March exercising

sally maclennane

Re: March exercising

Post by sally maclennane »

wendy james wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:43 pm
sally maclennane wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:36 pm
wendy james wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:38 pm Is it specific exercises you don’t like sally? Or areas trained?
Some of it is certain exercises but that happens in e ery class. It's more that I feel a bit "behind" the other people in the class who all seem to have been doing it longer. So feel like I'm constantly asking for help/direction :l: I know the instructor doesn't mind and she keeps the class small for that reason but in some ways, it makes me stand out more if that makes sense!

Also, I find all the chit chat a bit tedious :antisocial: She loves all that and is always posting about how she wants to create a community and how friendly her groups are, which is a bit overkill to me :lol:
I didn't come back to this sooner as I wanted to reply properly rather than on my phone to say I GET YOU! It was the same for me when I started training with our calisthenics instructor. I only went along initially because she started an early morning class she called 'Foundations'. The only other 2 regular attendees were both much stronger than me so I was forever doing modified exercises. I still am now, 18 months later (though not quite as modified :lol: ).

And she's the same with the social stuff. Constantly talking about 'the tribe' and that. I reckon it's part of being a PT nowadays, or so it seems. Not helped that I'm in a Patreon member and we have our own WhatsApp. Tbh, I just ignore most of it nowadays. Even in handstands, which is the chattiest class, I leave the more vocal ones to it most of the time.
I'm so glad you get it :))

I agree about the social aspect of PTs, and I think my person was made for it! She loves it, she constantly posts on IG (maybe I should stop following her :idea: ) about it all, and talks about it in the classes. The other people seem to love it too, which makes me feel like more of an outlier.

I still feel like a real novice, I always need lighter weights than other people, and I can't remember week to week what weights I can lift. I suspect if i asked her for advice, shed suggest doing more classes. Probably true but I don't feel inspired to do that. I have 4 more classes (paid for a block) and then I think I'll call it a day if I'm not enjoying it.

It's frustrating though, I want to do weights, I just need to find a way that suits me better.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I don't know if you're open to YouTube exercise from the comfort of your own home, sal, but I recommend Heather Robertson for weights. There's no chat at all, just the exercises and rest periods. I really rate her and I'm going to start a 12-week programme of hers next week (it'll take me much longer than that to finish it!).
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I also like Caroline Girvan for that style of YouTube workout (though have abandoned her for now as I’m on a Step roll just now)

Body Step 120 last night.
sally maclennane

lazzbo wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:00 pm I don't know if you're open to YouTube exercise from the comfort of your own home, sal, but I recommend Heather Robertson for weights. There's no chat at all, just the exercises and rest periods. I really rate her and I'm going to start a 12-week programme of hers next week (it'll take me much longer than that to finish it!).
Not really, I'm much more likely to go to a class than exercise at home. I'm not very disciplined, and in fact naturally quite lazy :lol:
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Me too but that's why I can't be arsed to leave the house to exercise. :)) I just want to get it done and then jump on the shower!
sally maclennane

I'm too easily distracted at home :)) If I book a class, I'm much more inclined to go and do it. If I'm at home, I'll say I'm going to work out, but I'll end up just watching TV or lolling on the couch.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve signed up to LM+ Bootcamp starting on Monday.

Last night we did Step at a much lower BPM than usual and it was weird because of having time to think. :) Once I got used to it, it was great.

Pilates tonight after a week off and I’m still feeling a bit jaded with it, but we did some good resistance band arms work which I like.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I hear ya, it's not for everyone. I wish I could find a real life Zumba or spin class to go to here.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Are the French not into Zumba? I’m not a mad fan of it, due to lack of coordination.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

They are but they want you to sign up in September for a year. You can't just drop in and do a few classes, it's so annoying. The only gal who did that, a lovely Polish lass who was married to an English guy, has selfishly moved away to Northern Ireland.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I'm not good at it but I just love it. :))
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Decided to shake it up a bit (and get frustrations out) by doing Body Combat 77 today.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

This morning's class was working in power cleans followed by a 30 minutes AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) 1 squat clean, 3 toes to bar, 5 wall balls (6kg).
It was really hard going to keep the momentum up for such a long length of time
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

That sounds hardcore, Wiggle! (And thanks, I never knew what amrap meant).

Efforts session on my own this morning. Was hard to get out but I enjoyed it - efforts reducing from 4 mins to 30 secs, getting faster as they got shorter.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I did Pump & Balance this morning. So looking forward to the new releases now, I’m a bit done with the current ones.

Kettlebells was a different instructor tonight. It was different but good different and really hard work.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I went to the gym this morning as Sproglette had set an alarm and didn’t know how late I’d gone to bed (I woke up before my alarm anyway!) but cancelled my lunchtime swim. I managed to squeeze in a nap before my 1:1, which was definitely a good idea.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I did Pump this morning. I am still enjoying Clap Snap Pippola, the squats track is a good one too.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Yes, those bits are good, I’m just bored. More of balance than pump.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Did the hill reps again tonight and dare I say it, it was rather easy. I will regret that tomorrow half way through the boggiest trail 8 miler in history tomorrow morning.

I need to do stretchy stuff, yoga or pilates or something but have no time to attend a class. Does anybody know of a Youtube or whatever absolute beginners class that I could look at? I am dead, dead nervous of doing it this wau in case I get it wrong and fuck myself up but I just don't have the time to attend a live lesson around here so it needs to be really, really basic.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I’ve just tagged you on my Pilates teacher’s FB post. She does sessions by zoom.