Wills

overthehill

Re: Wills

Post by overthehill »

Yes, R and I have been saying we need to do this for ages. The last Wills we wrote were about 20 years ago, and are totally out of date.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

We reviewed our wills and basically it passes to each other then onto our siblings and then their children.
I have written a note to say what should happen specially to Tom; apparently he's considered a possession.

We have also sorted both types of our lasting powers of attorney (health and welfare, property etc).
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

We made one when C was diagnosed with cancer but never signed it. It needs reviewing now really.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

You’ve reminded me, Wiggle. There’s a large sum of money to whoever takes on the cats (with various prerequisites for that) too, and something for Celia Hammond and a cat charity. I’m worth SO much more dead :ruby:.
Tits McGee
Topaz Titanium

Post by Tits McGee »

We currently have draft wills waiting to be revised and sent back to the solicitor. I made an appointment to sort it out when I was heavily pregnant and terrified of childbirth. :)) Like others, ours are to the surviving partner, whom failing to the children, and we’ve named my sister as their guardian if we both cark it.
I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

We really need to do this. I’ve (utterly ridiculously) put off doing it because I always get stuck on who I would like to look after the children - none of the sensible options are acceptable to me :cry: They are almost old enough to look after themselves now :ella:
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:49 pm I need to do this, and consider J now. I own the house (well, me and the building society do!) and I should leave it either to my brothers or my nephew and nieces, which J knows about and agrees with. However, I wouldn't want him to be kicked out straight away if anything happens to me. I think I can add in something to hive him some time to make arrangements.

I do need to speak to a lawyer, as I also need to check he can't make any claim on the house if we split up :look: I'm fairly sure he can't as we're not married but probably best to check #romantic
I need to do exactly this. I don't currently have a will and someone said recently that due to the time we've lived together S would be considered my common law spouse and given the house. 🙄

I want to leave everything to my niece aside from small amounts which are to go to other young people who's lives I was involved with. So that when I die all the young people get a bonus cash gift from that mad old women they knew. 😂 I'd want S to be able to stay in the house until he wanted to leave though so if need to include that somehow.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I am really stuck on this. I want M to have everything (the property anyway - it's in my name only and we're not married) but when he dies I don't want everything to go to his brother (and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't either). I'd like anything that's left to be split among my nephew and my friends' children. But I don't know if I have to trust M to make a will stating this (not that I don't) or whether I can state this in my will in any kind of binding way. So, of course, I do nothing.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I'm fairly sure that common law spouse is a myth, Shoe, but we should probably check with actual lawyers :lol:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Does Scotland have common law in that regard, Shoe? It doesn’t apply in England, although lots of people think it does.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

There's no such thing I'm afraid Shoe. You'll need to make a will and specifically state your intention as it'll all go to your next of kin.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
rosy

Post by rosy »

After the fiasco when my mother died intestate, and then ten years after that my father died with a will made 20 years previously (he said he’d made a more recent will but it was never found after his death), then I’m begging everyone to get a will made and update it regularly :beg: even if you think you don’t have anything to leave.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Edith Bacon wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:06 pm We really need to do this. I’ve (utterly ridiculously) put off doing it because I always get stuck on who I would like to look after the children - none of the sensible options are acceptable to me :cry:
Same! Really we'd like my sister and P's sister to move in together and have them as we don't like either of their husbands. :look:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I'm pleased common law spouses seem to be a myth, it seemed like a stupid thing. 😂
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

My will was straightforward. I die it goes to Mr with some allowance to Mini, he dies everything goes to Mini. Essentially one way or another Mini inherits everything. We did it was Mr D's next of kin if he survives me is his family due to not being Mini's dad so we had to preserve her inheriting my estate (I'm using estate in the loosest sense). I'm sure his family would see her right but folk go crazy when there's money involved, even the last folk you'd imagine.

I've also set up a living will due to Mini being an only child so that any decision to my potential care has been taken out of her hands.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I keep thinking this thread is about the Duke of Cambridge. :lg:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

:)) Sorry it isn't that interesting!

I had my will written by Beyond. It was v straightforward and I got 25% off for going via Popbitch (POPBITCH25). :look: I just need to get it witnessed hence my double-checking that I'm doing it right.

If my SIL and brother give £ to my parents and niblings, they won't get taxed on that will they?

It's never occurred to me to cut my SIL out of it, but I suppose I ought to leave everything to my brother to be on the safe side. My grandparents divided their estate between their 3 children but left bequests to the inlaws.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:15 am I keep thinking this thread is about the Duke of Cambridge. :lg:
The rest of us aren’t on first name terms.
Luce

Post by Luce »

My children are being left to very close family friends (I've known her since we were 3, our parents are best friends, more like family - and they agreed to it before we put it) because I think my sister/her husband are loving but essentially terrible parents :look: The idea of them raising my kids gives me a very tight feeling in my chest. We explained it to them that, if T and I die, the kids will need guardians AND Aunts/Uncles. I'd be happy for my BIL/SIL to have them but really don't want the kids to have to move to London.

All of this is only if my parents die too - they're having the kids if me and T cark it.
smalex

Post by smalex »

My sister and BIL would get W, even if my parents are still alive. We're all in agreement about this. Informally we've agreed I'd take my nephews (I'd fight tooth and nail to have them, tbh) but I don't think it's in their wills. I don't *think* any of my BILs family would object to that, but I do wish they'd write it down, to avoid any potential difficulties.
Speaking of which, this has reminded me that something was said a while ago that made me believe MIL and stepFIL dont have a will, or at least not an up to date one. I really hope they've done one now, or that's a can of worms we'll be left with at some point.