is fine. She has actually got dressed today for the first time since we went for our PCR tests! :lol:
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Are 16 and 17 year olds allowed to book now? The booking system still says no but is it worth trying (youngest has just turned 17).
Disco

Post by Disco »

You can’t book online unless three months until 18 at the moment but look out for local walk in announcements. A health centre in the next town is doing walk ins tomorrow so I’m taking monk.
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

A centre near here is doing walk-ins fror 16-17 year olds, but they don't seem to be advertising that fact yet.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Ooh ok thanks. Will keep an eye out as you suggest.