Testing times - Covid in 2022

Ella77

Re: Testing times - Covid in 2022

Post by Ella77 »

Fingers crossed!

I wish they'd let us have more boosters if we want them. I'd be willing to pay (but I don't think access should be limited to those who can pay).
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

We had a big industry conference this week in London. The rules were very strict with regards to covid with the venue specially chosen to minimise risks. My colleague flew in from Toronto (layover in Boston), he's tested positive and can't get home.

He's assuming he caught it on the flight and was asymptomatic for a few days and testing negative and now positive. He's to test again on Monday.

I think you should be ok Chicky, and have ventilation as Ella mentioned. You should be fine.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I would happily have another one too. Maybe in the autumn they’ll think again?

So many people I know have had it in the last 6 weeks or so. More than at any other time during the pandemic. Inevitable as we get back to “normal” I guess.
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

My Mum's still waiting for her Spring one. She's meant to be getting one at home like she did previously as it's such a faff getting her out. Needs a hoist to get her in and and out of wheelchair and any external appointment would need to fit in with carers who come 3 or 4 times a day.
Tried contacting her gp and they just say they'll get round to her at some point. Bit concerned as I've seen reports of the Spring booster finishing end of June. Think it be Wales but then it might also apply to England.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

My aunt got Covid three weeks after her second booster. :ella: She'd already had Covid, 2 vaccines, 2 boosters and she still got it. Fuxache.

(She's fine...said symptoms were the same as a heavy cold.)
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

A guy in my team is off today because his MIL has just died from it, and her husband is hanging in the balance. They were fully vaccinated and boosted too. It's just awful. I feel so bad for everybody involved as they were so incredibly careful and it still got them.
Little My

Post by Little My »

How dreadfully sad, ella.

I expect the government will provide more boosters in the fall, after riding out relatively low numbers during the summer, but who knows.

We have had a couple of very near scrapes in recent weeks, but none of us have tested positive.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Oh my god that’s awful Ella!
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

The Standard are reporting that ONS have confirmed a 43% rise in infections in a week.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I have just seen that TC. I have been WFH for the last two weeks and will continue to do so as about 10 people from the office have tested positive over that period at varying times.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

That's really sad, Ella. That poor family!
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I'm in a similar situation to you, Chicky. I had a meeting yesterday with one of my team, in a small room :look: Of course, they have now tested positive for Covid. I have looked online and can't really see any guidance apart from vague stuff about avoiding people. I have no plans this weekend anyway other than seeing my mum which I'll cancel. I did a LFT this morning as I was going to another school and I feel okay at the moment.

Between that meeting yesterday and finding out today, I have seen about 10 different staff as I was in the office, at another school, and back to the office :look:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Zoomer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:44 pm That's really sad, Ella. That poor family!
I know, I’m so sad for them. She had dementia too, and they had been married over 60 years :cry:.

I hope you all continue to avoid it. Stay well.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It feels like completely the wrong time for hospitals to be ditching masks, but they are. We were told non-public areas could be mask free, and checked, it didn’t apply to the library (obviously). But then two days later, all bets & masks are off.

Even with all we know now about how to treat it, and the vaccines, people are still dying & it’s awful.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

You can still wear a mask if you want to, though?
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Oh absolutely. It just feels really weird.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Both wearing and not wearing!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Men (as a group) react REALLY badly to women wearing masks nowadays.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

It’s such a counter-intuitive move. I’ve got a lot of cognitive dissonance going on between moves like this (Pip’s hospital) and the news about a 43% increase in cases, new variants and text messages from blood.co.uk urging people to attend appointments ‘despite the current covid situation’. It feels like gaslighting.
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

Our hospital has ditched masks as well for non-clinical areas. There's staff wandering round the main corridors without masks as well. Hardly sets the best impression to the visitors & patients. I'm in a student library and all I can do is put a note on the door saying we appreciate mask wearing. Though to be fair to the students they've been better than some of the qualified staff.