Vaccine (Good) News

Kleio

Re: Vaccine (Good) News

Post by Kleio »

Ahh! I had it my head that it was a one dose shot.

We’ve just had our internet fixed so I’ve planned to let him have a day at his Xbox in case of side effects.
smalex

Post by smalex »

That's great Kleio. Presumably B is just too young?
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Yes it’s 12 and over so unless that changes she won’t get hers until next year.
Luce

Post by Luce »

That’s great, Kleio. Sounds being made about the rest of the 12 year olds getting theirs when school opens back up so I’m crossing everything that that happens! Considering the numbers we get when schools are on, it can’t come soon enough!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

School is already open here, and I get the feeling we & Scotland are being used as a test bed once again. Or hung out to dry, like Leicester was last summer.
Glint

Post by Glint »

Our rates are through the roof. Nicola wants 12+ to be vaccinated if the press are to be believed.

We asked S a few months ago about the vaccine, and he said he'd have it.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Mine won't be given a choice :look:
Glint

Post by Glint »

Yeah, S wouldn't have a choice either. But we were interested in his thoughts. We have currently brain washed him correctly :))
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Luce wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:35 pm Mine won't be given a choice :look:
Nor mine.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

The SAM turns 16 on Thursday and I will be finding a walk-in vax centre as soon as I'm able.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’m not sure that my children would agree to be injected, I would hope that if it’s done at school that would help normalise it like with the flu vaccine where it’s done en masse so you don’t need to make a special trip anywhere and there’s less opportunity for flipping out at the thought of a stranger sticking a needle in you. G once refused the flu vaccine* (up the nose) but he had the most recent one without fuss.

*actually twice, he refused it at school so I booked him in at the GP surgery and when we got there he backed out again :duh:.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I am going to be in a vaccine booster clinical trial! They are investigating the effect of a booster jab in anyone who is fully vaccinated with any vaccine. So you can have had two doses of Pfizer or Moderna or a single J&J, but the booster is only Moderna. I was screened and waitlisted last week and squeaked into the cohort today a someone dropped out.

I am excited for an early booster opportunity (especially as I’m J&J vaccinated) AND to be contributing to the science.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Our Lucy was vaccinated ages ago (she's 15 but spesh) and had to take to her bed with side effects. :look: but then, she quite often does that anyway, as she's a teenager. :)) So, 1. Look out for side effects 2. Look out for shirking teens. :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

Thats great Epp. Tell us how it goes! I'm getting a third shot booster of mine in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed anyway).
Disco

Post by Disco »

Exciting Epp and smal. My parents might be unblinded from their vaccine trial soon once the government announce third boosters. That’s only if they fall into the category for third jabs.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Good to hear of these booster trials!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Disco wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:41 am Exciting Epp and smal. My parents might be unblinded from their vaccine trial soon once the government announce third boosters. That’s only if they fall into the category for third jabs.
So do they know if they've had anything? Or just not know which they've had? I can't remember which trial they're on.
Disco

Post by Disco »

They’ve had a vaccine. Half or full dose of one of any of the uk approved ones OR the meningitis vaccine.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I didn’t realize your rents were in a trial, Sid. It must be difficult if they can’t show proof of vaccination as a result, so unblinding soon is bound to be a relief.

I got the full protocol last night and I was mistaken, looks like they are trialing mixed vaccine boosters (which makes more sense!) in one arm (mine) and then Moderna only three dose courses in the other. So in my arm, whatever you’ve had first time, you could get the same or different as a booster shot. And it also includes an experimental update to the Moderna vaccine to include other known variants, though sadly I don’t think it’s yet modified for the Delta variant.
Disco

Post by Disco »

No they are vaccinated Epp. They had two doses of the Pfizer in Jan and March and now they're on a trial for a third jab which is one of six possible doses of any of the UK approved covid vaccines - a half dose, or a full dose - or no covid vaccine but instead a meningitis vaccine. So one of them might have had a half dose of AZ and the other a full Moderna, or any combination and only if they fall into a category stipluated to receive a third jab will they be unblinded.