American Express - Shop Small

Lily
Picker-Lily

American Express - Shop Small

Post by Lily »

I've been reading up about this initiative and am very impressed. Does anyone have an Amex card and if so has Shop Small been a success for you and the stores you choose to visit? I know you have to pay for it, so I wouldn't get one at the moment, but the Shop Small thing has really inspired me to look into one (which is obviously the reason they're doing it!).
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Ella77

Re: American Express - Shop Small

Post by Ella77 »

This has been going for years. Every now and then I get a fiver back when I'm not expecting it, but it comes to about £10 a year if that, so it wouldn't induce me to change credit cards if I wasn't already going to. (I don't pay for my card though.)
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I have one (which I don’t pay for) but can’t say the scheme has changed my shopping habits.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I don't have to pay for my card either. Like Ella, it's good for the occasional surprise fiver but the scheme only runs for a few weeks a year so it hasn't changed my shopping habits.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I don't pay for my card either. I think I often miss out on the shop small bit as I get sick of asking if small places take it and being refused so I often just use my MasterCard unless I know amex is ok.

The other day I used it in a coffee shop and got told off by the member of staff (despite having a big amex sign up) as they didn't actually want to accept it. :lol:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Yeah, I don't pay for my card either. It seems a bit counterintuitive as a scheme - the smaller operations are the ones least likely to actually offer AMEX as a payment option due to its relatively expensive merchant fees (unless there are incentives for the vendors to take part like reduced fees etc - some sort of bait and switch initial reduction for a limited period of time to get them signed up that then reverts to standard terms).
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Kenickie wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:38 amThe other day I used it in a coffee shop and got told off by the member of staff (despite having a big amex sign up) as they didn't actually want to accept it. :lol:
Oh! :lol:

Another one who doesn't pay for my card. I always opt into the Shop Small scheme, and do get the odd fiver I wasn't expecting, but I don't actively seek out the shops that have signed up. As nine said, it only runs for a few weeks a year anyway, and if you have to pay for a card I can't see it being worth it. You could end up spending more in an attempt to make up the fee!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Bugger, it sounded like a really good idea! Ah well.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored