Menopausal, perimenopausal, not sure, come join me!

Cosmopolitan

Re: Menopausal, perimenopausal, not sure, come join me!

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I had a referral to have my mirena put in while under twilight sedation and its been smooth sailing ever since. Well, it sorted out the irregular bleeding but it doesn't do much about pms type feelings
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

Tranexamic acid has made such a difference to me (no more flooding, manageable levels of bleeding) so hope it works for you, Sally.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Thats good to hear, Demelza!

Cos, is twilight sedation when they give you diazepam? The GP mentioned it today when I said I was worried about insertion.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

No, they did an actual cannula in, and I was out of it. But you're not as far under as full sedation. Doesn't take as long to come out of it. It was basically a referral to a gynaecologist who then sorted it. He was really nice, basically wanted to ensure that the random periods stopped and given I'd had 3 failed inserts (by various GPS) it was an easy referral for my gp to make. If the mirena hadn't worked, he suggested the next option was endometrial ablation.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

I had endometrial ablation after which they placed a new Mirena - just to be extra sure! So far I haven't had any bleeding at all and I had it in May.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Can I ask if your HRT is a repeat prescription or if you have to hassle your surgery for a new script every time? I am three weeks through my first batch and things seem to be going OK on it but when I spoke to the surgery about getting it as a repeat at lunchtime, they said they don't issue these for HRT, which I have to admit I don't quite understand?

Even if it's a repeat prescription on your NHS app, a medical practitioner still needs to approve it when you request it, so I don't see why the need for the jumping through the hoops every time.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

H1ppychick wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:05 pm Can I ask if your HRT is a repeat prescription or if you have to hassle your surgery for a new script every time? I am three weeks through my first batch and things seem to be going OK on it but when I spoke to the surgery about getting it as a repeat at lunchtime, they said they don't issue these for HRT, which I have to admit I don't quite understand?

Even if it's a repeat prescription on your NHS app, a medical practitioner still needs to approve it when you request it, so I don't see why the need for the jumping through the hoops every time.
What are they talking about?
Mine is on a repeat prescription. Maybe send them an econsult asking the questions.
Malan
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

It was the desk receptionist I was speaking to rather than a medic, and she could have been talking through her arse. Or if it is a thing, then it's a practice policy rather than NHS-wide.

I have a follow-up call next Friday and she's flagged for them to issue a second prescription in the meantime so that I don't run out.
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

I've been on HRT since my hysterectomy in 2015 and mine isn't on repeat I think because technically you need regular blood pressure checks

What I do is when I order my other repeat prescriptions is when I start my last month I pop a request in the note part for HRT and it's never been a problem

I've definitely been told it can't go on repeat
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

My HRT is on repeat. It took a while but they eventually added it.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'm obviously in Scotland and mine is on repeat. I wasn't aware that it wasn't.

I am due a physical with the practice nurse but haven't gotten around to it.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Mine is on repeat, with just annual reviews, like my asthma medication.

They need to stop making women jump through such hoops for something so basic as replacing some of our naturally occurring hormones, honestly, it’s not morphine or something dangerous! :mad:
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

My hot flashes are back. I am steaming at the edges right now.

My work - who are brilliant about this sort of thing - organised a week of events for national menopause day. I attended a presentation about menopause and fat loss which was absolutely bloody brilliant. I'm going to see if I can get the materials used to go through again and I could post here if anyone was interested.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Oh yes please, that sounds interesting!
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Yes please, Bean.
Malan
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I'll see if I can then, if not I will watch again and make detailed notes.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I would also like to know about menopause and fat loss thank you please.

I have to have a bone density scan following my broken shoulder as there is a worry about osteoporosis. Getting old is such a joy.
Margo

Post by Margo »

I was put on citalopram a couple of years back for hot flushes, although I was quite resistant to taking it as it’s an antidepressant. I’ve been cutting down gradually and have not taken it now for about a month, with no effects coming back… I’m hoping I’ve come out the other side!
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Yes please, Bean!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

So, my anxiety levels are at an all-time high whilst my self-confidence is at a new low, the heat I give off could power a smelting plant, and my brain fog is getting worse. It has culminated in me coming downstairs this morning to find the front door slightly ajar and my keys (including car key) still in it :twitch: It's lucky I live in the safest, most boring suburb on the south coast!

It's nigh on impossible to get an appointment at my new surgery - no prebooking whatsoever - so I'm going to have to camp out at the surgery early one morning, doubtless to only be fobbed off by whoever I do get to see, but I have to try to do something as this is ridiculous.