Menopausal, perimenopausal, not sure, come join me!

kiwi

Re: Menopausal, perimenopausal, not sure, come join me!

Post by kiwi »

I spoke to a doctor this morning about going on HRT, she didn't quibble or mention any shortages so after I've had a blood test to confirm she will prescribe it for me. It didn't occur to me until afterwards that at 54 with definite signs of menopause I wouldn't have thought a test would be necessary but I'll go along with it. I've been managing ok with menopause until the last few months, now I've had enough and want all the drugs thank you.

I've also been diagnosed with osteoporosis of the spine and osteopenia in my hips and other bones (found after I broke my shoulder a little too easily last September) so have to start a high calcium treatment.

So I guess I'm officially in the club. :cry: On the plus side, cheese.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

That’s great Kiwi, although the blood test is totally unnecessary and be prepared that it may show you are not in peri - hormones fluctuate so wildly daily that they bloods may have been taken in a good day!

Doesn’t mean you are not in peri though, so make sure they still let you have the HRT!

Sorry about the osteoporosis though, I know HRT helps reduce the risk if that, I wonder if it helps even if you’ve already developed it?
Skips

Post by Skips »

If they are taking bloods they should be doing two tests six weeks apart.

I managed to find a sympathetic pharmacist who managed to sort me out. My GP had no idea there were issues with what they had prescribed me.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Hobbes you've made me ring the surgery & leave a message for the doctor to say I think it's unnecessary so just give me the drugs! The receptionist is going to pass the message on so hopefully the doctor will agree. Even the NHS website says tests usually aren't needed after a certain age.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

kiwi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:38 pm Hobbes you've made me ring the surgery & leave a message for the doctor to say I think it's unnecessary so just give me the drugs! The receptionist is going to pass the message on so hopefully the doctor will agree. Even the NHS website says tests usually aren't needed after a certain age.
That’s great Kiwi, hope you’ve managed to get the HRT?

NICE guidelines state that FSH blood tests are not needed when women within the right age range present with peri symptoms (and they can be many and varied!) They are a waste of your time and NHS resources, and it makes me angry that so many doctors insist on them before prescription. Plus I still keep hearing of so many women being offered anti depressants which won’t help at all if it’s hormones you need.

HRT prescription is meant to be based on symptoms, and there is no harm in women trying HRT for a couple months, as it’s safe and doesn’t stay in your system past when you stop taking it. If it makes a difference to your symptoms after a month or two then you know that’s what you needed!
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

No HRT yet. The doctor came back with a message to say they would still like me to have the blood test so I replied quoting the NHS website saying it was a waste of bloody time. Now I've had a text this morning confirming my appointment for blood pressure and blood tests, but this might be for the blood tests I was having done anyway. I have asked the question.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

It's frustrating that so often women still have to jump through hoops to try HRT. It's not for everyone, but if we say we want to give it a go, when clearly in menopause/perimenopause, we should be able to! And the shortages need to be sorted out.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Rosa wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:53 am It's frustrating that so often women still have to jump through hoops to try HRT. It's not for everyone, but if we say we want to give it a go, when clearly in menopause/perimenopause, we should be able to! And the shortages need to be sorted out.
Totally agree. My hrt is out of stock of course. I think I'm going to write to my MP about it. Thangham.
Malan
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I have found it much more reliable to get the prescription filled at my local pharmacy rather than going via the ePharmacy, the online one is frequently out of stock but I've not had any problems getting the meds from the bricks and mortar one when I go in.

I'm on Sandrena and Utrogestan, if that helps?
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Thangam is excellent. I think we’re going to be kicked out of her constituency though :cry: /offtopic

There is an excellent in the Times today about the fuck up around the HRT is dangerous message. It sounds like a cross between the MMR travesty and the ‘the pill gives you clots’ clusterfuck from a couple of decades ago. Someone on one of my fb pages has screenshotted it so I might be able to share on the Turtle fb group but if anyone can copy and paste here it would be much easier!
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I wasn't sure whether to say here, or in a separate thread, but I've started so I'll finish! :) I'm having a hysterectomy in a couple of weeks. I've continued to have some issues (bleeding and discomfort caused by fibroids and cysts), and after yet another hysteroscopy (this time under general anaesthetic), my consultant suggested removing the lot. I'm well up for that, although I know it's a big operation.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Urgh. That’s sounds horrible. It sounds like the the op is for the best and I hope it goes well. x
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Good luck Rosa. My mum had one due to a prolapse and has never looked back.
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

Having my hysterectomy was hands down the best thing I ever did

It was Dec 2015 and in all honesty it gave me my life back

Happy to answer any questions. I had everything out by keyhole
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Thanks! Mine will be keyhole too, and hopefully just an overnight stay.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Me too Rosa. I hope it all goes well for you.

I haven’t got a date yet but I’m having another appointment with the consultant tomorrow. It hasn’t been straightforward and I’ve gone round the houses a bit. I had a failed op in November and since that didn’t work, the hysterectomy is the next step.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

All the best to you, Squirrel, and I hope tomorrow's appointment goes well. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long for the hysterectomy if that's what's needed.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

All the best, Squirrel and Rosa! A hysterectomy can be life changing, I know from experience with my mum. Squirrel, I'm not sure what the reason for your previous op was but I got the Novasure treatment earlier this year and that was a game changer for me - otherwise I'd have been looking at a hysterectomy too.

https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patient-leaflet/ ... -bleeding/
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That was one of the procedures that they tried but was a no go.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Good luck Rosa and fingers crossed for the appointment Squizz.

I've been great with HRT but this is the first time I can't get my prescription filled. Progesterone is out of stock everywhere. Thankfully every time I got my repeat prescription I added Evorel to the script even though I didn't need it so I have a small stockpile.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing