Healthy eating 2021

ParisGal

Re: Healthy eating 2021

Post by ParisGal »

Yep, I don't understand at all how people get a grip of where they actually are when trying to change weight, if they only weigh weekly.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I agree on daily weighing. Data is good.

Est, on Happy Scale did you just set your maintenance weight at the top end of your range? I’m thinking of trying to stay within a 5lb range, with my HS line at the top end.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

My maintenance weight is what my original goal was (58kg) I probably should update that.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Will you set it to your maximum maintenance weight or somewhere in the middle of a range?
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ll probably be happiest/most comfortable if I stay below 55kg so should set it there.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I don’t know what’s going on with my hormones this month, but I’m now down 3 stone 3lb/45lb/20.4kg total (I still can’t believe I’m typing numbers like that). I’ve really confused Happy Scale as it thinks I’ve lost 2.75lb in 7 days, but 1.75lb in the last 30 days :george:

Anyway, for the past few days I’ve bumped my calories up to 1700 and I think next week will be at maintenance. I reckon I’ll maintain at 2000ish, maybe a tiny bit below, but I know it can take a while to work out.

How’s your maintenance going, Est? Do you aim for a weekly average calorie level to allow for higher/lower days?
Skips

Post by Skips »

You look incredible, Nine, well done!

I've been playing around the same 2lbs for the past few weeks so I said to J I need to commit to sticking to whatever I do. WW has just launched a new plan, which was timely as it coincided with the day I wanted to get back to it.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, I liked the flexibility of the green plan, but I'll give it a few weeks and see how I get on.
Lola

Post by Lola »

What’s the new plan, Skips?
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Thanks, Skips! It is all about sticking to it long-term. God, they seem to release new plans every few months! (That may be a slight exaggeration.) I hope it works for you.

Well, I have had a larger-than-I-expected whoosh this cycle. I must have been retaining water again. I'm now down 3st 4.75/46.75lb/21.2kg. I've been eating at an average of about 1750 calories all week. Working out my maintenance level is going to be interesting as my body works in such a lag and it can take weeks for losses to reveal themselves.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Everyone has their own points allowance and zero point food lists. You have a new questionnaire to complete and depending on what you answer you get different food lists, so one person might get zero point chicken and seafood and someone else might get chicken and avocado (people seem to be going nuts over being able to have avocado as zero pointed but I went for something else). You still get a small weekly point allowance.

You also get points for eating vegetables (not fruit) and drinking water. I don't quite get the science behind it, but I'll give it a go for a few weeks and see what happens.

If, for instance, you wanted cereal for breakfast a sandwich for lunch and then a burger for dinner you wouldn't have enough daily points to cover it, whereas with the old green plan you could do that.
Lola

Post by Lola »

That sounds a bit bonkers :lol: I’m tempted to do a trial just to see how bonkers it is :))

Yes, my problem was always fitting in what I wanted to eat with their smart point system. A breakfast of full fat yogurt & fruit then a sandwich for lunch & most of my points would be gone. The green plan was at least more flexible as you say and the old pro points with a weekly allowance was so much better & is how I managed to actually lose some weight years ago.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I managed to get a discounted online rate when my free weeks ended so I figured another month is worth trying it for. Bonkers is correct I'll be astounded if I lose weight but I'm going to track my food and maybe I'll be surprised.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

I've been doing WW since June and was quite comfortable with the green plan. This is going to take some getting used to... However, I've got some nice zero points stuff like yoghurt, eggs, chicken and various grains, such as quinoa, buckwheat, rice, spelt and couscous.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Nine, you look amazing! Well done!

I haven't weighed myself in a few months as my scales broke (insert joke of choice) and I am a bit scared to. :ella:
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Thanks Lils!

Gosh, that new WW wouldn't suit me at all. I don't respond well to food lists and being told what to eat. Also, how do they expect people to sustain it forever if they keep changing plans? It's like they're trying to confuse you.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I think I'd be fine being told exactly what to eat, with no choice and no thinking about it. It's the constant math and lists that put me off. Headspace, really.

I do need to start making some sort of meal plan though, because I find not having to go to the shop so often is helpful.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

How are you finding it, Skips?

I had a funny reaction to my changed appearance yesterday. I had a work lunch with someone I haven’t seen for at least two years and she walked up to me at the table looking really confused. Turns out she thought they were taking her to the wrong table as she didn’t recognise me at all! She said I looked completely different* but she couldn’t put her finger on what had changed.

* In a positive way :lol:
Skips

Post by Skips »

It's not great if I'm honest. I think I'll have to go back to calorie counting but see if I can find a way to do a weekly total rather than the same number of calories each day, that's what I liked about WW when I first started; It was more flexible with weekly points. I'm sure I used to be able to do this on myfirnesspal but that was back in the days of yore when they didn't have a pay for part so I don't know if I still can.
Roma

Post by Roma »

Skips, I would recommend NutraCheck for this. You have to pay for it but you can try for free first.

I think I pay around £24 a year for app access so not too bad really. It still calculates a daily total but will give you a week view to see the calories left for the week.

I’ve been using it on and off for the last couple of months as I seem to be maintaining without to much calorie counting at the moment. I may be a bit more strict next year again if I decide to loose a few more kg then.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

I've got used to the new WW system already. I don't find it restrictive at all and it is a great motivation to drink lots of water! I do still prefer the old system though...

I have plateaud at the same weight for weeks now, with -1kg/+1kg on occasion but always settling back at the same weight. Ideally I'd like to lose another 3-5kg but I find winter laziness has also struck...