Economy drive

Roma

Re: Economy drive

Post by Roma »

That’s fantastic Lily! It’s such a great feeling to be in financial control isn’t it? To be able to think about buying property is amazing too!

The lease issue is frustrating Marth. Hopefully you can still get hold of the lawyer even if the practice has closed and get it sorted out. It’s definitely something they shouldn’t have missed.

Sharing the freehold might be a good option though if you have to spend the money anyway?
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

That's brilliant - well done, Lily. I'd be tempted to pay of all your debts - you'd still have £1.5k in savings which is not to be sniffed at. Are your debts all interest free?

ETA That sounds as if I'm offering to pay off your debts myself :lol:
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Yes, well done but I’d do as Nince says and pay off your debts first. It never makes sense to save when you have debt
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

...unless the debt is interest free and the savings are interest-earning.
Roma

Post by Roma »

H1ppychick wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:40 pm ...unless the debt is interest free and the savings are interest-earning.
I agree although psychological it can still be beneficial to pay off debts first and know there gone and all your money is yours now.

For the same reason some people overpay their mortgage instead of investing that money. They would most likely make more money out of investing, but the lure of being mortgage free is often greater.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

nineseven wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:29 am Oh no, what a nightmare! How did your solicitor miss that when you bought it? Presumably the previous owner didn't extend it using the statutory route, as that reduces ground rent to a peppercorn.

The lease system desperately needs reform.
I called a few estate agents today and ended up emailing a few local solicitors with leasehold expertise. One asked me for a copy of my lease and gave me a free call. He thinks it's fine, as far as they go, its one of the better doubling rents.

The Estate agents feel I should market by Oct/Nov to take advantage of the stamp duty freeze, so I think I'm going to go for it! Lots of painting and sorting and organising to do! :bob:
Malan
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Well that's better news! How exciting.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

nineseven wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:47 am ETA That sounds as if I'm offering to pay off your debts myself :lol:
You're more than welcome to! :lol: Thank you all, it's an incredible feeling. My debts are interest-free and while I'm tempted to use my savings to pay them off I really don't want to - I like the feeling of that cushion. Hopefully we will get a bonus, and that will cut a swathe through them. However, I'm not adding to them until my debt is gone.

Marth, I am so pleased to read that. What a relief!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Skips

Post by Skips »

Our current debt free date is end of December 2023 if I just make minimum payments. If I snowball my payments, I should have this clear by December 2022, but I'm aiming for September of that year. I've not had a payrise or bonus for three years so this is based on my current income not changing.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Good work Skips!

I'm still slowly but surely ploughing away. Finding I can survive on one income; who knew it?!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored