Testing times - Covid in 2022

Ella77

Re: Testing times - Covid in 2022

Post by Ella77 »

Oh, god, I missed that and thought you were choosing it, Dic. So sorry. Have edited.
Disco

Post by Disco »

No that's fine Ella! Don't worry. I haven't chosen it as such but I guess we've all spoken with our choosing to remain WFH.

I'm fine with it Rosa, I think. I have been into the office maybe 8 times since March 2020 and never felt like I wanted to get back into daily office world.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

It seems like it could be a good move then! I hope it continues to work out well for you.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

And bugger. I’ve had way worse colds than this.

If I was infected on Friday the 6th, what’s the likelihood of me getting a negative antigen test by next Wednesday?
Glint

Post by Glint »

Unfortunately, it will depend on your system - I was testing positive for 10 or 11 days (as was S) but Mr G was negative after 5 or 6 days (our first known infection vs his second).

I hope you continue to stay fine.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

My first test taken last night, was negative. I'll do another tonight. Does anyone know at what point one assumes it's a sinus infection/flu etc.?
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

MrE has been ill since Saturday. It’s only after his third negative test on Weds that I finally 100% believed he was unwell with something other than Covid.
Starry

Post by Starry »

overthehill wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:57 am That's the thing I never understood here - people who were clearly ill and highly infectious, being driven by a (presumably) healthy friend or relative to a test centre. By the time we got Covid they were only offering PCR tests to particular, vulnerable groups, so we wouldn't even qualify. We were meant to log positive antigen tests, but you could see by the numbers that people weren't bothering. Luckily, we haven't needed to make any foreign trips that needed a test.
You qualify for a PCR if you need a recovery cert for work or travel and have had a positive antigen test, no matter what your age.

That law firm thing is really dodgy. They have lower costs by not having you in the office and you have higher household costs by working from home. That should surely negate the need for a pay cut.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

There’s also a high chance it would lead to an ever greater pay gap between the sexes, because more women will work from home.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Yeah I think it’s really dodgy too, and I imagine places are going to be challenged on it.

They are assuming you will be saving on commuting costs, but they don’t know that, and it’s a slippery slope where an employer gets to dictate your salary based on what they think you are spending your money on!
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Yes, if anything I’d think it would deserve a pay rise to cover costs of electric/heating by being at home more, and the business having huge savings on no longer paying for office space.

My base location is London so I am glad I don’t actually have to commute :look: :lol:
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Yes, I am gobsmacked that this has gone beyond a penny pinching managers fever dreams.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Princess Morripov wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:10 am Yes, if anything I’d think it would deserve a pay rise to cover costs of electric/heating by being at home more, and the business having huge savings on no longer paying for office space.
Aye. I get paid "rent" by my company to cover the extra costs of me working from home. It's written into my contract (I'm WFH full-time since 2013) and I think is French law.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I finally tested positive and I'm so sick my doctor is putting me on paxlovid. If this is how bad it is after two vaccines and a booster, I'm v lucky I didn't catch Covid pre-vaccine.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Five, that's terrible. I hope you feel better soon.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Oh no Five. Sending get-well wishes to you.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Thank you, both. The 13 in my family all tested negative (and all vaccinated) before we got together on Sunday. Now four of us are sick and everyone else is still testing negative.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I hope the treatment takes effect quickly Five. That sounds horrible.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Five, I really hope you start to feel better soon.

I went for a PCR test today (I thought I might need that as part of an insurance claim but we’ve been able to shift our cruise booked for Wednesday out a few weeks) and the doctor/nurse who administered it said to me “So you have Covid and a cold?” which seemed like an enormously stupid question.

Anyway. Thankfully mine’s not getting worse. Today I’ve been quite tired and the only other notable symptom I’ve got it a blocked nose and ears.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I’m sorry Five, hope you feel better very quickly.

Me and A said the same, in that we couldn’t imagine how awful we’d have felt if we hadn’t been triple vaccinated as we were pretty rough and it took a good two weeks plus to feel “normal”.