Testing times - Covid in 2022

Rebel Pebble

Re: Testing times - Covid in 2022

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Mr R estimated mask wearing in LHR at about 10%. I didn't ask him about the plane. He wore one but did baulk at 11 hours in an FFP2 so just used disposables. He also took some of our LFTs with him so he could test while he's out there.

The fewer people that wear them the less effective they are so I guess you could wear one and still catch it at that ratio.

I didn't isolate from him when he had it back in March. If I'd had upcoming F2F work at the time I would have but as I didn't I decided I might as well get it if was going to. Which I didn't.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I wouldn’t waste time wearing one of those surgical masks, to be honest. It’s all such a gamble though, especially with almost nobody bothering now and people openly being more aggressive about it when others do.

I hope you all feel better soon and it’s only mild.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Yes I hope everyone in the June cohort continues relatively mildly!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Mr C wears a mask with a valve on it and was told he wasn’t allowed to wear it on a Delta flight he took recently. Even though masks aren’t mandatory. So he had to take it off - fortunately he had a spare FFP2 one with him.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

So he didn’t have to wear a mask, but they wanted to dictate which optional mask he optionally wore :ella:?
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

That's weird, Chicky.

Although the removal of the testing requirements for the US saved us £40 or whatever, it was quite nice before that changed when we could assume everyone on the flight, if obviously not at the airports, would have at least tested.
Last edited by Rebel Pebble on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Ella77 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:37 pm So he didn’t have to wear a mask, but they wanted to dictate which optional mask he optionally wore :ella:?
Yep. He was furious. I think he actually had Covid at the time too, so it’s just as well he had an FP2 with him.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I know the ones with a valve pose more of a risk to other people, but… those people could have worn a mask if they were worried 🤪.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Well quite.

I feel rotten today. Really heavy cold and nasty cough. I told work I was off ill, I don’t want to fall into the trap of working from home just because I can. I don’t think they’d want me to cough my way through virtual meetings anyway.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Don't push yourself too hard. I think you're right to take the time as sick leave.
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

Definitely agree with taking time off, Chicky – I'm self-employed and couldn't work for a good few days as I felt so ill (never usually take time off ill). I'm feeling much better now but still having to take things fairly easy as I get tired very quickly. Hope you feel better soon.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Chicky wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:13 pm Well quite.

I feel rotten today. Really heavy cold and nasty cough. I told work I was off ill, I don’t want to fall into the trap of working from home just because I can. I don’t think they’d want me to cough my way through virtual meetings anyway.
Same here, I was thinking about going back tomorrow (ie to WFH) but I think I'll leave it another day. J is also off work and I can't remember the last time he was off sick. He had a high temperature last night and has had a rotten headache. I have similar symptoms to you, and the cough is awful :cry:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Everyone has such horrible symptoms despite being vaccinated. :( Hope you all feel better soon.

Make sure you do rest up. I tried to work through it on the first day and really shouldn’t have as I was so ill.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Be careful, sickies - you can feel not too bad and then get walloped by it. Horrible thing. I hope you all feel better soon.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Hope you’re all feeling as well as can be expected

I thought this was interesting (quote from Tim Spector).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... infections
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

How are you both doing?

I've just had a message from someone I met face to face this morning, announcing that she had symptoms this morning and has just tested positive. How about a) testing this morning then or b) saying you have symptoms so we could do it online? Now I'm in my third trimester my baby is at risk of being stillborn or premature if I get Covid now so it's particularly aggravating when people are cavalier.

My dad has Covid so I'm a bit worried about him but apparently his symptoms aren't too bad.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

That’s just awful of her, Ken! All the blasé people should be forced to understand the impact of their lack of concern for others.

Everything crossed that you’ve avoided it :fc: :fc: :fc: And I hope your dad isn’t badly affected.

I’ve felt crap today but I was trialling fewer meds to see how I really feel, so it’s my own, overly optimistic fault :ella: J and I reached peak cabin fever too, which resulted in some very awkward hours of confinement together. It’s all fine now though. Just no one look under the patio :look:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

:lol: I hope you turn the corner soon and can have some time apart. ;)
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

That’s really crap Ken. I was thinking of emailing my employers with a plea that they encourage staff with symptoms to test every day before coming in, even if they think it’s hayfever. We still have free tests available so it wouldn’t be a hardship. I’ve just had a week off work because someone didn’t test.

I think I’ve finally turned a corner this afternoon, I can breathe out of more than one nostril :perky:
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Hurrah for double barrelled breathing! :frolic: