Testing times - Covid in 2022

overthehill

Re: Testing times - Covid in 2022

Post by overthehill »

Chicky wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:24 pm I saw this and thought of you OTH

Covid: Woman caught virus twice within record 20 days https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61161529
Oh! :uhh: Based on that, I wonder how common this is. The thing is, now that so few people are entitled to PCR tests (here, anyway), how would we ever know?
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Thanks everyone, I'm mainly just so, so, furious at them, and the fact that they'll continue to completely deny it was anything to do with them, and I don't really know how we recover [our relationship] from that, because my Dad has sent some really snippy comments suggesting we've caught it from "one of our irresponsible friends we were taking selfies with on Saturday", as a retaliation to me pointing out it was so irresponsible of them to not test/further refuse to do a test, the absolute cheeky fucking old bastard.

When the crux of it is, my friends are all lovely and respectful of each other and we always do a quick test when there's a few of us getting together to be sure we aren't having a super spreader event. I've spoken to them all since to let them know what's happened and no one else has tested positive, so I'm absolutely sure of the source, given what little we did at the weekend.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I'm sorry, Pov.

My cleaner reckons she had it twice in 2 months.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That sounds so hurtful, Pov.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Jesus, Pov. In solidarity, I had very similar frustrations with my parents refusing to test back in October. They eventually did after lots of terse conversations and tears of frustration (and of course they had Covid) but not before Theo caught it from them, got Covid and we all had to cancel our holidays. The night before. ANY suggestions that they might have been irresponsible or inconsiderate are met with a lot of tension although that is slowly changing now, 6 months later.

Not sure if I’ve mentioned but I HATE what Covid has done to people and their relationships.
Little My

Post by Little My »

That is so callous of them, pov. I'm sorry. If she didn't want to test, she should have been upfront about the symptoms before showing up.

We are a lot less uptight these days (about covid, anyway ;) ), but I suspect we will have a minefield to tread when we visit the UK to see relatives this summer.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

My mum hardly ever does LFTs, she did one on Christmas Day when she was here, as we were doing them, and was a bit eye-rolly about it. She has also maintained on various occasions that she'd "know if she had Covid" :verm:

I'm with you Luce, I hate the impact on relationships too.

I hope you're all OK, Pov. I bet your dad is feeling guilty and it's coming out as defensiveness.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I’m so sorry, Pov, it must feel like an extra slap in the face given you’ve been so cautious because of their health and they’re basically doing fuck all to help themselves or appreciative of your efforts. (Projecting about my own family much? :look: )

My parents insisted it was my sisters boyfriend who had given them covid via his daughter who was at nursery. Neither actually had COVID at point and he and my sister caught it afterwards from my parents. :ruby:

Of course it couldn’t be the endless troop of people that pass through my families houses on a daily basis. :ella:
Princess Morripov

My dad just text saying “just to let you know mum has a bit of a cold but we are still coming if that’s ok with you” and I stupidly assumed they had confirmed that it was just a cold via an LFT beforehand, which is what I always do in the opposite direction if me or one of the boys are a little snotty, as (ha ha!) I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself for infecting my parents when it could have been avoided.

Me and A rarely go anywhere, we still get all our food delivered, I’m at home all the time and A is on his own in the office and we mostly entertain other sensible people at our own house, whereas they flit day to day to another minging garden centre cafe to another covering the length and breadth of the Wirral on a weekly basis, using many public loos, and never wear masks. But I’m the crazy one, guys! 🤪

It’s not even me or A I’m arsed about tbh, obvs feel like crap but it’s manageable, but her trying to write off something as a bit of a cold, turning up in a right state, and then refusing to test is just so selfish as she’s actually made her smallest grandson really quite ill and she really should feel fucking terrible for that but they’ve not even messaged to ask how anyone is. (Can you feel my rage? Old people need to get in the fucking bin, for real)

Shame I’ve blocked my brother on everything too because he is also a dick (thanks covid!) so I have no one else to moan about that to :lol:

TLDR and thanks for the parental solidarity :))
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Princess Morripov wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:54 pm she’s actually made her smallest grandson really quite ill and she really should feel fucking terrible for that but they’ve not even messaged to ask how anyone is.
That's really shitty, I am sorry. I wonder what this phenomenon is all about? Is it as simple as just not wanting to be told what to do by the younger generation?
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I think it is that. An impatience to get back to “real life” and feeling like it’s all over now.

I’m sorry you can’t even moan to your brother Pov.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I think that’s a hefty chunk of it, Ella. My folks are forever sniping about how we think we know better than them these days. :ella:

Feel free to moan away, Pov. I’m sorry you don’t have your brother to moan too as well.
Princess Morripov

I think it’s that too. The 3/4 major idiot behaviour events over the last few months that I’ve called my parents out on, have become even fucking worse and escalated terribly because they cannot accept they are wrong, refuse to back down, try and twist the blame on me and then won’t apologise.

And I’m sure it’s because they hate that the tables are turning, they are doing really fucking stupid things (mostly dishonest/keeping the truth from me/things behind my back) and absolutely will not take any responsibility for their actions.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

“Because I said so” doesn’t really work when your child is 36.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Oh, these impossible parents, seriously. It's maddening.

My mum only tested after I barked the relevant bits of the Zoe symptom list down the phone at her. Particularly HOARSE VOICE.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I’m so sorry Pov. It really is shirts behaviour from them and I didn’t realise you’d stopped talking to your brother too.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Oh Pov, I’m so sorry, it sounds excruciating.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Pov, that sounds so upsetting. I hope you, A and your boys are soon fully well.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I'm sorry Pov, you've been so careful of your parents, they should show the same care back. Even worse that you can't complain to your brother.

My parents have gone completely the other way and upon returning from Chicago, despite wearing masks, having no symptoms and negative covid tests, decided they needed to stay home for a week to make sure they didn't pick it up on the train home. :woteva:
Princess Morripov

Sami is a lot better now but I spent all last night and the night before up with him coughing and crying all night because the coughing hurt so bad (you could hear it was painful) and then because obviously he’s so tired too from all the disturbed sleep; and he just couldn’t settle because of the coughing, just heartbreaking, poor little chap. He’s had loads of naps the last two days and he hasn’t had daytime naps since October really, he’s so wiped out.

BUT when he was awake he had the energy to sneak up into my office this morning and disrupt my really only important call of the day to shout IVE GOT
COVID IVE GOT COVID so that was perfect 🤣🤣👌🏼