Vaccine (Good) News

H1ppychick

Re: Vaccine (Good) News

Post by H1ppychick »

I’m a bit grumpy that my 80 year old diabetic mum hasn’t heard anything yet, if 70-somethings with no health conditions are getting it already.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

It must depend on your local authority, or even which GP you are registered with within the LA.
smalex

Post by smalex »

There's going to be a lot of variation between areas i think. Some areas must have much higher concentrations of elderly residents I'd imagine and other logistical advantages/disadvantages will play out
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Thanks Epp, that's heartening to read.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Yes I’ve been wondering about my stepgran who lives in sheltered accommodation and is 93 and still able to get out and about, but I’m sure there’s a good reason why she hasn’t heard just yet. I’m expecting that either she or my stepsister in London who is a Doctor due back on the Covid ward soon will be the first people I know.

If Teasel wants to tell the story again about overhearing people being phoned to book their vaccination I would sit comfortably and listen :love2: Ditto Fig and the day of vaccinations. I mean, I know that’s the whole story but it gave me such a warm feeling to read about.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

My mum (81) had hers 17 December and is currently booked for jab 2 on 7 January. Fingers crossed
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

H1ppychick wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:53 pm I’m a bit grumpy that my 80 year old diabetic mum hasn’t heard anything yet, if 70-somethings with no health conditions are getting it already.
I feel similar for my 81 year old COPD mum who hasn't heard anything, when lots of my friends parents have had their jabs already in different areas.

It's such an anxious time as I am desperate for her to have it.
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Marth wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:28 am
H1ppychick wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:53 pm I’m a bit grumpy that my 80 year old diabetic mum hasn’t heard anything yet, if 70-somethings with no health conditions are getting it already.
I feel similar for my 81 year old COPD mum who hasn't heard anything, when lots of my friends parents have had their jabs already in different areas.

It's such an anxious time as I am desperate for her to have it.
Oops. Sorry, Smal. I just realised it's a happy thread :))
Malan
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

Just to say on those waiting to hear - lots of places have not started vaccinating yet and hopefully more will start in the new year. Not all GP surgeries will be administering the vaccine though, they will be organised via local public health in that case I think.

What you can do if you've got an older relative or friend is to get them to make sure their contact details with their GP are up to date and add a mobile number if they have one. I know mobile isn't the best way to get hold of this group of people but the logistics are such that it's the quickest way. Practices are only getting a little bit of notice of confirmed vaccine delivery.
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

Leap wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:58 pmIf Teasel wants to tell the story again about overhearing people being phoned to book their vaccination I would sit comfortably and listen :love2: Ditto Fig and the day of vaccinations. I mean, I know that’s the whole story but it gave me such a warm feeling to read about.
That is pretty much the whole story :)) I know the practice I work for are working really hard to get our eligible patients in. Our reception and admin teams will be working through lists, ringing patients and offering them appointments as soon as we've got confirmation of vaccine delivery.

In most areas it will be groups of practices who already work together on other things coming together to get the vaccines done. It really was amazing to see staff from all 4 practices working together when I went yesterday as well as the local fire brigade outside marshaling for us :love2:
Marth

Post by Marth »

Teasel wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:14 am

In most areas it will be groups of practices who already work together on other things coming together to get the vaccines done. It really was amazing to see staff from all 4 practices working together when I went yesterday as well as the local fire brigade outside marshaling for us :love2:
That's so lovely. I am terribly emotional about all this :(
Malan
Luce

Post by Luce »

3 of our local practices are working together and they’ve had to say no more volunteers please because of how many they’ve got!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

My grandma (93) has a phone call about her vaccine (?) scheduled for January 4th. Presumably an appointment to give her an appointment? I'm surprised she hasn't had it already but despite her age she miraculously has no health conditions at all.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Thank you Teasel! It is the best news.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

It's going slowly over here so I've not heard of anyone even remotely linked to me who's had it. Apparently they have to go to the care homes etc, have a consultation with each patient / their decision maker, get consent, and then wait 5 days for them to have time to fully consider their decision. Then, the vaccine used here comes in a vial of 5 doses, so they need to have a multiple of 5 people in the same place, who consented 5 days ago and haven't changed their minds. I've never heard of this delay for any other vaccine so I suppose they're trying to work against the anti-vacc feeling somehow.
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

Luce wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:16 am 3 of our local practices are working together and they’ve had to say no more volunteers please because of how many they’ve got!
This is so lovely!
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I spoke to my mum’s GP this morning. They are starting on their over 80s W/c Jan 11.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Luce wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:16 am 3 of our local practices are working together and they’ve had to say no more volunteers please because of how many they’ve got!
God, that is such lovely news!

I know my late 80-something year old grandmother has had a call about it to let her know she’s eligible for the vaccine but no idea if Uncle Shouty will take her to get it done or wait for my mum to recover so she can do it. :verm:

My dad turns 75 in a week so I’m hoping he’ll be hearing from the surgery soon. :fc:
Luce

Post by Luce »

It is lovely news (about the collaboration) but I’d wager there are a large number of those volunteers who offered their services because it meant crossing Tiers :)) But still!
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

Several of our closed pubs & restaurants are offering to open up as vaccine centres.