Vaccine (Good) News

Ella77

Re: Vaccine News

Post by Ella77 »

I thought they’d ruled that out a while ago as not being a good idea?
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

My grandma (81) and dad (NHS and extremely vulnerable) have both had round 1. They're booked in for the second and I think both will be upset if that's postponed.
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

Yes I had mine last week! We have been told to postpone all second doses of all vaccines for now (this is national advice so is likely to be the same everywhere). Despite Pfizer saying they don't support this. I think the idea is 50% immunity for lots of people is better than 90+% for half as many. Though there is no evidence about how well it will work with a 12 week gap so it may be that after such a long delay, it never reaches the 90+%. We just don't know as it's never been trialled.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It doesn’t seem like a good idea :panic:.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

It really doesn't. This fucking government!
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Sorry, I've ruined the good news thread. :look:
smalex

Post by smalex »

Could we just have one nice thing :verm:

Perhaps I should have named it something more specifically. Not News. Just updates on people having it. In all seriousness it would be nice to have at least one thread that didn't make you want to stick your head in an oven.
sally maclennane

Re: Vaccine (Good) News

Post by sally maclennane »

I agree, Smal! Let's keep that stuff to the other thread :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

I'm not hearing anything about delay of 2nd dose where I am so :fc:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Oh, KIWI MIDDLENAME SURNAME :drill:
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

:(
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

My neighbour who is a theatre nurse has hers booked for next week. It is exciting.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Two of my dad’s golfing chums have had it. I’m hoping my dad gets called up soon :fc:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

How old is he, Chicky? I’m wondering when the under-80s will start to get them.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

My sister’s husband, who works on a COVID ward has his this week. He will probably have his in two doses (but he lives in the Channel Islands, so not under UK government).
Disco

Post by Disco »

My friend's SIL has just had her first dose today. She's a neonatal nurse and has already been off work for 9 weeks with covid but started back at work last week.

Monk's granny is booked in for her jab and she's not yet 80.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

My sister (nurse) had hers the very first week, and is due to have the next one early Jan, at the moment.

Loving all the vaccine news. Proper light at the end of the tunnel!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:00 pm How old is he, Chicky? I’m wondering when the under-80s will start to get them.
He’s only 72, but his golf buddies are both under 80 (albeit late 70s) and don’t have pre-existing conditions so I’m hopeful.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

My stepgrandparents (both in their 90s, married 67 years on 13 February) had their first dose in the days after the first patient in England had hers. I’m really proud of them
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I can’t remember if I said this here before, but my colleague (medical doctor, decades of experience in pneumonia and respiratory diseases) who does our informal COVID briefings looked at some of the early data on the Pfizer vaccine. He suggested that based on what he saw he was confident that a single dose could provide a high level of protection by 14 days after the first dose. So much so that if he were offered that vaccine he’d take one dose and give the other to his wife (if that were possible). I’m not sure if the same holds for all of the other vaccines that have been approved or on the cusp, I suspect similar data may not yet be published or available.

This is the challenge with real world applications of products that have been tested under narrowband tightly controlled clinical trial conditions (as they should be). And especially with the pace of development of the covid19 vaccines meaning that a lot of longer follow up, implementation feasibility, and probably some other ‘nice to have’ analyses haven’t been done or completed before approval.

Anyway, on topic, I know a couple of healthcare workers here who have received their first dose. And a friend’s sister who is a nurse in Maine, I think, has also had her first dose.