Menopausal, perimenopausal, not sure, come join me!

Rosa

Menopausal, perimenopausal, not sure, come join me!

Post by Rosa »

:perky:

So far, I've had a few hot flushes, my chin hair has increased, and my periods have gone from being regular as clockwork to all over the place. I also have an appointment with the nurse at my GP's surgery to discuss contraception for somone aged 49 1/2. I thought I wouldn't have to worry about all that nonsense by now, but there you go.

Edited to amend title.
Last edited by Rosa on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsu

Re: Menopausal, perimenopausal, just nosy, come join me!

Post by Tsu »

I know all this is imminent for me, but all I have so far is periods that are much heavier and a few days closer together than they ever used to be.

No hot flushes yet...
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Night sweats a plenty but no actual during-the-day hot flushes. To be honest, it would be an improvement to have them as I am perpetually cold.

I am hopefully at least a year off anything too major :fc:
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
mischief

Post by mischief »

My periods have been all over the place for 2 years either every two weeks or every 3 months and now I can't actually remember when I last had one but no hot flushes yet and no night sweats
Moody Blue

Post by Moody Blue »

Night sweats here :ella: So similar to Bramble. My cycle had a slight wobble earlier this year, but seems to have settled now. I did think it was kicking in earlier this year.

Oops!! Name chaned to protect the innocent!!! Sorry, Brambs and thank you Vodders!
Last edited by Moody Blue on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carocaro

Post by Carocaro »

Oh this brings it all back - I went through the menopause early - symptoms started when I was 40 and periods stopped when I was 41.

So if I can answer any questions I will try to help

HRT has been my saviour for the past yeast - I put up with the symptoms for nearly three years but they beat me :lol:
CaroCaro xx
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I am 52 and my periods stopped at 50. I have had night sweats though they have diminished a lot in the last few months. I have also had during the day hot flushes but they too have become few and far between in the last few months.

The chin hair thing means I pluck daily :mad: I have put on weight especially around my middle and am definitely apple shaped. This us partly due to menopause, stopping smoking and indulging in chocolate daily :ella: I need to address this.

I work with 99% men of which 90% are younger than me. However when hot flushing I just tried to relax and ignore it as much as possible (instead of inner panicking) and they truly seemed not to notice........maybe they thought their own cuteness was making me blush :)

Open to questions if you have any.
Annabella
Kay

Post by Kay »

I'm 50, periods can be between 18 and 35 days apart, though they are down to 2 days not heavy or anything, had a couple of night sweats and loads of day ones, moods can be unpredictable, facial hair.. been plagued by them all my adult life (pcos) and some are turning white and thicker. tell you the truth I cant wait for my periods to stop.. Is that bad ?
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

It's a long time since I was innocent :))
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

And I wasn't Reading this thread :look: :))
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

The hot flushes are weird, like an intense blush starting with my face and moving down my body. However, they have reduced greatly since I stopped drinking wine, and I found even a small glass brought them on.

I'm now going several weeks between periods, and they're becoming lighter, which is better than the more frequent heavy periods I had for a while. And I agree, Lady Kay, I can't wait for them to stop completely. Surely that's the best thing about the menopause!

Caro, I'm pleased HRT has been so helpful for you. I haven't even thought about that, I'm just going to see how it goes and keep an open mind. Are you taking anything, Annabella?
Tabbycatblue

Post by Tabbycatblue »

I'm 48 and a half. My periods once completely regular, now occur randomly, maybe once every couple of months, I shall be pleased to see the back of them. Contraception is not an issue as Mr TBC is sans prostate. A few months ago, I experienced regular hot flushes (flashes?) and night sweats, but these have dissapated to once in a while. Will consider HRT if symptoms become hard to deal with. Face (mainly chin) has got very hairy - mainly fine blond hairs (I'm quite dark) with the odd wiry grey or dark lurking.
Tabbycatblue

Post by Tabbycatblue »

Carocaro26 wrote:Oh this brings it all back - I went through the menopause early - symptoms started when I was 40 and periods stopped when I was 41.

So if I can answer any questions I will try to help

HRT has been my saviour for the past yeast - I put up with the symptoms for nearly three years but they beat me :lol:
Oh, how did you feel about early menopause?

And thanks for offering to answering questions and also to Annabella for same thing. I'm sure there will be some along the way.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I am not taking anything Azu. Some of my friends are on HRT. Some just went on it as a matter or course as soon as they were nearing menopause.

I am a lazy bugger and can't be faffed to make GP appointments (maybe it is just my practice that makes appointments an obstacle course) to talk about alternatives. I did take some herbal "menopace" for a while to ensure I was getting all the normal vitamins and minerals, but I ran out one month and didn't get around to buying more and have not felt any different.

Apart from my current chocolate addiction I do eat lots of veg and salads and think my diet is reasonably healthy.

I think if your symptoms are debilitating and/or adversely affecting your day to day life and your GP advises HRT to help then go for it - but I don't want to take something for the sake of it.
Carocaro

Post by Carocaro »

[quote="TabbycatblueOh, how did you feel about early menopause?

And thanks for offering to answering questions and also to Annabella for same thing. I'm sure there will be some along the way.[/quote]

It as a bit of a shock to be honest :)

Mr CC and I had just moved in together and to be honest to begin with I thought it was the stress of living with someone after about 7 years on my own :lol: then I thought I was pregnant which would have been both brilliant but a disaster as even though I really wanted another child timing would not have been great.

I had a miserable couple of years with what felt like constant PMT and terrible hot flushes - I would literally pour with sweat :ella: and have to go outside!!

But it was grim for the rest of the family and Mr CC who is the most patient man I know was relieved when the HRT decision was made :lol:

I too hadnt wanted to take something for the sake of it and also because of my age I would have to stop taking it when most women are only just thinking of starting it but I feel 10 years younger so it was the best decision for me.
CaroCaro xx
Soomoggy

Post by Soomoggy »

I'm joining, although I'd like to be in denial for a while longer.

The hot flushes, erratic periods, mood swings, itchy, bitchy ... buggerit :grump:

I tried HRT but felt worse so decided not to bother, I do take DHEA which I buy off the internet because you can't get it in health shops, I think it helps but it's not legal to buy in the UK yet. It does seem to lessen the symptoms.

Yes Azu, wine does seem to make the flushes worse, I drink loads of water which helps and my doctor gave me amino acid tablets which open up the capillaries and make the hot flushes fewer and quicker to dissipate.

Oh I'm nearly 52, how did I get to be so old :cry:
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

One thing I have noticed is PMT. I never used to get it, but now I'm a miserable cow for a week a month.
Kay

Post by Kay »

Something else I've noticed, the week before aunt flo was due I get sore boobs and bloating in general now I get nothing which can catch me off guard, I'm having go about armed with tampons/pads just in case :ella:

Acne which I suffered with from my early 20's has now stopped

Has anybody tried using Evening Primrose oil.. and is it worth getting.
Last edited by Kay on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Onds

Post by Onds »

I'm 54 and haven't had a period since January :perky:
It's great not having to worry about the flooding I would regularly get, or the pain.

I'm not taking HRT, mainly because I already take quite a lot of other stuff and also as my GP is anti. I am a delight to live with :flollop:
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

I started taking EPO in 1997 for breast pain and it's marvellous. I take 2000mg a day. Definitely worth a try.

Don't buy the really cheap ones though. the Efamol ones are best but I take the Boots brand. They've recently changed the capsules and I much prefer them. They're usually on 3 for 2 too.