Cheque help

Cosmopolitan

Cheque help

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I am utterly stumped, can anyone help me please?

I have recieved a load of cheques for my father (don't ask, he is so bad at admin) and he doesn't have a UK bank account and I am utterly stumped at how to pay them in. They're preprinted and say 'payee only' so I can't pay them into my account. He's given my POA (but in SA where he lives) and I've asked him to fill in the POA forms for the UK but I am not even sure that I will then be able to pay them into my account then?

Anyone got any clues about what I could try?
Edith Bacon

Re: Cheque help

Post by Edith Bacon »

Can you go back to people who issued the cheques, citing the poa and ask them to make the cheques payable to you or to do direct transfers into your father’s account?
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

They have previously refused to talk to me but I shall try them again. It's share payments so they take it all very seriously (which is good)
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Is there any way he can open a UK bank account (maybe you could do an online one for him?)
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

POA doesn't allow you to pay his cheques into your bank account. He needs to either open a UK account (may be tricky without showing any ID) or go back to whoever issued the cheques and ask them to make the payments to someone else or via some other means.

He is going to need to sort this out himself, though, it's not really something you can do for him. HIm being bad at admin doesn't make it your job to do it for him. Unless he lacks capacity in which case it is going to be complicated and you will probably need to involve a solicitor.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I'm not sure, I was wondering that but because he doesn't live here, he has absolutely no proof of address or anything. I know he could do a basic bank account but you have to open them in person.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

You can post the cheques to him and he can pay them into his account in SA? They will accept a cheque written in another currency, they'll just convert the sum at the time of banking using their current OTC rate. Otherwise I don't see how you could pay them into another account here, nor open one on his behalf due to Anti Money-Laundering restrictions.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

If he has online banking set up in SA he/you on his behalf might be able to pay the cheques in online?
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Sadly, the South African postal service is utterly shocking and he rarely receives things - cheques will definitely be stolen.

That has given me an idea to check whether the FNB have a branch here or someone who could send the cheques to a SA branch that way.