Testing times - Covid in 2022

Topcat

Re: Testing times - Covid in 2022

Post by Topcat »

I had it in the run up for Christmas and although I was never sick I was knocked bandy for an entire week. I was also constantly negative, so I presumed it was just some minging virus that I had caught.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Same here. It was noticeably worse than when I had actual covid. I think it’s a nasty flu strain that the vaccine isn’t touching.
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

H1ppychick wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:50 am Same here. It was noticeably worse than when I had actual covid. I think it’s a nasty flu strain that the vaccine isn’t touching.
Yes, I caught something like that at the end of November, never tested positive and yet it was infinitely worse than the actual Covid for me. My oxygen sats were hovering around 91-92% for several days and I was completely exhausted doing anything. I reckon it took about five weeks before I was fully recovered. I can't remember being ill like that before.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I had flu 12 years ago and it was much worse than the bout of COVID we had over Christmas, although that was bad enough.

I think people* sometimes don't realise how bad flu is until they've had it.

I used to hate it when people at work said they had flu when they'd been off for two days with a head cold.

* Not you personally :))
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Also I hope you feel better soon.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Yes, Brambs! I had “proper” flu about 14 years ago and I actually couldn’t even get out of bed for 3 days, I’d had the flu jab too so possibly could have been worse than that, and same with getting irritated at people bandying around that they’ve got the flu when they’ve had a cold :verm:

I hope you feel better soon Luce, I’ve had a few friends have similar but not covid recently so it definitely seems to be doing the rounds.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

They said the test for flu is if you saw a £5 note on the ground and didn’t have the energy to pick it up. When we had flu 12 years ago I was properly bone weary, I’ve never felt so bad as then. Covid wasn’t fun, but it wasn’t as bad as that.

C has a nasty cold right now that’s been affecting his sleep, but it doesn’t sound as bad as what you lot are describing. Chunk’s caught it now too, so I’m not hopeful I’ll escape.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

My kids and MrE all got proper flu a few years back (pre-Covid) and it was the most terrifying experience. There was one night I literally didn’t sleep as I was just watching over them. They were so unwell. J had a 41 deg fever.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I've had a flu a few times and I felt much - much - more unwell with flu than I did when I had covid.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I had flu just before Christmas and it was the sickest I have ever felt (that wasn't food poisoning) and it was at least 4 days of in bed, sweating,, temps, the works. And then it became a chest infection and an ear infection and now 5 weeks later I'm mostly better. Covid felt like a bigger cold.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Aside from the virus last year I have had flu once and also proper hallucinating levels of tonsilitis which was horriffic. But none of them came close to how bad I felt with Covid.

But that isn't to lessen how grim that virus made me feel. I didn't get off of the sofa for a week.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Topcat wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:40 pm
But that isn't to lessen how grim that virus made me feel. I didn't get off of the sofa for a week.
Yes definitely. I was in bed for a week with covid and lost 10lbs :silverlinings:
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I’ve had worse colds than when I had Covid back in May. I hope you’re all feeling much better soon.

The final daily public lies restrictions here are ending on the 1st of Feb- no more masks on public transport and no quarantine if you test positive but are symptomless.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Luce wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:06 pm I’m not sure why I’m saying all this. Suppose in case others have experienced similar? I’m a bit traumatised by it all. I can still not move around without a sick bucket and I’m 8 days in.
This exact lurgy was rampant at my work at the end of last term. I was properly in-bed ill with it - off work for a week. I dragged myself in for the last week but I wasn't totally well until Boxing Day. I think the nausea is post-nasal drip ( :cry: ), sorry. The cough and ear pressure were the worst for me.

I don't think it's flu because our school was wiped out and we've all had flu jabs. It's not covid because everyone I know did fifty tests and never got a positive - also I had Covid in October so I don't think it's likely I'd get it again so quickly.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Why yes, of course I am now on attendance monitoring at work. :ella:
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Ruby wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:39 pm Why yes, of course I am now on attendance monitoring at work. :ella:
I would be livid at this! You'd think 3 years into a pandemic someone, somewhere, would have raised the fact that this policy needs to be updated. Fucking ridiculous.

I've just had another bout of covid - 3 months to the day after the last one - and if not for the worry about infecting others I'd take it over flu any day. I've only had the latter once, over half a lifetime ago, and have never experienced anything else like it.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Covid is the worst I've ever been ill, I think. Both times. Although flu is not far behind.
Derek Nimmo wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:55 pm
Ruby wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:39 pm Why yes, of course I am now on attendance monitoring at work. :ella:
I would be livid at this! You'd think 3 years into a pandemic someone, somewhere, would have raised the fact that this policy needs to be updated. Fucking ridiculous.
Well, yes. The reason everyone was so ill is because we have just started sending warning letters home for kids and fining parents for persistent absence again. So obvs everyone was sending their kids in when they were spluttering everywhere. I don't just mean a sneeze here and there, I mean kids puking in the corridors and coughing so loud and long in lessons that we couldn't teach. :woteva:
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Such a lack of logical, joined-up reasoning!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I just got another one of those letters about Squeak’s attendance. You know, for the two weeks she had off due to to planned surgery. And that they knew about when they sent the last letter and she’s not had any time off since.

We’re allowed some discretion as managers, and to completely discount Covid.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:18 pm I just got another one of those letters about Squeak’s attendance. You know, for the two weeks she had off due to to planned surgery. And that they knew about when they sent the last letter and she’s not had any time off since.
Holly got one of those after being advised to stay at home for five days with a concussion she received playing rugby......at school.

I get that its box ticking but its also fucking judgemental in my eyes.